World Of Goo

HackModford

I know this has been discussed before, but I've never played the game before so I didn't pay much attention I would do a search it don't work for me.

Today I played it to see (what is this world of goo?).... Wow :blink: It's amazingly simple yet fun and awesome all rolled into one, and it would be awesome on the Pandora :lol:

Anyways could world of goo be ported for Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
'HackModford' said:
I know this has been discussed before, but I've never played the game before so I didn't pay much attention I would do a search it don't work for me.

Today I played it to see (what is this world of goo?).... Wow :blink: It's amazingly simple yet fun and awesome all rolled into one, and it would be awesome on the Pandora :lol:

It could be ported, the question is whether 2dboy is serious about doing so. It's been stated that the Pandora makes for a useful stepping point to the iPhone. But I don't believe that there's been anything beyond that discussed here.

The main issue is that we don't have the source for it so they'd really have to do it.

'HackModford' said:

It's closed source so not by anyone here. Ask the devs of the game.

short answer: no, it's closed-source.

long answer: Yes, but we've already asked the developers who said: "Can the Pandora do lots and lots of floating-point physics?" and we said "eh..... mm....."
edit: Maybe that's what they said about the iPhone. I forget. The point is, the Pandora has very poor floating point, and not a whole lot of fixed point math to go around, and World of Goo is very CPU-intensive.

They would have to make significant changes to their engine to make it work, and I don't think they're interested yet.

'lulzfish' said:
short answer: no, it's closed-source.

long answer: Yes, but we've already asked the developers who said: "Can the Pandora do lots and lots of floating-point physics?" and we said "eh..... mm....."
edit: Maybe that's what they said about the iPhone. I forget. The point is, the Pandora has very poor floating point, and not a whole lot of fixed point math to go around, and World of Goo is very CPU-intensive.

They would have to make significant changes to their engine to make it work, and I don't think they're interested yet.
Who told them that floating point on Pandora is "very poor"? The right answer would have been "if you use the SIMD engine then you can get a lot of performance out of it." It's not nearly as big of a change as moving to fixed point is and I imagine that eventually there will be compiler support for doing it w/o vectorization. If Wii can do it then Pandora is probably at least in the ballpark. We can't be talking about high-end PC levels. "Very CPU-intensive" is very relative.

What about this:
1. Goo uses IrrKlang
2. IrrKlang is essential to the gaming experience of Goo because it provides the music output.
3. IrrKlang is closed-source
4. IrrKlang hasn't been built on ARM
ergo:
1. IrrKlang can't be used on the Pandora
2. Goo can't use IrrKlang on the Pandora
3. Goo will lack its awesome music.

Solutions:
1. They have to use another audio engine when porting
2. IrrKlang has to be ported by their devs.
3. They just ignore us and decide it isn't worth the effort.
4. We play Goo without sound on the Pandora.

(I enjoy using logic chains sometimes:p)

Questions remaining:
1. What does Goo use for it's sound engine on the Wii?
2. Are there other libs that would stop development?

Well, it's not poor, but the WoG demo only performed "pretty well" on my Linux Core 2 Duo-
Wait, I was using WINE, wasn't I...

The point is, the Pandora doesn't have as much floating point ability as a full-sized desktop, and that's something they'll have to work around for a port. Unless I'm hallucinating and nobody ever said that WoG used massive amounts of floating math.

'dflemstr' said:
What about this:
1. Goo uses IrrKlang
It was a last minute decision to change sound library to irrKlang. If the WoG team had to I don't think it would be very hard for them to change it yet again.
Note: The Wii version also uses irrKlang.

dflemstr:

If they're just playing 2D music, how is it in any way hard to move to SDL_mixer to play a few tracks and some small sound effects?

They use positional 3d audio (or just the 2d parts of it, but it's not just stereo mapping), and I think that they also use features of irrKlang such as velocity-by-distance reduction, doppler effect simulation, linking of ODE and irrKlang via basic irrLicht scene nodes, etc... (But I could be plain wrong and it might indeed be possible to use SDL_mixer)

I don't think the music is going to be a big issue... setting it up to use a different API instead should not be a huge task, especially if some of the more 'advanced' sound features are just forgotten about (is the doppler effect really going to make much difference?).

Steve

A Pandora-optimized port is possible, but barring any new information from 2D Boy, it should not be considered likely.

just to add: somewhere I read WoG used an opensource physics engine... (was wikipedia I think)
CODE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Goo#Development

If lots of people optimize and port that stuff on the pandora, we might get a chance maybe :p

dflemstr said:
What about this:
1. Goo uses IrrKlang
2. IrrKlang is essential to the gaming experience of Goo because it provides the music output.
ergo:
Caster uses IrrKlang.

But it also uses SDL/SDL_mixer (temporary for Linux initial rollout...) and it's been ported over to use OpenAL for iPhone.

It's nice, IrrKlang, but I'm strongly thinking SDL/SDL_mixer or OpenAL will work just fine in a WoG port to Pandora. 3's dead off. ;)

'lulzfish' said:
Well, it's not poor, but the WoG demo only performed "pretty well" on my Linux Core 2 Duo-
Wait, I was using WINE, wasn't I...

The point is, the Pandora doesn't have as much floating point ability as a full-sized desktop, and that's something they'll have to work around for a port. Unless I'm hallucinating and nobody ever said that WoG used massive amounts of floating math.
Like I said, it was released for Wii. That's not a full-sized desktop.

'dflemstr' said:
What about this:
1. Goo uses IrrKlang
ergo:

Solutions:
1. They have to use another audio engine when porting
2. IrrKlang has to be ported by their devs.
3. They just ignore us and decide it isn't worth the effort.
4. We play Goo without sound on the Pandora.

(I enjoy using logic chains sometimes:p)

Questions remaining:
1. What does Goo use for it's sound engine on the Wii?
2. Are there other libs that would stop development?
Your logic is flawed because you based your assumption on sound being the blocking point :lol:
In fact the physics engine is the main bottleneck (this was mentioned somewhere in this forum). The good news is that that physics engine is BSD licensed: ODE
CODE
http://www.ode.org

Using NEON in ODE could make World of Goo doable; or said otherwise: without ODE using NEON, World of Goo on Pandora can't happen.
If I had hardware I would consider converting ODE to NEON, but as I don't I won't bother :p

'HackModford' said:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=world+of+goo+site%3Agp32x.de

:lol: That was great! Gonna use that site all the time now!

'HackModford' said:

I don't think anybody's quoted the below in this thread...;

Iphone? Pandora? Thanks to those of you who have suggested ports to mobile platforms. We hear you, and we'll see!
It's from the contact page on 2D Boy's website. ;)
CODE
http://2dboy.com/contact.php

Back