World Of Goo Linux Version Available

'spaceballs3000' said:
''emcp'' said:
''''Svartalf'''' said:
''''spaceballs3000'''' said:
But from a business perspective, with only a limited number of Pandoras to ship, I really don''''''''''''''''t see them motivated to port it.

Heh... With a Linux port, you pick up X86 Linux and...

Nokia NXXX hand helds...
BeagleBoards...

and...

Wait For It...
PANDORAS.

The truth of the matter is that they''''ve done a goodly portion of the needed work by doing a Linux version. You only need to tune for the display space (if that) and maybe input layer diffs and you''''re pretty much done.

possible a week even less, but certainly not more than a month

4000 pandoras in firt batch £10 each, £40,000 for a weeks work mmmmmm

legal and hosting issues would be a problem, but i cant see any in this project, hence why there is a fairly good chance of it coming, if they can be bothered, remember theyre need to buy one, or they will want to buy one for testing, so its not totally out, its not highly improbable, just a little on the unlikely side

Your logic is flawed.

4000 pandoras != 4000 sales

Remember 2dboy did that drm free thing, and found out the piracy rate. --> http://2dboy.com/2008/11/13/90/
What makes you think the 2dboy team will think otherwise that the pandora be any different?

Also out of 4000 Pandora, (I guess) only at most 2/3 would be interested in the game to even try out (just not their type of game.) So with 2/3 (3000) at 90% piracy rate = 300 sales * $20 = $6,000.

Now like you said factor in they need at least two pandoras (one dev and one test) and few week to do port /cross-compile and test...

If they were smart, they have other low hanging fruit to pick before going to an pandora port.

All of this changes of course if one of the 2dboy crew is a pandora fanboy...

mmm <_< <_< ;) ;)

do you not think i realised that, plus i already knew the SUSPECTED piracy rate of world of goo

but theres gonna be more than a first batch <_<
plus figures are useless, its just assumptions, logic stands little work fair amount of pay, just depends whether its enough for them seeing theyre on wiiware etc

also when did i say pandora was top priority, personally if i was them it would be iphone next if possible

also from mainstream community to a community which might have a bit more respect for developers, piracy rate would probably lower a fair bit, obviously not totally gone, no where near it infact

Last edited by a moderator:
"do you not think i realised that, plus i already knew the SUSPECTED piracy rate of world of goo"

You previous comment of 4000 pandora = 4000 sales, says you didn't realize that.

The Linux port of World of Goo was handled by someone other than the original two-man team. I participated in the Linux beta a little, and Maks Verver was the guy handling the port. Considering they brought someone else in to do that, perhaps if a good Pandora programmer volunteered they might be open to having him/her do it?

Game is made for a stylus. Played it on my mini-tablet (5.6") and it worked perfectly.

Performance was perfect at 800Mhz Pentium M with GMA 950 which are both more powerful parts, but atleast that leaves hope.

Anyway, I enjoyed this game alot. I'd pay an extra $10 for an extra level pack, but I wouldn't pay for it again just for the Pandora.

'PoisonedV' said:
You make a lot of incorrect assumptions. I'm so sorry.
Actually he does have you pegged pretty well. There's a definite pattern of you being on the opposite side from everybody else. It's a truly rare day indeed where you're agreeing with people or citing something that actually contains any insight at all into why.

It's really not an incorrect assumption when most of the posts you make can be described in the fashion that he stated.

As for world of Goo, it does look pretty addictive, and the graphics are sweet.

icurafu said:
Performance was perfect at 800Mhz Pentium M with GMA 950 which are both more powerful parts, but atleast that leaves hope.
Actually, the GMA is a weaker part compared to the SGX. It doesn't do T&L amongst other things.

I'd say that the odds are good that we might see a real version thereof. They've said they were interested but they're swamped so they'll put it to one side until they find time or can be convinced by someone that it can be made to work right on the Pandora.

'hedwards' said:
'PoisonedV' said:

Actually he does have you pegged pretty well. There's a definite pattern of you being on the opposite side from everybody else. It's a truly rare day indeed where you're agreeing with people or citing something that actually contains any insight at all into why.

It's really not an incorrect assumption when most of the posts you make can be described in the fashion that he stated.

Correct; PoisonedV really has no clue about most of the issues he "discusses" - if that is an appropriate word for his methods of trolling.

As for world of Goo, it does look pretty addictive, and the graphics are sweet.
It is pretty addictive - rather than listen to people like PoisonedV, just go out to pretty much any game review site that's rated the game and make up your own mind. There's also a PC demo to download iirc - though windows only... The game has a great storyline to it, and gameplay that paces itself nicely, with puzzles that are easy at first glance but take a few tries to get it just right.

I finished it pretty easily... but then went and did it again, and again, and again... just because the game is so much fun to play.

D.

'PoisonedV' said:
'stustaff' said:
'PoisonedV' said:
another indie game being highly praised simply for the sake of being indie. its not that great.
Heres where I guess that you dont have the game or if you have havent played past the 2nd world!(Maybe 45 mins in)

So again your just posting the opposite view because you are bored/have nothing better to do, your likr a sophisticated troll on here 60% of the time.

Apologies if I'm wrong maybe point out the big change that happens just before halfway through the game to show me I am?

Sorry, but you're a dumbshit and your post is wrong. Stop making assumptions that suit you. I've played the game, I preordered it infact (on PC so i could get the 'swear' pack or whatever and then I bought it again on the wii hoping for a different experience)
Being the sole voice of dissent doesn't make me a troll, but calling me one for being that bring you dangerously close.

Uh. Yeah, so he put his point through tactfully and acknowledged that he might be wrong. You made a blaze statement not backed up by any facts at all and then swore at someone who didn't agree with you. Which is what you always do. Although not necessarily in that order. I don't know why I'm bothering trying to communicate with you, but I really don't understand why you come on these forums. My guess is you're a billy no mates and have nothing better to do than 'bully' people on forums. Please don't correct me if I'm wrong. Sigh.

'Svartalf' said:
'icurafu' said:
Actually, the GMA is a weaker part compared to the SGX. It doesn't do T&L amongst other things.

Technology wise, yes. But performance? I'm still waiting for the magic drivers that will fix the performance issues on the SGX 535 used in the atom boards.

Good news about world of goo. When I was down over christmas, my whole family enjoyed it. It's just a game that is easy to pickup and play. My brother was playing it on some sis videocard so it should be fine for the Pandora.

'Dunny' said:
'hedwards' said:
'PoisonedV' said:

Correct; PoisonedV really has no clue about most of the issues he "discusses" - if that is an appropriate word for his methods of trolling.
I have plenty of places I could troll. Why would I do it here, on a forum dedicated to consoles I enjoy that I have invested well over a thousand dollars in over the years that I've been on for 2 and a half years with a scrutinizing team of moderators? Youre a moron.
Just because an assumptions follows a train of thought that you deem logical doesn't mean its correct.

icurafu said:
Technology wise, yes. But performance? I'm still waiting for the magic drivers that will fix the performance issues on the SGX 535 used in the atom boards.
Those are the ones Tungsten and Intel made. While I have the highest respect for them, they're just now fielding something that will extract real performance out of GPUs- Gallium3D. It's going to be a bit before they get that 535 driver going well. In theory, it should paste our GPU and do quite a bit better than it does in the benchmarks- but because its shader compilation is very suboptimal compared to what we're getting it's actually NOT a good comparison right at the moment.

Good news about world of goo. When I was down over christmas, my whole family enjoyed it. It's just a game that is easy to pickup and play. My brother was playing it on some sis videocard so it should be fine for the Pandora.

Then it's more the FP that might be of concern. What class was the machine- the GPU's part of the concern, the other part would be the CPU itself.

'Dunny' said:
'PoisonedV' said:
Youre a moron.
Carry on, that logical train of thought is still gathering speed :p

D.

Chaps, can we all play nicely just for a bit?

If not - how about this:

1. Let's assume that PoinsonV is NOT just trolling, and posts honestly held beliefs and (yadda yadda). By repeatedly calling him/her/it a troll we just wind him/her/it up pointlessly, and unjustly.

2. Let's assume that PoisonV IS simply a troll. By repeatedly responding you are providing what a troll seeks - attention. There's a reason for the oft-repeated wisdom of "please do not feed the trolls".

Either way, it seems to me, we are unlikely to get positive unarguable proof but we ARE likely to decrease the fun on the board.

Just my two cents.

'Svartalf' said:
'icurafu' said:
Those are the ones Tungsten and Intel made. While I have the highest respect for them, they're just now fielding something that will extract real performance out of GPUs- Gallium3D. It's going to be a bit before they get that 535 driver going well. In theory, it should paste our GPU and do quite a bit better than it does in the benchmarks- but because its shader compilation is very suboptimal compared to what we're getting it's actually NOT a good comparison right at the moment.

Then it's more the FP that might be of concern. What class was the machine- the GPU's part of the concern, the other part would be the CPU itself.

Thanks for the information.

The laptop with the SIS card was a Sempron. Not sure which one. It was an $800 (Aussie) laptop a couple of years ago.

The CPU on my tablet would have been weaker. It's the 800MHz A110 found in the McCaslin board with the 133MHz GMA950 which isn't good for anything made in the last 5 years. (Except world of Goo)

Back