Windows 95 On The Gp2x

madelman

Still Fresh
Do you think GP2X would be able to run Win95 with some kind of emulator?

If you thought this was a newbie question, it is not, I did the question and also have the answer :)

Yes, the GP2X can run Windows 95, Linux, FreeDOS,... thanks to the Bochs port I did.

It's not really useful, as it doesn't emulate the mouse and only some keys are mapped from the GP2x to the PC keyboard.

Anyways, this had to be done :) If PSP could run Win95 GP2X also could.

If somebody wants to test it, you can download the executable and the source from my page: Bochs for GP2x

For some reason, somebody else decided to post this in General Talk, and they actually got comments. I didn't see it here at all for some reason.
I don't have a GP2X to test this, but good work anyway. Do you have any goals for bochs or is this just a quick port, I would love to be able to play some old dos games.

Edit: Does this mean that it is faster than the PSP version?!

For some reason, somebody else decided to post this in General Talk, and they actually got comments. I didn't see it here at all for some reason.
I don't have a GP2X to test this, but good work anyway. Do you have any goals for bochs or is this just a quick port, I would love to be able to play some old dos games.

Edit: Does this mean that it is faster than the PSP version?!

It's a quick port, but if there's really a lot of interest I might try to implement a virtual keyboard and mouse. But, I have a lot of projects open for GP2x so I don't know if it would be really useful to try. I depends on the interest.

By the way, I think it's faster than the PSP port. This boots Win95 in 6:30 and PSP boots Win95 in 10 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats wierd - sorry a bit off topic here
I tried to access this thread earlier and it kept giving me an error none the less...

I'm pretty sure the only key you need is the "Any Key" so you can escape the blue Screen of Death =O

6 and a half minutes... that sounds almost as speedy as my 386 with Windows 3.1 for workgroups! Albeit I imagine it'd be slower at other things than that good ole machine, but hey. It'd nonetheless be interesting to see how it ran cosmo if and/or when mouse and keyboard somehow turn up...

One of my friends ran Windows 2000 with Virtual PC 6 on his 1.33Ghz iBook G4. ZSNES was unplayable due to the intense stuttering. He has yet to try VPC7, but either way, I doubt the GP2X will be able to do much seeing as how a 1.33Ghz G4 obviously outclasses it by far in power, and Windows 95 isn't designed to operate with two processors (nor is Bochs).

If madelman doesn't want to, I could always steal the virtual keyboard from Frodo and the mouse support from FlashPlay and get that working.

Was that really necessary, i mean how much effort did you really put into typing : o...
The shame... :p

Anyhow, wouldnt the Mouse/Keyboard needed to be modded so that it can use mini-USB?
I was gonna say that, I never use that emoticon as it is the most retarded emoticon in existance, it actually looks like a baby with a dummy in its mouth. I can't stand it. I especially hate it when n00bs post in the help forum with that as the topic icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back