Wishing you a very merry christmas with some short news!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
And a last, quick update before the boards will go offline...

Nikolaus worked hard and tried to get me a fully working prototype set before christmas - he's so close, but time ran out.

He had a little fight with random crashes while booting which took a while to figure out, but it seems he found the culprit now. Getting the power circuit to work properly (where hardware and software have to work together) is quite a bit of work :)

He also coded the driver for the RGB LEDs and the keyboard backlight and those LEDs are working fine as well.

Nikolaus will go into some well-deserved holiday now (he nearly worked 24/7 for the last week... okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but he worked a lot!) and will be back early January.

We will have to wait until then before we have more results, but as it looks like, we should have working prototype PCBs in time for the case, so I'm positive that we can build a full unit soon :)

Anyways, thanks a LOT to all of you for your support :)
Without you, something like the Pyra and Pandora wouldn't have been possible!

It's really great knowing to have such an awesome community behind your back!

So... have some really relaxing holidays with your family.
All the best wishes from me!

Don't forget: The boards will go offline in about 12 hours for the migration into the new forum system and website which will hopefully go smoothly.

See you on the new boards!

Thanks again from the whole team!

Happy Christmas !! And have some relaxing holidays (even you, IPB4 board !! :p )

Happy holidays guys! I am super excited to see what the board merger will bring. Might be a good thing, not being able to check forum updates all the time during christmas ^^. Hope you'll get some deserved off time as well as nikolaus! Enjoy and treat yourself to something nice ED.

Be sure to redirect to a, "Don't panic - boards are down for planned maintenance." page.

Lots of luck in the migration!

Note:  "community has your back", not, " [COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)]community behind your back".  The two idioms have different meanings in English.  One we're there with you and protecting you from being ambushed.  The other we're preparing to ambush you.  Yes - English is the most peculiar of languages.[/COLOR]

A few months ago a Russian friend of mine told me he was 'baked'.  I asked him to clarify and he stated he was exasperated and tired from a rough couple of days.  A bit of laughter later we realized he didn't know the non-kitchen differences between 'baked' vs 'fried' when referring to a person's status/demeanor.

[COLOR= rgb(39, 42, 52)]Thanks for the update![/COLOR]

FWIW, to my ear saying 'backed by the community' has a more English twang than 'community got your back'.

Also, I don't recognise these 'fried' or 'baked' idioms natively, and would have about the same difficulty in understanding either of them.  If I'm over tired, I'm 'knackered' (as in a horse being taken to the knacker's yard), 'pooped' (though I suspect that arrived from America at some point), or I use the present perfect form of the F-word.

Edit: Sorry, I should have said 'community has your back' which rings less redneck than 'got your back', but I still tend to prefer 'backed by'.

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe I am pretty baked right now... must be because of playing too much S.O.D on ginge recently ^^

Thanks ED, many happy returns to you as well!

2016 is going to be the Year of the Pyra! :) . We're going to make the Pyra awesome aren't we guys?

FWIW.. IRC is never offline, feel free to pop into our Pandora / Pyra Channels on Freenode if you want to gossip over things while the forums are offline. I'm sure there'll be a little bit of Christmas cheer going on (or DaMummy screaming over wanting a Quokka so badly). Make what you want of it and enter if you dare!

Use an IRC Client to connect to irc.Freenode.net (or https://webchat.freenode.net if you want to be temporary and absolute noob)

then join #openpandora or #dragonbox-pyra (or both) for awesomeness. 

Reactions: rSl
These boards may go dark, but keep in mind that we are less than 10 days removed from 2016.

While the Chinese would call 2016 the year of the Monkey, we all know that it is really the year of the Dragon.

Enjoy the holidays everyone. Next year, we will game on the Pyra!

FWIW, to my ear saying 'backed by the community' has a more English twang than 'community got your back'.

Also, I don't recognise these 'fried' or 'baked' idioms natively, and would have about the same difficulty in understanding either of them.  If I'm over tired, I'm 'knackered' (as in a horse being taken to the knacker's yard), 'pooped' (though I suspect that arrived from America at some point), or I use the present perfect form of the F-word.

Edit: Sorry, I should have said 'community has your back' which rings less redneck than 'got your back', but I still tend to prefer 'backed by'.

Well, to fit the sentence Ed used better, the phrases I might expect to hear are, 'at your back,' or, 'behind you,' rather than, 'behind your back,' which indeed does have some negative connotations due to the way it's generally been used rather than there being anything technically different about what it means.

Another thing I have noticed Ed do, which might confuse someone for a second, is use the word 'until' where what he meant was 'by.' That is, 'until' has the meaning that the status quo will be maintained for a while, and will change at the event you are referring to, while 'by' in that context means that some change will take place an indeterminate amount of time before the event that you are referring to, which makes that event significant. So saying something will be 'ready until such time' implies that it's ready now, but won't be after that event, while saying something will be 'ready by such time' implies that it's not ready yet, but it will be at the time (or before) that event occurs.

Back