Sega CD?

Well first we would have to get a Genesis emulator, and no one really know when that will come. The Sega CD is probably doable on GP32, but I think it would be pushing it. And Sega CD games are ( I believe) too big to put on 1 smc, so the odds of getting a Sega CD emulator are pretty low.

no unless you cut all the sound / video out then it would be alot like emulating a genesis which has also yet to happen but if it were to happen then the games would be so badly cut doown it would suck. games like sewer shark would never ever happen.

you know what? i love the genesis, but the sega CD and the 32X (add-on unit) never did anything for me. granted i never even played with 32X until I saw it emulated, but regardless.

I am hard-pressed to think of an actual "good" sega CD game. well not good but "MUST-HAVE" -- there's a couple of interesting titles but nothing that can be passed over in my opinion (never been a fan of RPG's)

Anyway, to the point - I am no techie, but I would suspect sega CD emulation wouldn't be impossible on GP32. Unlikely, but not impossible. Let's put it this way - if the scene blows way up and there's suddenly a huge amount of interest in it, then perhaps, but as it's going, I wouldn't even give it a 25% chance of actually happening (prove me wrong!) Anyway, it 'should' work for the same reason that turboduo/pcEngine CDrom emulation should "theoretically" work : there are already emulators for PC that will play these systems with compressed rips (game data is a couple MB ISO, and the music is referenced as MP3's). So that's what I am going off of, filesizes aren't so terribly huge.. as to whether the GP32 has enough power to run each system, that is another matter and your guess is as good as mine.

The SegaCD was not just a CDROM stuck on the side of a Genesis. It had quite a bit of additional hardware to get games to run faster. Take a look:

Model Number: MK-1690 (r1), MK-4102 (r2)
CPU: Motorola 68000 @ 12.5MHz
Memory:
6Mbit (Program, picture data, sound data)
512Kbit (PCM waveform memory)
128Kbit (CD-ROM data cache memory)
64Kbit (Backup memory)
1Mbit (Boot ROM)
Sound:
PCM Sound Source:
Stereo, 8 Channels.
Sampliing wavelength: 32MHz max.
D/A Convertor:
16-bit D/A convertor
8x Internal over-sampling digital filter
PCM and CD sound mixing.
Mixing with mixing terminal possible
Audio Characteristics:
Wavelength characteristics: 20Hz-20kHz.
Signal/Noise Ratio: Over 90dB (1kHz) (Line Out).
Stereo channel separation: Over 90dB.
Misc.
Battery Backup Durection: Approx. 1 month
1x CD-Rom Drive Speed (150kb/s)
Audio Out: L/W RCA pin jack.

So no. I don't think this could ever successfully be emulated ON TOP of a full speed Genesis emu.

Battery back up duration - 1 month....my Sonic CD save has been fine for 2 years. Anyhoo I love my mega CD and 32X it's so satisfying building the thing, it's like techie lego and it looks like it could run anything once built. My only problem with it is that it requires a power adapter for each part so that's 3 huge Sega adapters, and they don't all fit into one 3-strip together making for some serious plug jiggling.

Anyway look at todays PC sega CD emu scene, it requires quite a decent (500Mhz +) machine just to get Sonic CD running comfortably on frameskip 0.

Back