Windows 11

Most important question: will the ne Windows 11 file explorer FINALLY have 2 side-by side windows/tab areas like Total Commander has them since...forever? xD I mean, what's so hard to do this?
For what purpose ? You just click the save/ok button on Office and just ask Cortana to open the thing you saved before.... or at least that's what everyone says to me as an explanation to why Win 10 is the best OS ever created :oops: (oh, by the way, what is that yellow folder on the bottom bar ? xD)

Screenshot_20210626-101549.png

• Wow
Reactions: rSl
Most important question: will the ne Windows 11 file explorer FINALLY have 2 side-by side windows/tab areas like Total Commander has them since...forever? xD I mean, what's so hard to do this?
Maybe it's hard for the same reason KDE's dolphin cannot do a horizontal split?

I would assume it's because copy+paste has become a thing that works on whole files these days. Instead of needing the source and the destination to be open to copy anything, go to source, copy, go to destination, paste.

Reactions: rSl
WTF, I thought Windows 10 was the final windows?
M$ said it was; but evidently M$ was wrong. Who will care? M$ shoved Windose 10 in people's asses using their disgusting bait-and-switch scam and after all that those people still turned around to prostrate in front of M$. Devotees of M$ must be really devoted to keep coming back to MS after the unending abuse they get from their masters. Kudos to them. You loyal customers. Here, have another shitty OS pushed so deep in your ass that it can send M$ pictures of the empty hole where your brain ought to be. Do not mind me using a libre system that actually gives me control over my own hardware.

The 11 is symbolic. It represents 2 middle fingers for M$ devotees to worship.

Maybe it's hard for the same reason KDE's dolphin cannot do a horizontal split?
Maybe Total Commander has an exclusive Patent onto a split File manager Window? I can't imagine another sane reason NOT to use this kind of screen split for file management in every OS and every file manager. I trust in Total Commander since decades, so it can't be that bad of a system, right? :D

In the issue/FR tracker the dolphin dev answered, he'd had a lot of manual work to do to add a split in the other direction.

Maybe Total Commander has an exclusive Patent onto a split File manager Window? I can't imagine another sane reason NOT to use this kind of screen split for file management in every OS and every file manager. I trust in Total Commander since decades, so it can't be that bad of a system, right? :D
No. You cannot copy the code of total commander, but you can create split file manager using your own code. There are split screen file managers available with other OSes. For example, there is vifm, midnight commander, gnome commander in linux and ghost commander in android. I don't know or care if there are similar file managers in mac or windows.

EDIT: As google would like to add there are plenty split screen file managers available in both windows and linux ( I have only tried those I mentioned above)

Last edited:
If thanks to Win 11 they will stop to send "full upgrades" to Win 10, maybe it is becoming time to switch to 10. (I just have to check a (maybe long) list of internet related things to disable...)
I like when an OS stays stable and receives only security/bug fixes and nothing else.

I heard that Windows 11 has some absurd restriction for CPUs that it supports, like only 7th or 8th generation Intels, or something... is this just a myth?

I heard that Windows 11 has some absurd restriction for CPUs that it supports, like only 7th or 8th generation Intels, or something... is this just a myth?
The main restrictions are the presence of TPM 2.0, and a graphic card that supports directx12

I know some in the Discord have installes Win 11 on their WIN 3.
I think I'll go with 10 as long as it's officially supported and upgrade later maybe when things are more tested.
I don't want to reinstall things over and over again.

EDIT:
I checked how to upgrade officially.
I need to sign in to their insider program.
As I want to use my devices without linking it to any Microsoft account that is not an option for me at the moment.
Win 10 is fine for me.
I clean it up anyways, so Win 11 won't be much of a performance increase for me.
Being able to run Android APKs is a great thing however and I might upgrade at some point.

Last edited:
No. You cannot copy the code of total commander, but you can create split file manager using your own code. There are split screen file managers available with other OSes. For example, there is vifm, midnight commander, gnome commander in linux and ghost commander in android. I don't know or care if there are similar file managers in mac or windows.

EDIT: As google would like to add there are plenty split screen file managers available in both windows and linux ( I have only tried those I mentioned above)
That was not my point and I do care about WIndows. I just can't understand why there is no stock split screen file manager in Windows. Not everyone wants to use external tools for everything. It would have so many benefits to use an split screen file manager over ones like the Windows File Explorer. So there must be an reason MS never did that kind of File Manager, I'm really curious.

I doubt it. People tend to stick with what they know, even if what they know likes hitting them with a stick.
Funny, I always think the same about Linux. xD May the tinkering clusterfuck never end. ;)

Back