Windows 95 On The Gp2x

Once I figure out how to run Win95 with this, I'll try running corn and see if it even runs! XD (that'd be pretty cool if it did, even if it WAS slow as hell)

Will this ever be able to run anything? I mean this is really cool and all but if it does not have the chance at ever running anything then I would say to probaly drop it and maybe try DOS...

Really cool and all, but do I really need a virus on my gp2x? ; p

bochs by its self is only a dos emulator, he just installed win95 on top of it as proof of concept.

I got all excited when I managed to install Windows 3.11 for Workgroups in dosbox on my PC. :) I dunno if I'd be excited if I get Windows 95 on my GP2X. I mean, yeah, it'll bring back some memories, but seriously... Windows on 320x240? Would there any way to bump up the resolution without losing picture quality (for example, every other pixel missing... that'd look ugly unless interlaced.)?

If you could get Hover working on it... hehehe :)

DOS would be fantastic. I still have my old copy of Frontier (Elite sequel) which I'd love to see revived on my GP2x. I seem to remember it ran quite well on a 25MHz 386 PC

Just a thought - an alternative GUI based OS might be Windows 3.x + Win32s. This was a faster alternative to Windows 95 for old PCs.

sounds funny, keyboard and mouse support would be nice.
this is another thing to show his friends to get the to buy the gp2x ;)
btw, how is speed with dos? does old 286 games run playable.. cant test it now cause i have to go to school..

If you are referring to my post, 98Lite is a special program that you can download to decreace the size of win95, win98 or win98se. You can manually select witch part you want to remove (example IE, networksupport, enz.).

windows on gp2x WOW! And how do I accutaly put windows on??? I just wanna inprece all my psp loving friends.  lol
<_<, and then they think all gp2x users are dumb and can not spell....

im only 12......
Pwned.

What?

... Get a life....

Anyway :

To the merker guy man, the pretty damn good.

Cheese

Last edited by a moderator:
windows on gp2x WOW! And how do I accutaly put windows on??? I just wanna inprece all my psp loving friends. lol
<_<, and then they think all gp2x users are dumb and can not spell....
im only 12......
Pwned.
What?
... Get a life....
It was a comment on the fact that aapje89 flamed (naw)mcx. But then it just looked stupid as (naw)mcx is only 12.
Unsurprisingly this is not related to my actual life at all.

Has anybody tried FreeDOS yet, it seems you are all trying out Windows, isn't that a little cumbersome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't confirm this as I don't have a GP2X yet, but you should be able create a disk image using BOCHS on your computer and then copy it onto your memory card and run it from your GP2X. This will be ALOT faster than installing an OS through BOCHS on the GP2X. You can get some premade disk images from the BOCHS website at http://bochs.sourceforge.net/diskimages.html.

I tried to boot freedos last night, (added a Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe install to the freedos image from the bochs site, I seriously woud love to play that in the GP2X).
It got stuck in some Default:F1 prompt. F1 is not mapped, and whatever timeout that prompt has, it never finished, so I just went to bed.

I tried Freedos and Windows 3.1, but couldn't get either to work at all... I guess the software I was using to make image files was wrong. What did you use Lurb?

Any kind of GUI windows or X86 gui is highly unlikely on 2X. And even if it was.. would probably be very unusable. However getting DOS would be great.

Think if the many games of old that we could play. We could totally increase the game library 10 fold. Anyways... bring on Cannon Fodder ! That game rocked!

Back