Will Opengl Es 1.1 Apps For The Iphone Port Over Easily?

CCmachined

there are at least a couple i can think of, would there need to be any rendering code changes?

CC_machine said:
there are at least a couple i can think of, would there need to be any rendering code changes?
iPhone apps are written mostly using Objetive-C, and iPhone's libs, so I don't know how much easy or hard would be porting to Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
GCC can compile Objective-C and OpenGL ES 1.1 will work fine.
The iPhone libs can't be used, though.

Etinin said:
GCC can compile Objective-C and OpenGL ES 1.1 will work fine.
And apps using SDL written for the iPhone (Yes, there is a version thereof that was the result of the Google Summer of Code project for the SDL...the ES pieces are available for inclusion right now, they're working on the other pieces which are subject to NDA right at the moment...) should mostly work as well.

The iPhone libs can't be used, though.

No, they can't. You'd have to find out what they do and re-implement those unless the game used SDL for the game API edge...

well my iphone ports of Neverball and Neverputt will take no time at all to recode for pandora. All they need is the device opengl initialisation and input handler and they will be done. The only apple specific code used is the interrupt handler !

actually, if we get the es 2.x drivers *fingers crossed* then porting from iphone's es 1.1 will not be straight-forward - an 1.x-based engine/app ported to 2.x will have to have its material system redone at the very least. and that is before you get to write all those shaders to cover for whatever was originally used as fixed-pipeline materials.

i suggest you take a look at http://www.khronos.org/opengles/ to get the picture.

darkblu said:
actually, if we get the es 2.x drivers *fingers crossed* then porting from iphone's es 1.1 will not be straight-forward

There's nothing that prevents you from having an ES 1.1 driver alongside an ES 2.0 driver on the same device. The general expectation is that ES 2.0 capable devices ship with both.

Xmas said:
darkblu said:
actually, if we get the es 2.x drivers *fingers crossed* then porting from iphone's es 1.1 will not be straight-forward

There's nothing that prevents you from having an ES 1.1 driver alongside an ES 2.0 driver on the same device. The general expectation is that ES 2.0 capable devices ship with both.

possibly, i've never touched an es 2.x driverset before. but people better be prepared ; )

darkblu said:
possibly, i've never touched an es 2.x driverset before. but people better be prepared ; )
Heh... I've had this conversation with Xmas before- the person behind that nym is an employee of Imagination Technologies. While I've still some reservations because it's got some licensing involved, if they're telling you it's likely to be there, it's pretty likely all the same. ;)

Presume you'll have ES 1.1 in hand.

Svartalf said:
darkblu said:
Heh... I've had this conversation with Xmas before- the person behind that nym is an employee of Imagination Technologies.
and the irony (for myself) behind that is that i presumably knew that fact about Xmas, it just did not reach my cognitive floor on time. i blame old age.

darkblu said:
and the irony (for myself) behind that is that i presumably knew that fact about Xmas, it just did not reach my cognitive floor on time. i blame old age.
Heh... Unless you're in your forties, you're not even close to being afflicted with Oldtimers... ;)

btw, for everybody interested in gl es development on the pandora, i strongly recommend the powervr sdk's available from the imgtec's insider program (registration is trivial). same for mbx devs.

Svartalf said:
Heh... Unless you're in your forties, you're not even close to being afflicted with Oldtimers... ;)
i'm close enouh to my forties and my mind is sufficiently amortized that i'd qualify with ease.

Lazrhog said:
well my iphone ports of Neverball and Neverputt will take no time at all to recode for pandora. All they need is the device opengl initialisation and input handler and they will be done. The only apple specific code used is the interrupt handler !
Nice! I look forward to that! :)

Edit: Ah, sugar. I've gone and brought an old thread back from the dead because I didn't pay attention to timestamps. Sorry folks.

Back