Guys , I Have Bad News!

Mithrildor

I Haz Custom Title
Website
Visit site
We are all waiting for the pandora and the pre order date. But I remembered some old news. 21 October , the end of the world. On that day they're going to build an blackhole! On earth! And that can be the end of the world.

Im so sorry guys we will never get to play on a pandora ever :(

:D

I'll take the risk and preorder anyway, at least I'll be vaporized knowing that I did the right thing xDDD

Mithrildor said:
We are all waiting for the pandora and the pre order date. But I remembered some old news. 21 October , the end of the world. On that day they're going to build an blackhole! On earth! And that can be the end of the world.

Don't worry. The Large Hadron Collider is offline. They damaged some of their superconducting magnets. It will take them at least two months to get them back online. (And then a month of testing after that!) Since they were already planning to shut down over the winter, The LHC won't even be powered up again until spring of 2009.

That gives us plenty of time to enjoy our Pandoras.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i will take my preorder ticket to the other side of the black hole :D :p

Mithrildor said:

Apparently, I heard something about the singularity would take 5 years to form into something dangerous, so we'll have plenty of time!

Mithrildor said:

Besides the fact that the LHC will not end the world which I'm sure you realize, but still, its been shut down for 6 months because a leak in a helium tank needs to be repaired, so they have to heat a segment of the 17 mile long tunnel down so that they can heat it from its -270 degree Celsius temperature to be repaired.

jhoff80 said:
so they have to heat a segment of the 17 mile long tunnel down so that they can heat it from its -270 degree Celsius temperature to be repaired.

If they just gave their repair people better mittens they could save themselves a lot of time. B)

PokeParadox said:
Time slows near a black hole due to it's epic mass... It's probably already stopped advancing and we're already trapped in the centre of a black hole... :lol:
Now that's a scary thought! Let's call S. Hawking, he'll know what's going down.

Time slows near a black hole due to it's epic mass...

Well, actually, even if the LHC did somehow create a singularity, it would not be a super-massive blackhole like you see in the movies.
A blackhole caused by a collapsing star that has eaten several other stars, would be truly massive. A black hole that's eaten part of a hydrogen atom would not really be that heavy at all. Obviously.

Wasn't that supposed to have happened on, like, 10th September?

Yes, I believe on the 10th there were the initial tests, and much later (several months) they said would start actually colliding particles.

PokeParadox said:
Time slows near a black hole due to it's epic mass... It's probably already stopped advancing and we're already trapped in the centre of a black hole... :lol:
interesting... but I think you're wrong.

Pleng said:
Wasn't that supposed to have happened on, like, 10th September?
Back on the 10th they went online and started testing with very low power beams. From what I've read I understand that they were planning a grand unveiling in mid October, after which they'd start ramping up to the high energy experiments that have got everyone so excited.

Though that schedule is shot now because they had a failure in one of their superconducting magnets that damaged some equipment.

Eversmile said:
COMPLETELY USELESS TRIVIA: The 10th of sept was my birthday!
Mine too! That's why I remember the article saying the experiments were taking place that day!

fade said:
Eversmile said:
COMPLETELY USELESS TRIVIA: The 10th of sept was my birthday!
Happy Belated Birthday :)

ahem... :p

scrag_10 said:
PokeParadox said:
interesting... but I think you're wrong.

It was supposed to be a bit of fun, to lighten the mood of our impending doom... :ph34r:

Back