Windows 95 On The Gp2x

I tried to boot freedos last night, (added a Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe install to the freedos image from the bochs site, I seriously woud love to play that in the GP2X).
It got stuck in some Default:F1 prompt. F1 is not mapped, and whatever timeout that prompt has, it never finished, so I just went to bed.

It should work with Enter, wich is mapped to Start button. If you got to that prompt you are in the right path to get it working :)

I think I'll have to write a tutorial on how to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Freedos and Windows 3.1, but couldn't get either to work at all... I guess the software I was using to make image files was wrong. What did you use Lurb?

I downloaded the 10 Mb freedos image from here:
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/diskimages.html

and added/changed stuff using this (used plain wmvare image format to open and save):
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA013937/ed...sk/index_e.html

I had to fiddle with the config file, ended up with the one below:

As I said, there's some kind of boot menu that waits for you to press F1, and the emu just sits there on the GP2X, and doesn't just timeout past it after 4 or 5 seconds as it does wen run on the PC.

Code:
# configuration file generated by Bochs
# config_interface: textconfig
# display_library: x
megs: 8
romimage: file="BIOS-bochs-latest", address=0xf0000
vgaromimage: file="VGABIOS-lgpl-latest"
boot: disk
# no floppya
# no floppyb
ata0: enabled=1, ioaddr1=0x1f0, ioaddr2=0x3f0, irq=14
ata0-master: type=disk, mode=flat, translation=auto, path="c.img", cylinders=306, heads=4, spt=17, biosdetect=auto, model="Generic 1234"
ata1: enabled=0
ata2: enabled=0
ata3: enabled=0
parport1: enabled=1, file=""
parport2: enabled=0
com1: enabled=1, mode=null, dev=""
com2: enabled=0
com3: enabled=0
com4: enabled=0
i440fxsupport: enabled=0
usb1: enabled=0
sb16: enabled=0
floppy_bootsig_check: disabled=0
vga_update_interval: 150000
vga: extension=none
keyboard_serial_delay: 250
keyboard_paste_delay: 100000
floppy_command_delay: 500
ips: 15000000
text_snapshot_check: 0
mouse: enabled=0
private_colormap: enabled=0
clock: sync=none
ne2k: enabled=0
pnic: enabled=0
# no loader
log: bochsout.txt 
logprefix: %t%e%d
debugger_log: bochsdebug.txt
panic: action=fatal
error: action=report
info: action=report
debug: action=ignore
pass: action=fatal
keyboard_mapping: enabled=0, map=
keyboard_type: mf
user_shortcut: keys=none
# no cmosimage

Two words: Hocus Pocus. Once this works, and is stable, you're getting a donation from me whether you like it or not.

if i could run old dos games, (im thinkin off x-com and settlers etc) id definatly donate cos ive been lookin for a way to play em for ages, and was devastated when amiga was decided to be impossible.
thanks

if i could run old dos games, (im thinkin off x-com and settlers etc) id definatly donate cos ive been lookin for a way to play em for ages, and was devastated when amiga was decided to be impossible.
thanks

Personally, I'd be happy if it let us run the Keen series (most notably 4-6 since they don't have any interpretters involved) at a decent-ish speed. Hocus Pocus would rock, though - crazily good game. I would personally be surprised if it ran properly, tbh. Not that it's incredibly CPU hungry or anything, idd - but I'm pretty sure it needed about an 8MHz machine to run, and well, that might be a little too much to expect from Bochs, tbh.

It isn't exactly the most efficient of emulators.

Still be cool to set up some bootscripts for games to see what actually works :).

For Starcrtaft/etc it woudl be better to port Strategus; like ScummVM it interprets some of the Warcraft and other related files, enable one to clone (more or less) WCII and other classics. (Its quite stunning on Pocket PC.)

jeff

Once I figure out how to run Win95 with this, I'll try running corn and see if it even runs! XD (that'd be pretty cool if it did, even if it WAS slow as hell)

...and maybe we could run a saturn emulator too!

I never said this would yield good results. But I STILL want to try to run it, just to see WHAT would happen.

is this Win95 SE?

You're thinking of Win98 There was no second edition (that's what SE stood for) for Win95.

thanks

And who "decided" that? It's all bollocks, ain't it. :)

I wanna play MOO...

well i think squidge had a go at UAE and got bout 10fps out of it, (theres another thread about it) and if you look how good hes done with snes id think thats a good indication of how hard it would be to get 30fps +

I was looking at this thread, and thinking: "win95. WTF? why?"

and then I remember reading an article about someone who managed to make a working RAID-array out of a stack of about 10 floppy disk drives, and I realised that the answer is simple: "because you can!" :D

Back