World News Thread (Politics,whatever)

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by Wally, Apr 14, 2018.

1. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

Yeah, although last time I installed debian (I think it was a squeeze/6 iso I used), I wouldn't expect many physicists to be able to answer all of those questions it asked me. Perhaps debian's installer is simpler these days, I wouldn't know though; these days I've gone arch on everything I own, and the Pyra will be my first debian machine for years.

2. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

Nope, I love Debian, and I have it installed on my main workstation. But the installer is just silly. It suggests a 360MB /tmp partition... a few paused youtube movies and it's full... which means the system slows down to a crawl.

levi likes this.
  3. levi

4. Tenka

Tenka Snakes and Fish

Roger McNamee speaking in a podcast episode by Sam Harris. Politics are stupid, both in the ignorant voters' world and the manipulative leaders' world, our society is a sorry and unjust model. This is largely sad, but it's still refreshing to hear educated observations from outside of that fight.

levi likes this.
  5. Klumpen

Klumpen Run away! Run away!

[​IMG]

rSl and rygD like this.
  6. Klumpen

7. levi

Should have been posted to the facebook thread, but thanks for it regardless.

8. Klumpen

9. Klumpen

10. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

FBnil likes this.
  11. levi

Sometimes the news is absurd.

Klumpen likes this.
  12. Klumpen

"Why did you try to kill me for the seventh time now?"
    <Well, it's not as if I'm gonna be successful with it, so what are you worried about?>

Representative democracy in a nutshell.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 13, 2019, Original Post Date: May 13, 2019 ---
    37290145_2127966320812283_4105155867802861568_n.png

FBnil, levi and ClockworkCoder like this.
  13. ClockworkCoder

ClockworkCoder Chaotic Neutral

I think that's a really good idea, especially if it could be used as the only source of income for addicts (smokers, gamblers, alcoholics) as their only source of revenue for their habit, while simultaneously generating electricity via a generator.

Of course the gamblers would be counting on not using it for long, so that would be a win-win.

14. FBnil

FBnil Ready to Champion the Pyra to the World...

Poor cocaine addicts... at the street prices of their fix, they will need to work overtime.

15. Klumpen

https://www.lto.de/recht/nachrichte...-verfassungwidrig-parteien-chancengleichheit/
    https://translate.google.com/translate?source=osdd&sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.lto.de/recht/nachrichten/n/wahl-o-mat-europawahl-2019-verfassungwidrig-parteien-chancengleichheit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nudge_theory

The electronic "decision" helper prior to our elections is made by the government, which heavily "nudges" people into the direction of the corrupt parties currently in power by putting them in the first places and limiting the number of parties you can compare your stances with to 8.
    That has been rated unconstitutional now and that was about time. I always tended to look for the last ones in the list to turn that "nudging" around.

xnopasaranx, rSl and FBnil like this.
  16. JDTAY

JDTAY Half Pepperoni, All Cheese

Today I learned that video game loot boxes are illegal in Belgium, since Nintendo just announced they're shutting down Fire Emblem Heroes and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp in that country.

This does raise some concern that companies would rather end games than fix them. It's probably just because Belgium is a small market. If we could get the US to pass similar laws, we might see more mobile games with ethical business models.

I think there's a good chance it'll happen too, since most states run their own lottery here, and they don't want people gambling in video games when they should be participating in state run gambling instead. ;) BTW, I spent $13 on state run gambling last week and didn't even get a digital loot box. :(

rSl and levi like this.
  17. Klumpen

Cyanide & Happiness was banned from Facebook for three days because of this:
    [​IMG]

rSl and FBnil like this.
  18. levi

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48363772

HiSilicon, the designers of Kirin chips for Huawei's phones have had their ARM design license revoked by the aforementioned chip designer (the former is chinese and the latter is british, but I guess has interests in the US). I wonder what else this is likely to affect; I don't know where in the world chips like the Pine64 come from, or the Mx8, but to be honest I'd be slightly surprised if they weren't made in china. I guess the question is where they are designed however.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 22, 2019 at 11:43 PM, Original Post Date: May 22, 2019 at 6:23 PM ---
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/22/qualcomm_found_guilty/

Apologies for the reg link, but I couldn't find anything better.

TLDR; Qualcomm have been found guilty in requiring customers to license its patents shitness before being allowed to purchase their chips. We kind of had an idea of the shenanigans that went on behind closed doors when looking for cpu suppliers but this shows at least some of what goes on.

ClockworkCoder and FBnil like this.
  19. rSl

rSl **** COMMODORE 64 PYRA V2 **** 4GB RAM SYSTEM

so now it's a good time to show off some badass chinese risc-v processor designs huawei & co.
    this would be cool because we get more choice, less ip bullshit and some fresh competition.

FBnil, ClockworkCoder and levi like this.
  20. JDTAY

JDTAY Half Pepperoni, All Cheese

Nintendo Enthusiast is reporting that Trump is proposing increasing tariffs on games consoles manufactured in China from 10% to 25%. The ESA has already responded, saying that the games industry creates a trade surplus for America and shouldn't be targeted.

They say this applies to parts too. Hopefully this doesn't affect the Pyra too much.

EDIT: Well, I suppose it wouldn't apply to parts that go to Europe and get assembled before coming to the US. My bad.

Last edited: May 24, 2019 at 8:03 PM