Will the Pyra be good for schoolwork? (and other questions)

With Linux even if it doesn't have direct driver support, I've had luck getting various printers to work with CUPs and the generic postscript drivers. 

Has anyone made an HPLIPS PND file yet?
I think like with CUPs there is no easy solution to setting up printing with a PND solution, luckily we won't have such issues with the Pyra.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the Pandora and the Pyra can do both with aplomb, I've seen so many young people who attend University, become bridled with distractions, and lose their focus.
Take every opportunity to learn something new.  I don't think the problem is losing focus when the things you are being distracted by are directly related to what you are studying.  I believe this is actually called "learning" and "experience".
Ah, but that's the very noose one will hang themselves from. Being related to what you are studying is not the same as what you are studying. An enticing trap many fall into known by other names such as "resume building" or "taking a break" or "being well-rounded" or "learning something new" or "life lessons" when it's true name is... distraction, the antithesis of focus.

Being that it's Linux it will definitely help with certain networking things and will give me a good opportunity to learn more about certain background computer things that are hidden behind the GUI of Windows. If not I can grab a small laptop if I NEED Windows. I do have a desktop with Windows 8 on it so if I don't need it in class I might breeze through with it and a Pyra. As for distractions and such. The Pyra is a PC, any PC will have the same distractions. Emulators being there might distract at some point, but if I got a laptop 10/10 chance I will have them on it as well. In my eyes the Pandora and Pyra aren't game systems that can function as a PC, they are Pocket PCs that are designed to play games well along with other things. Maybe it's just me but I see it as a great tool rather than just a game :p

I trust myself to separate production from play.

And thanks for the keyboard suggestions! Really helpful ^-^

I have taken all of these points into account, but I still see it a good fit for me. I thank you all for the help. Pandora community = +1

While the Pandora and the Pyra can do both with aplomb, I've seen so many young people who attend University, become bridled with distractions, and lose their focus.
Take every opportunity to learn something new.  I don't think the problem is losing focus when the things you are being distracted by are directly related to what you are studying.  I believe this is actually called "learning" and "experience".
Ah, but that's the very noose one will hang themselves from. Being related to what you are studying is not the same as what you are studying. An enticing trap many fall into known by other names such as "resume building" or "taking a break" or "being well-rounded" or "learning something new" or "life lessons" when it's true name is... distraction, the antithesis of focus.
Let me put it another way.  If you don't know how to actually do things, saying you took a course on it, or that it was covered in a course, means nothing.  In networking certs and experience hold a lot more weight than formal education.  Sure, you will probably "need" a degree for some positions, but what employers want is someone that knows their job (exceptions include government entities and contractors that are required to have all employees meet certain regulatory requirements...they prefer people who know their stuff, but the person that meets all requirements on paper will get the position).

Since I don't know what college Spirit is talking about, and I have not talked to the instructors, I can't say for certain if something IS what will be studied.  In my courses there is a TON of Linux stuff, and because it is something I learned on my own over the last decade and a half I was in a far better position than others, especially those that took classes out of order (Linux classes are all first year classes, but some people waited and had trouble with assignments that were using Linux).

Depending on the type of networking degree it is there may be some network equipment configuration.  Often this requires familiarity with the CLI.  This has proven intimidating for many people who this is there first time seeing it, just as it is with Linux.  Many people I have discussed this topic with feel that any CLI experience makes you more receptive to how to use one elsewhere, and many things are similar, so you aren't starting from scratch each time. I believe some equipment manufacturers have Linux, or something based on it, running on their hardware.  If this is something that will be covered in courses it is far better to be ahead of the game.

Troubleshooting is one of the most important skills for anyone that actually knows what they are doing when it comes to networking.  You will often need to find problems and fix them fast.  By developing that mindset outside of class it can be directly applied in class, as well as in future endeavors.  I am pretty sure things will be smoother with the Pyra than they were early on with the Pandora, but the time spent doing research, and thinking about and finding problems directly relates to networking.  In fact, in both formal and informal training, and in evaluating the skills of an individual, it is common to give someone scenarios/equipment/networks that have intentional problems and have the person figure out what the problems are.  Even if an individual is setting up a small network on their own a single mistyped character or bad cable will keep it down.  Knowing how to go through and look at everything that was done, by you or someone else, to identify errors is crucial.  I highly doubt that most problems encountered when using a Pyra will require that sort of devotion from a user, but if so the skills are transferable.

Since you have a Windows desktop, I see no objection in getting a Linux-only Pyra for portable use. Worst case, you can remote desktop into the windows box.

People here seem to think Windows is important for studies, I guess it depends on the culture in your school.

I joined an engineering school in France in 2003 (INSA Lyon). My generation was the first one using only Linux at the university for the whole 5 years. The only software we have used on Windows machines was SolidEdge, it ran on different computers left on windows only for this usage.

Still we have used proprietary applications on Linux like Mapple and Matlab. I'm not sure these are available for ARM. I don't have recent information, but I would bet they have switched to open-source alternatives by now.

So, your milage may vary, not all countries and universities favour Windows. In the telecom/networking department, a lot of teachers are extremist open-source advocates ;)

The questions would be more: will the 5 inches screen be enough all day long ? I wouldn't use it. You can get a used Lenovo Thinkpad x200 for 100€, install Linux on it and be golden with a hell of a great keyboard and a 12 inches screen usable all day long.

In the telecom/networking department, a lot of teachers are extremist open-source advocates ;)
In my limited experience I have found very few that fit this.  Many will acknowledge it as a good idea, but most seem to prefer and recommend proprietary stuff, especially Windows and Microsoft products.  My guess is that this is because this is widely used in the workplace here, and because they get deals on courses and use DreamSpark so that students can't say they don't have whatever is needed in a class.

The closest I have found to an open-source or free software advocate isn't one at all.  She pushes some of that, but it is mostly a "best tool for the job" sort of thing.  It may be different in larger universities.  If so I wish I had exposure to those people.  I always feel alone when I want to discuss topics related to FLOSS, which is part of what brings me back here.  I have a hard time finding people that use Linux by choice, much less all the other great stuff that is out there.

People here seem to think Windows is important for studies,
They don't think it's important, they're just aware that some schools (at least in North America) are afraid of anything not spoonfed to them (or, more likely, coerced into) so force their students to use proprietary Windows based software as part of the curriculum.

In the telecom/networking department, a lot of teachers are extremist open-source advocates ;)
In my limited experience I have found very few that fit this.  Many will acknowledge it as a good idea, but most seem to prefer and recommend proprietary stuff, especially Windows and Microsoft products.  My guess is that this is because this is widely used in the workplace here, and because they get deals on courses and use DreamSpark so that students can't say they don't have whatever is needed in a class.

The closest I have found to an open-source or free software advocate isn't one at all.  She pushes some of that, but it is mostly a "best tool for the job" sort of thing.  It may be different in larger universities.  If so I wish I had exposure to those people.  I always feel alone when I want to discuss topics related to FLOSS, which is part of what brings me back here.  I have a hard time finding people that use Linux by choice, much less all the other great stuff that is out there.
Are you still a student ? If so, do an exchange program with my former university ;)

Let me put it another way.  If you don't know how to actually do things, saying you took a course on it, or that it was covered in a course, means nothing.  In networking certs and experience hold a lot more weight than formal education.  Sure, you will probably "need" a degree for some positions, but what employers want is someone that knows their job (exceptions include government entities and contractors that are required to have all employees meet certain regulatory requirements...they prefer people who know their stuff, but the person that meets all requirements on paper will get the position).

Since I don't know what college Spirit is talking about, and I have not talked to the instructors, I can't say for certain if something IS what will be studied.  In my courses there is a TON of Linux stuff, and because it is something I learned on my own over the last decade and a half I was in a far better position than others, especially those that took classes out of order (Linux classes are all first year classes, but some people waited and had trouble with assignments that were using Linux).

Depending on the type of networking degree it is there may be some network equipment configuration.  Often this requires familiarity with the CLI.  This has proven intimidating for many people who this is there first time seeing it, just as it is with Linux.  Many people I have discussed this topic with feel that any CLI experience makes you more receptive to how to use one elsewhere, and many things are similar, so you aren't starting from scratch each time. I believe some equipment manufacturers have Linux, or something based on it, running on their hardware.  If this is something that will be covered in courses it is far better to be ahead of the game.

Troubleshooting is one of the most important skills for anyone that actually knows what they are doing when it comes to networking.  You will often need to find problems and fix them fast.  By developing that mindset outside of class it can be directly applied in class, as well as in future endeavors.  I am pretty sure things will be smoother with the Pyra than they were early on with the Pandora, but the time spent doing research, and thinking about and finding problems directly relates to networking.  In fact, in both formal and informal training, and in evaluating the skills of an individual, it is common to give someone scenarios/equipment/networks that have intentional problems and have the person figure out what the problems are.  Even if an individual is setting up a small network on their own a single mistyped character or bad cable will keep it down.  Knowing how to go through and look at everything that was done, by you or someone else, to identify errors is crucial.  I highly doubt that most problems encountered when using a Pyra will require that sort of devotion from a user, but if so the skills are transferable.
"Being well-rounded". You're confusing this form of distraction, this common trap, with mastering the material for schoolwork. It's okay with learning outside of class to build up your leisure skillset for interview boasting, if you have the extra time(which so few who are genuinely committed do), but proficiency with the curricula comes first, then sojourn to wherever your whims take you after. Practiced dedication(focus) toward building the grades up will carry over and impact a person's life in a more positive way. 

I trust myself to separate production from play.
That was never a problem for me.

Having your work protable might even help you not to slack off ;) .

BTW: Pandora was never a gaming device for me.

It was a serious computer which has game controls.

I dislike the advertising as a retro and gaming machine.

1: Laptop can give you 2 screens with an external Monitor. It is really useful if you do write longer texts and make presentations.
The Pyra will allow you to drive a monitor as well, just like a regular laptop...
I don't think so.

Of course I can use the Pyra screen and an external Monitor to get thwo screens but I don't consider a big screen and the Pyra screen as a real dual monitor setup.

One big Monitor is no problem of course.

I would not want to work with less than 2 Full HD monitors any more.

I don't think so. Of course I can use the Pyra screen and an external Monitor to get thwo screens but I don't consider a big screen and the Pyra screen as a real dual monitor setup.   One big Monitor is no problem of course. I would not want to work with less than 2 Full HD monitors any more.
Oh!, how you wrote that made me think you were saying it couldn't drive a single external monitor, which is why I felt a need to correct that statement..

The questions would be more: will the 5 inches screen be enough all day long ? I wouldn't use it. You can get a used Lenovo Thinkpad x200 for 100€, install Linux on it and be golden with a hell of a great keyboard and a 12 inches screen usable all day long.
This is a pretty good suggestion.  They can then install Windows as a VirtualBox VM and have it available if they 'need' it.  The older Thinkpads are still very solid machines when running Linux and anything with at least a dual core CPU and 4GB of RAM can handle a simple Windows VM.  It would not be much of a gaming machine, but it would be able to do any school/office task quite readily.

If you're going to do it, budget in a fresh battery.  A used laptop with a 5+ year old battery isn't going to have much mobility.

I don't think so. Of course I can use the Pyra screen and an external Monitor to get thwo screens but I don't consider a big screen and the Pyra screen as a real dual monitor setup.   One big Monitor is no problem of course. I would not want to work with less than 2 Full HD monitors any more.
Oh!, how you wrote that made me think you were saying it couldn't drive a single external monitor, which is why I felt a need to correct that statement..
Wasn't aware of that.

I was in a hurry and didn't read after typing :) .

This is a pretty good suggestion.  They can then install Windows as a VirtualBox VM and have it available if they 'need' it.  The older Thinkpads are still very solid machines when running Linux and anything with at least a dual core CPU and 4GB of RAM can handle a simple Windows VM.  It would not be much of a gaming machine, but it would be able to do any school/office task quite readily.

If you're going to do it, budget in a fresh battery.  A used laptop with a 5+ year old battery isn't going to have much mobility.
Size wasn't a matter for me.

I could use a Pandora screen for everything and Pyra is noticeable bigger.

Besides, the Pandora screen's biggest drawback was the resolution.

Sometimes I couldn't zoom out as much as I wanted to, because lines got lost, or letters in a scanned PDF became unreadable.

Pyra's resolution will not have that issue I think.

People here seem to think Windows is important for studies,
They don't think it's important, they're just aware that some schools (at least in North America) are afraid of anything not spoonfed to them (or, more likely, coerced into) so force their students to use proprietary Windows based software as part of the curriculum.
I am out of "likes".  This is absolutely true in my experience.  I was in the last class of an instructor who retired that didn't spoonfeed everything to students, and he was more interested in people knowing how to do things the right way.  He would go back and check assignments that were auto-graded and would change grades to better reflect the work.  In some cases this meant you would gain a few points because you partially did something and it didn't give points.  Usually 100% dropped to something lower because things were not done correctly but still got picked up when graded, or extra stuff was done that should not have been.

Most people didn't seem to like him, however I feel he was an awesome teacher, and there should be more like him out there.  Yes, my grades would suffer.  Under him the people that made it through the last in the series of classes was only around 30-50%.  After someone else took over those classes the pass rate increased, but I know that cheating is now somewhat tolerated (the previous guy would kick you out of class if he suspected you were up to anything), and that people aren't exactly coming out with the same level of comprehension.

A lot of this comes back to what I was saying about developing skills outside of class.  Although the course I just mentioned were covering things I have 6 years of professional experience with I still went in during the open lab hours since I don't own the hardware.  I would run through various things and try to test different things out to see what would work and if I could do things differently, and generally just trying to become more proficient.  I think there were 2 times I was not alone.  I was doing things that weren't by the book, or exactly what we were studying.  Now people come to me when they have trouble with classwork, and the instructors regularly recommend me as a tutor (although this wastes a ton of my time when I am working on my own stuff, which other students often disregard...).

Are you still a student ? If so, do an exchange program with my former university ;)
I would love to.  I think I am going to start working again after these degrees.  I am tired of not having money.

I support what Grench described for when Windows is "needed".  Then again, I recommend everyone get away from Windows unless it is absolutely required for a given task, which is somewhat rare.

Degrees? How many do you have? I have always wanted to get multiple degrees but didn't see it to be very easy to do if possible at all for someone of my financial situation.

To be honest, I would recommend a simple cheap x86 laptop, install GNU/Linux for daily use (dual boot), have Windows available in case something forces you to use that. That is probably the best thing to do. And that way you're certain that you'll have your hardware in time.

That said, of course the Pyra would also be a very nice option. It will be very suitable for things like writing text. I am currently writing a book on my Pandora. I wrote over 200 pages so far (70,000 words). It will also be very suitable for coding-on-the go. I wrote 3 games and 3 applications from scratch on the Pandora. It can be done. Obviously the screen and the keyboard are small, but you get used to that. A big screen and a big keyboard will always be more efficient, but typically the speed bottleneck will still be your brain and not your typing skills. In terms of geek street cred, obviously a Pyra is a zillion times cooler than any normal laptop.

What kind of studies are you going to do?

My problem isn't as much having or not having Linux. If I get a laptop with Windows I will leave it windows. I want the Pyra for it portability, that it's open, it's game controls, the possible use as a phone ect. I just needed to know if I could do schoolwork on it easily such as typing a paper or code. Since it does that I think I'm good. Most of the classes at the college I am attending let you do things at home. They stress being able to do things on your own time (to an extent of course). So if I need windows for a class I can use my desktop or I can take out a couple hundred dollars to get a small laptop that can handle what I am doing.

_wb_ what do you mean by studies, my major or what types of classes and what we do in them? My major is Network Administration.

So if I need windows for a class I can use my desktop or I can take out a couple hundred dollars to get a small laptop that can handle what I am doing.
a portable netbook with a proper keyboard plus a cheap gamepad will serve you well and still safe lots of bucks.

whats the point in going for portable but ending up with several devices?

but yeah, the pyra will be awesome, you should buy it!

My problem isn't as much having or not having Linux. If I get a laptop with Windows I will leave it windows. I want the Pyra for it portability, that it's open, it's game controls, the possible use as a phone ect. I just needed to know if I could do schoolwork on it easily such as typing a paper or code. Since it does that I think I'm good. Most of the classes at the college I am attending let you do things at home. They stress being able to do things on your own time (to an extent of course). So if I need windows for a class I can use my desktop or I can take out a couple hundred dollars to get a small laptop that can handle what I am doing.

_wb_ what do you mean by studies, my major or what types of classes and what we do in them? My major is Network Administration.
I think the Pyra is perfect in that case. The Pandora/Pyra is the only device I know which you can use for e.g. mosh while having a real keyboard and the portability of a handheld. GNU/Linux (or POSIX in general) is probably the main OS you'll use for network administration, so you may want to put it as a dual boot on your desktop and start to get used to it.

Back