World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, maybe I should use a vpn to watch Star Trek Discovery and Picard on Netflix

hint, use https://invidio.us and enable the 'proxy videos?' option temporarely.

Sometimes you may notice that you cannot watch a video on Invidious. This is because YouTube is geoblocking, i.e. preventing access to videos based on your geographical location.
If "Proxy videos?" setting is enabled, then Invidious will proxy videos through itself

down with censorship! :cool:

Last edited:
This is probably the most interesting episode of Last Week Tonight I've seen so far, since it involves them being sued by a massively corrupt coal boss they reported on, winning the case and still losing $200.000 but instead of leaving it be making another episode on him. xD

haha, that was awesome! $200.000 well spent.
+1000 for EAT SHIT BILL! :D

good that we in germany/eu now have the Gesellschaft für Freiheitsrechte, which is kind of an local aclu, to try to prevent the worst.
The GFF (Gesellschaft für Freiheitsrechte / Society for Civil Rights) is a Berlin-based non-profit NGO founded in 2015. Its mission is to establish a sustainable structure for successful strategic litigation in the area of human and civil rights in Germany and Europe.

GFF’s initial cases focus on protecting privacy, freedom of information and freedom of the press against state intrusion, and on defending equal freedom for all. These are the realms that GFF’s founders are most active in and that currently present both particularly critical challenges as well as litigation opportunities. GFF’s longer-term mission is to help protect and strengthen human and civil rights in general by legal means, thus permanently improving human and civil rights law all over Europe.

Last edited:
hint, use https://invidio.us and enable the 'proxy videos?' option temporarely.
I assume I need to create an account there and log in to see these options?

Also I note there it says this video is banned in Australia, Canada, the UK, Israel and New Zealand. Basically everywhere developed with a majority of english speakers, apart from the US of course.

I assume I need to create an account there and log in to see these options?

Also I note there it says this video is banned in Australia, Canada, the UK, Israel and New Zealand. Basically everywhere developed with a majority of english speakers, apart from the US of course.

you don't need an account. just use the preferences in the right top corner. maybe accept an cookie locally to make them stick.
it's interesting to see where the content is banned. i really love this project.

What happens when science and politics collide. It's a sad world we live in sometimes

yeah, these greedy bastards had time since the 80's to rig and smear the scientists facts. (see post #762)
with technology advancing they can do it even easier. on the other side, without this communication-tech, we wouldn't know it, so...hmm...
we really need a society where these bastards are going to jail forever and 'their' stolen money to the victims.
after all, they 'own' about 90% of all money, so this could really make a difference in saving our nature environment that we need to live in.

good thing is, we keep these highly depressing facts in the world news/politics thread, so it can not infect our other topics, we need to stay positive!
if not, they have already won.
so... <3

@rSl Absolutely! For the most part, I ignore news and politics. Life is too short (and made shorter!) to get stressed about such things. Better to focus on things we have some control over - like retro gaming and programming :)

Reactions: rSl
After a hard day's work of agent provocateuring, undercover "protesters" in Hong Kong get in their police van for a ride back to the station
or an alternative view: Undercover police returns from a long days work. Gathering intelligence about where and when the next protest will be.

source: 9gag (so take it with a grain of salt, the video could be about something totally different)

Last edited:
  • Sad
I think the Cybertruck is the opposite direction to go for a Electric Car:
Whe don’t need another super size pickup truck, but a small Car which is affordable and big enough for its purpose: Shopping and drive one Person to work..

Also whit this Not Bendable Chassis, they can’t bring the Truck on the European Market as it’s lacks the „Knautschzohne“ (At impact, a Car have to bend to take the GForce of the instant bracke from the Passagers,,

Yeah, that has irritated me, in the past, we had shock-absorbers, which could be replaced, now, you car is a total loss after even a small impact because your engine is made to drop down and the chassis has to be replaced (and buying a new second hand is cheaper)

We still have shock absorbers, even in electric cars I suspect. They're the other bit of the suspension apart from the springs, and in spite of their name their actual main purpose is to stop the spring recoling so without them you'd rather boing down the road I think. The only thing old cars had to mitigate accidents were bumpers on the outside, and those were so close and so deformable that they'd only really save the rest of the bodywork in an extremely slow speed crash where you stop almost immediately.

I guess the difference between new cars and cars that are old enough is the chassis went right into the corners, so a slightly faster crash would impart more energy into whatever you hit. Of course if you prang hard enough to bend the chassis then the car's due for the scrapyard anyway.

And the benefit of an electric car is in the value of the motors and the battery. I understand that a new Nissan Leaf goes for about 22 thousand pounds, but a wrecked one costs about half that at present, because every man and his dog is buying a wrecked leaf for the powertrain. I guess Tesla powertrains from wrecked model S and model 3s is even more, but I've not heard the going rate for those.

@levi: Ah, my bad use of English, yes, I was meaning the small metal part behind the bumpers, which were external and replaceable. Nowadays, the whole chassis is a, uh, crash-absorber. It will fold except the cage where the human is in. Folding in such a way that the engine will not crash though your windshield.
This allows a driver to walkaway from a high speed crash, but makes you buy a new car when you hit a lightpole/streetlight.

I think the Cybertruck is the opposite direction to go for a Electric Car:
Whe don’t need another super size pickup truck, but a small Car which is affordable and big enough for its purpose: Shopping and drive one Person to work..

i wish we could also move in this direction (as it would be safer if everyone was in a smaller car). unfortunately, even if 99% of their driving is sole-occupant commuting, people still want their car to do the 1% of driving their family/friends around, taking road trips, etc. the other problem is that smaller cars aren't as profitable, so it's a lower margin business; car businesses don't want to go in that direction. (Myers EV looks like a possible contender in that direction, who i hope can make it.) asking for electric cars to succeed here, where lots of bigger car companies haven't, is a double standard.

i give Musk a lot of props for making electric cars cool and sexy, which you can take on road trips (the 1% that people complain about if it's not there). they're also super safe, because they can make the front part more of a crumple zone compared to an ICE engine. not sure how things will work with the cybertruck of course, though i look forward to seeing the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back