World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Metal thieves' steal rail bridge in Russia
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-48517926

_107233170_bridge_life_yt3.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't understand why you'd breed dogs for striking characteristics at the expense of their health. Breeding for utility (herding, hunting, fetching, guarding) makes sense - but deliberately breeding dogs that can't breath properly or walk straight? Why?

I really don't understand why you'd breed dogs for striking characteristics at the expense of their health. Breeding for utility (herding, hunting, fetching, guarding) makes sense - but deliberately breeding dogs that can't breath properly or walk straight? Why?

Well Pugs are easier to carry when shouting out a war cry in battle.

giphy.gif

Cos the main utility of some of these dog breeds has been companion dogs for the weak and feeble. Plus, look at their widdle noses!

Reactions: rSl
twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1137777348919681024
John McAfee:
I've collected files on corruption in governments. For the first time, I'm naming names and specifics. I'll begin with a corrupt CIA agent and two Bahamian officials. Coming today. If I'm arrested or disappear, 31+ terrabytes of incriminating data will be released to the press.

I wonder, is worsening wealth inequality the result of weakening mass-education?

If, for example, schools that once taught people how to be productive and responsible are now teaching them how to jump through hoops, the result would be a generation of graduates who only know how to please 'the system'.
They would be at the double disadvantage of being both useless and easy to manipulate. Low real-world wealth would very likely result.

I also get the impression that, somewhere along the line, we've stopped valuing the kind of knowledge that comes from spending time with experts.
That may have been a serious mistake.

If, for example, schools that once taught people how to be productive and responsible are now teaching them how to jump through hoops, the result would be a generation of graduates who only know how to please 'the system'.
They would be at the double disadvantage of being both useless and easy to manipulate. Low real-world wealth would very likely result.
That is one part of the problem, another is, that intelligent and productive people still diverging from this mindset get shunned and unless they are born into money don't manage to get the many certificates anymore which are required to get a job where they can use their potential.
This is particularly the case in Germany too where everyone is obsessed by certificates of all kinds which don't say that you are a genius at work, but that you manage to fit in by not being too individual and have been willing to be exploitet a lot.
Since the CDU wasn't able to block minimum wage in Germany anymore, there are three year apprenticeships which give you those certificates for everything, even flipping burgers, so that there's still a slave work force available. Good workers either don't make it in or through that time and nobody who isn't living at his parents anymore (so above a certain age) can even afford that since the wage is usually lower than the rent when it comes to that, which is also one of the reasons why you have little chance of getting any apprenticeship with an age above 25.
I got a straight "A" testimonial by the working place I had to endure over the last ten years (where I had to rise up from unpaid to minimum wage in the course of years), but since I couldn't afford university after school (didn't get the usual credit needed to finance that) and was "overqualified" or didn't come from the right area for any apprenticeship I tried for, I have nothing but my abilities, experience and that testimonial now and seem to have no chance in getting an apprenticeship or job somewhere else (with lower rent than the capital) and I'm applying a lot since August last year because I really want to get out of my circumstances.
So if anyone has a job in a place with acceptable rent for a good worker with diverse experience but without certificates after the Abitur, let me know...

Last edited:
I wonder, is worsening wealth inequality the result of weakening mass-education?

I think that we're having a blind faith in education as the way to suppress inequalities. Your mass-education can be perfect but as long as some students lack healthy meals, restful nights and/or a positive environment, they will be at a disadvantage.
Better mass-education is a must for a more equal society, but you'll need to fight inequality elsewhere for it to work.

I think worsening wealth inequality is the result of capitalism, which will always tend to concentrate wealth in the hands of a few. You could theoretically avoid this, but it has never happened so far, except during/after world wars where some of the wealth got redistributed. And I don't think that a system that relies on world wars to regulate itself is a good one.

Great, now you can let anyone say anything publicly. The next level of libel and an easy way to get opponents out of the way.
Wasn't there a sci-fi story where pictures and videos are no longer valid as "proof" for the reason that fakes are indistinguishable from genuine recordings anymore? I think it was "Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep", but am not sure, could be another one, possibly also by Philip K. Dick.

One does wonder what the humble individual can do to break out of certificatism (if that's a word).

In theory, it should be possible to build a CV out of genuinely meaningful achievements, both in serious hobbies, and professionally, and use that to get recruited by a manager who is seriously looking for valuable employees. (i.e. not one of those careerist HR drones who live only to tick boxes on a speadsheet). In theory.

If only it were as easily done as said!

I sell seashells by the seashore. But they are free for Pyra owners!
Great! I'll come by once I get my Pyra unit!

Well, my idea is that all tweets, foto's and videos are signed, and kept in a Blockchain. This way, you can verify if the media is authentic and has not been tampered with. To keep the blockchain small, we can keep CRC's only in the chain itself, not the media. But you need a central authority, or else the half+1 can change the chain and force their faked version onto the others.
I find it important because due to updates, a tweet can be updated or deleted and you can still reconstruct the truth by comparing it to an individuals personal blockchain.
A paper newspaper can not be changed, but electronic editions have been silently modified, to change or even remove controversial articles. Love the WayBackMachine for that!

break out of certificatism

Edit: Sorry, I did not understand your statement well.
Same here. The problem is keywords. Your CV is not even viewed by a human until you hit those special keywords. Only then, when a human looks at it, you can describe your worth. That's where your first page must shine... and if it's good, they read the rest.
I also never hit those "at least 10 keywords". My keywords are too vague. Nobody is looking for somebody who is "trustworthy" or is "semi-automator" and "king-of-oneliners" (unix, not puns ;) ), no, keywords are RHCE and not "blackbelt-in-googlefu"...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back