Wishing you a very merry christmas with some short news!

I've seen the by/until mistake made by more Germans. I think it is due to 'bis' being able to capture both.

As for idioms, they tend to translate very poorly and are hard for non-native speakers in general.

English, simplified English ( :p ) and International English are idiomatically quite different languages.

There are bound to be mistakes. The intended message is clear from context, isn't it?

I've seen the by/until mistake made by more Germans. I think it is due to 'bis' being able to capture both.

As for idioms, they tend to translate very poorly and are hard for non-native speakers in general.

English, simplified English ( :p ) and International English are idiomatically quite different languages.

There are bound to be mistakes. The intended message is clear from context, isn't it?

Yes - we all know what ED meant.  I simply found the turn of phrase interesting and thought I would share a humorous anectdote.  ED's command of the English language is superb.  It's the idioms, many to many verb tenses and grammatical paradoxes that can be harder than amassing vocabulary for anyone when using a second language.

Not necessarily. Irrespective of idioms, false friends, and other such pitfalls whose effects, at least judging from my personal experience, tend to be rather visible in comparison, misunderstandings that are an effect of the people who are taking part in a conversation having different implicit expectations about how communication works can be quite difficult to detect.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaaCRPQ3My8

Sometimes grammatical mistakes can completely reverse the meaning  of what you are trying to say.  When I highlighted the difference between overseeing something and overlooking something recently I got the impression that some people thought I was just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking, but the reason I had mentioned it was because ED had effectively said the opposite of what he meant, and that's never a good thing to do unintentionally.

Another one that I've seen people from European backgrounds have trouble with (though not around here that I can recall) is the difference between stopping something and stopping to do something.     I was reading a story a while back where one character says to another "Stop to yell at my girlfriend" where what they really meant was "Stop yelling at my girlfriend".   The former actually means to "stop whatever else you might be doing and start yelling at my girlfriend", exactly the opposite of what was obviously intended.   While in that example it was obvious what was intended, there were a lot of other places in the story where the same mistake had been made that were a lot less obvious.

-Neelix

hohoho, merry xmass and a happy new year to all, especially
ed and nikolaus + gc-team!

will substitute my pandora/pyra news-addiction visiting
irc for shure.
ed, take your time for a smooth upgrade-ride.

"uprading, please grab a coffee..."
hmmm....great... coffee! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Merry Christmas! I received the signed and numbered PYRA PCB board yesterday. Just in time for Christmas. Thanks!

Wow, that went really fast!

I'm so happy, this website finally works again with Opera Webbrowser (yes, I'm still using the old outdated version with all its features).
:happy:

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year everyone! Thank you so much for the smooth move to the new boards, EvilDragon - <vocoder>YOU ARE AWESOME!</vocoder>

Thanks for the update!

Oh damn! I haven't been back in the community for years. Hi guy!!!

Merry Christmas folks! I'm unwrapping gifts now!

idea: Carbon neutral Pyra: The box is wood or bamboo. It sequesters carbon. Ekiango did this years ago.
using less watt also helps keep the footprint low. (undeclocking available)

Merry Christmas everyone! Eventually the Pyra will be out, and then ED can have another Christmas with all that money he can obtain.

Back