World Of Goo

Laurent said:
Your logic is flawed because you based your assumption on sound being the blocking point :lol:

Hey, this doesn't make it flawed. I didn't say that it was THE major blocking point, but A major blocking point :p
Laurent said:
In fact the physics engine is the main bottleneck (this was mentioned somewhere in this forum). The good news is that that physics engine is BSD licensed: ODE
CODE
http://www.ode.org

Using NEON in ODE could make World of Goo doable; or said otherwise: without ODE using NEON, World of Goo on Pandora can't happen.
If I had hardware I would consider converting ODE to NEON, but as I don't I won't bother :p
ODE uses no external libs afaik, so you could get some good NEON optimizing compiler to do the work for you if there is such a compiler, and just recompile the whole thing.
And ODE is really scalable iirc; I remember using it on some 1000 kHz chip once, with 1 CPS/FPS :p

Last edited by a moderator:
'dflemstr' said:
ODE uses no external libs afaik, so you could get some good NEON optimizing compiler to do the work for you if there is such a compiler, and just recompile the whole thing.

I took a quick look at the code and it would need a lot of work before a compiler can vectorize anything in it. And gcc stinks at vectorizing (and also stinks at NEON :p ).
And ODE is really scalable iirc; I remember using it on some 1000 kHz chip once, with 1 CPS/FPS :p

You like slideshows? :D

Isn't Iphone using an older OMAP Platform? Why would Pandora not be able to run it if IPhone is?

'mcobit' said:
Isn't Iphone using an older OMAP Platform? Why would Pandora not be able to run it if IPhone is?
It's not an OMAP, but, compared to A8, it has a real (read "pipelined") FP unit.

'mcobit' said:
Not an older OMAP, but it is using predecessors of the Pandora's CPU and GPU. The big sticking point is that iPhone's CPU has a fully pipelined FPU while Pandora's doesn't. To get good FPU performance out of Pandora you have to use its SIMD coprocessor instead.

Of course, this all assumes it'll run okay on iPhone in the first place, which we have no idea of.

Hm, all i hear is that a good Floating Point performace is good for almost all games. I hope it will be easy to programm for the coprocessors else it would maybe scare off some developers or porters.

Back