Android Phones

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
My iPhone has developed a crack in the shell, which I'm told entitles me to a replacement if I take it back to an Apple store.

I was thinking of selling the replacement, since the phone is about a year old now, and I can get around £300 to spend on something newer. So I was thinking Android.

My question to you guys is, all fanboyisms aside, is there an Android phone on the market at this time, which would be considered better than an iPhone (at least 3GS, maybe 4)?

I use my phone mainly for:

1. Music
  2. Browsing
  3. Social Networking
  4. Some gaming
  5. Normal phone duties

Is there an Android phone out there for me? I like the look of the HD2 because of it's mahoosive screen, but I believe that's Windows Mobile and not Android. Owt else?

well the iphone is prettier but android can do more, by do more i mean its easier to gain root and do whatever you want to the phone. the two phones i would recommend checking out are the HTC Legend and the Nexus One

Legend < Nicer looking
Review

Nexus One < More Power
Review

Keep in mind that the Nexus is Googles baby and that it will receive OS updates before any other Android phone.

Hope this helps :lol:

sryidc said:
well the iphone is prettier but android can do more, by do more i mean its easier to gain root and do whatever you want to the phone. the two phones i would recommend checking out are the HTC Legend and the Nexus One

Legend < Nicer looking
Review

Nexus One < More Power
Review

Keep in mind that the Nexus is Googles baby and that it will receive OS updates before any other Android phone.

Hope this helps :lol:

Thanks for your reply!

I'm thinking probably to go with the Nexus one.

I really want the Evo (love that massive screen), but apparently you can't get it over here, which is a pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
My opinion: Get a Palm Pre (Plus). webOS is a much more comfortable operating system for everyday usage. The multitasking and gestures are amazing. It also does impressive 3D gaming now, with many more ports of iPhone games in the near future. It's a pretty open Linux system. You get root access through entering the Konami code and there is a healthy ecosystem of homebrew software and lots of awesome patches for the UI (which is easily edited since it's all HTML and Javascript). Palm has just been bought by HP so webOS has a bright and healthy future ahead of it. I just love my Pre. :)

Honestly, I'm not a massive fan of Apple, but I'd advise you to stick with the iPhone. It has a better software library, and you're clearly in to Apple stuff, so I think you'd miss having an iPhone if you switched to something on Android.

Honestly, I don't really care about the iPhone's massive library of fart apps, and it's closed ecosystem niggles at me a bit.

I am just about ready to drop the iPhone and go for the Desire, but I'm worried about the audio player. I have about 15GB of music on my iPhone, and it's my main audio player. Would an android phone do just as well in this category? It's the absolute dealbreaker for me.

The android phones I've used are absolutely shite in the audio department. The iPhone is a phone but it's also the best iPod ever made, stick with it.

Nova said:
It's the absolute dealbreaker for me.
Consider your deal broken. There is no way the Android Music player is anywhere near as good as the iPhone one.

Hmm. Yeah I think I'll just get the iPhone 4 and sell it whenever something better comes out. I'm sure Android will catch up soon.

quote said:
The android phones I've used are absolutely shite in the audio department. The iPhone is a phone but it's also the best iPod ever made, stick with it.

Nova said:
It's the absolute dealbreaker for me.
Consider your deal broken. There is no way the Android Music player is anywhere near as good as the iPhone one.

It's well known that no replacement players exist either!

I mean I've never heard any thing good about this
http://www.androidcentral.com/why-doubletwist-android-app-so-good
or any thing.

(naw)mcx said:

http://www.androidce...oid-app-so-good
or any thing.
That's got to be one of the worst uses of sarcasm I've ever seen.
I knew about that player, it's still nothing compared to the iPhone one.

quote said:
(naw)mcx said:

http://www.androidce...oid-app-so-good
or any thing.
That's got to be one of the worst uses of sarcasm I've ever seen.
I knew about that player, it's still nothing compared to the iPhone one.

You use android, right?

You know what? Fuck it. I'm gonna get the Desire.

I can't stand the thought of having the same phone for 3 years, so I'll sell my 3GS (which will be out of date in a few days), Grab me a desire and a 16gb SD card, and make the best of it. Worst comes to the worst, I'll have the iPhone 5 when my contract runs out next year anyway.

I'm trading in my 2G 16GB iphone for a Droid Incredible as soon as it gets here. I ordered it yesterday at the local Verizon hustle and have to wait until July 23rd for it.

In my neck of the woods AT&T is shite. Itunes sucks and defending it just shows your lack of intellect. I can't see the Droid Incredible sounding horrible, maybe that first Android that dropped, I agree, sounded bad. If it sounds like junk, I'll be the first to fess up, but I'm sick of itunes/iphones. Time for change and some open source freedom as well.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Hey Mjlink. I traded my 3GS for a HTC Desire. I love it, but I do miss iTunes. The closest alternative (DoubleTwist) for android is terrible. I spent from 11 pm to 4.30 am yesterday trying to put all my music on the phone with it.

By dumping AT&T, won't my iphone just turn into an ipod touch?

I only use the music on my iphone for road trips. I also have a Pandora that is louder than my 2G iphone when using headphones. At times when I am on a roadtrip, I will listen to music with headphones on, depending if my copilot is sleeping or I just want better sound with noise cancelling vs my factory car speakers.

My biggest reason for getting this DROID is Verizon's service is much more solid in my geographic area. I can't tether my iphone to my Pandora, its jailbroken, but the Tether isn't compatible w/ Pandora's WiFi chip. Lastly I want something that can multi-task and has a little more kick than this old iphone.

I used the minidisc format for years and don't see why you all are so gaga for ipods/itunes. Minidisc was simple, some hardware was better than others feature wise. Had Sony decided to go with MP3 & something opensource back in the day rather than ATRAC & proprietary software, things might have progressed differently. I don't like being tied to a particular computer or software program when it comes to music, it should be more free flowing IMHO.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Once you've got the music on there, it's a fantastic music player. No problems at all there.

So my Droid Incredible arrived the other day, problem is that I now want the X.
Should I pay the $35 restocking fee for 16Gb more RAM, bigger screen, and other bells and whistles?

I have 30 days to decide, and in that timeframe, there are supposed to be two new Androids available.

I'm not looking for Android on my Pandora, just need Verizon vs AT&T where I live.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Back