VMWare Player does DirectX 10

Christoph.Krn

Advanced Member
Apparently this isn't exactly new, but I hadn't know about it: VMWare Player (which, by the way, is gratis) supports DirectX up to and including version 10 (for now)! This means that you can use VMWare to play Windows games on a Linux host, as long as the game doesn't require DirectX > 10.0. The performance penalty seems to be /okay/. This video includes a few benchmarks:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqBXZxhbzxE

Product comparison between VMWare Workstation Player and VMWare Workstation Pro.

Wine has been shaping the DX10 support lately too. Actually I would not be surprised if vmware just used wine's implementation of d3d to support it on linux.

I always used the older version of vmware player, I usually installed a fresh linux distro to create a new image. There is no option to create/restore snapshots, but you can just copy the full image.
Didn't use it for (new) games though. Currently I have KVM with Win10 for games, but getting things running with vmware player appears to be a little easier.

Currently I have KVM with Win10 for games, but getting things running with vmware player appears to be a little easier.
More importantly, it also works in scenarios where the PCI passthrough approach is not possible, such as with laptops.

Back