Windows 95 On Arm - Video

marovada

I've got windows 95 running on a Sharp Netwalker - also an arm device. Video is here: Win 95 Netwalker vid

I'm really impressed with the speed of the netwalker compared with previous generation devices (eg Zaurus, ipaq). It's a little beauty. Only problem is crappy keyboard but okay when you get used to it. This emulation bodes well for the pandora (which I also have on order). Win 95 is surprisingly usable and boots faster than vista on a modern x86 computer! No good for gaming though and bochs is a slow emulator.

I'm using bochs-x not bochs-sdl. I've also got dosbox which is sdl and makes it slower.

I've tried qemu and it works (apt-get from ubuntu packages) - just couldn't get win 95 to boot in qemu because I installed it in bochs and there is a driver issue with the qemu emulation (eg vga device).

Anything you'd like me to try? It's win 95A so there are limitations.

marovada said:
Win 95 is surprisingly [snip] boots faster than vista on a modern x86 computer!

No it doesn't

Last edited by a moderator:
Booted a lot quicker than I expected. Too bad it skips and stuff, might have been slightly useful.

oh video requests, Could I see the blue screen of death? :p

Really though, nice work and let me be the first to say welcome.

Hey, that's pretty cool. It does look a bit skippy, tho. How does that affect usability with certain programs like Notepad? There may be some old games I would wanna play on it, but this looks like it might be too slow for it (3D gaming).

Kinda hammering my brain thinking of what I remember the OS having...

Minesweeper and Solitaire.

Gruso said:
That's pretty impressive really. I'd like to see Ski Free, and the Weezer video. :p

I remember that Weezer video! What about the Hover Game? Closest thing to 3D that I've played in my life at that age

Not bad, I'd like to see Age of Empires :p

Come think of it, that still crashes my Vista machine... :lol:

LOL, what about Windows 3.1? :lol:
Probably not doable, still glad I can play some DOS games. My sister would be glad if she could play Operation Neptune on her Pandora.

Jourdy288 said:
Probably not doable, still glad I can play some DOS games. My sister would be glad if she could play Operation Neptune on her Pandora.

You'd probably want to use DOSBox for that instead.

Yeah, I know.

BTW, would I be able to boot an alt. OS from an SD card? Just wondering.

dflemstr said:
Jourdy288 said:
Yeah, I know.

Yes.
Unless by that you mean windows 3.1, in which case no.
Just to be sure.

Aninhumer said:
dflemstr said:
Jourdy288 said:
Yeah, I know.

Yes.
Unless by that you mean windows 3.1, in which case no.
Just to be sure.
Unless someone writes a microkernel that emulates x86 (heh, as if someone would), in which case yes.
:p

But other OSes in general like Ubuntu or Maemo/Mer or Haiku will work just fine.

That would be pretty cool, I'm glad we have that capability. :)

so in theory you could boot a minimal Linux OS on a SD card, with it auto start Bochs running windows 95.

Exophase said:
Jourdy288 said:

You'd probably want to use DOSBox for that instead.

Exactly right. Got win 3.1 running on dosbox from day one but didn't think it newsworthy.

Back