My Dreamcast Port, Where Next?

'darkblu' said:
'TheGoodDoktor' said:
multiple.

* i do not lose my files intentional capitalizations when i pass them through various utilities (i.e. iCapitalizeMyFilesOnPurpose.bin does not end up as ICAPITALIZEMYFILESONPURPOSE.BIN after a few iterations)
* people are more mindful when they refer to files. how do i know one person's reference to ThatFileThere.txt is the same as another's ThAtFiLeThErE.TxT - they don't strike my quick visual scan as the same file.
* i (and people, in general) can be bothered to write only so long meaningful filenames - having the system distinguish upper from lower case increases my options to write something meaningful in only N letters.
* the psychological barrier of recognizing filename captialization that people often refer to is more of a myth than an actual obstacle - i have seen people going from 'ugh' to being totally comfortable with different capitalization within the span of a days. so nothing that much unhuman there.

It was the sensitivity rather than the facility I was questioning.
I accept the points you make and although I've never encountered them myself I can see their validity.
Maybe the idea of using a string as the key to a file is out of date but that's another topic for another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
'TheGoodDoktor' said:
It was the sensitivity rather than the facility I was questioning.
ah, the sensitivity comes from the programmer's notorious irritability, in general.

what annoys me personally in osx is that bash's tab autocompletion is case-sensitive, while the system's default-flavor fs itself is not. and before you ask - yes, i spend a lot of my desktop time in terminal windows, where the environment gives a unix vibe, so the fs case-insensitivity feature comes out of left field. that is why on all my non-system volumes (ie. not hosting a bootable osx installation) i set as a rule case-sensitive jHFS+.

'darkblu' said:
what annoys me personally in osx is that bash's tab autocompletion is case-sensitive, while the system's default-flavor fs itself is not. and before you ask - yes, i spend a lot of my desktop time in terminal windows, where the environment gives a unix vibe, so the fs case-insensitivity feature comes out of left field. that is why on all my non-system volumes (ie. not hosting a bootable osx installation) i set as a rule case-sensitive jHFS+.
You have this issue on any unix box with a non-case sensitive FS, and there are plenty of em. I could personally care less whether or not my FS is case sensitive, as I always tend to type everything case sensitive. The one advantage of case insensitivity is I don't have multiple files with exactly the same name in different cases sitting around... every time I see that on a Unix system I cry.

'fireball87' said:
You have this issue on any unix box with a non-case sensitive FS, and there are plenty of em. I could personally care less whether or not my FS is case sensitive, as I always tend to type everything case sensitive. The one advantage of case insensitivity is I don't have multiple files with exactly the same name in different cases sitting around... every time I see that on a Unix system I cry.
unix boxes with case-insensitive fs'es need to be send to rehab, if you ask me : )

'darkblu' said:
* i do not lose my files intentional capitalizations when i pass them through various utilities (i.e. iCapitalizeMyFilesOnPurpose.bin does not end up as ICAPITALIZEMYFILESONPURPOSE.BIN after a few iterations)
Blame the utility writers, not the file system. At least the files are still usable in their altered state by the programs that need them.

'darkblu' said:
* people are more mindful when they refer to files. how do i know one person's reference to ThatFileThere.txt is the same as another's ThAtFiLeThErE.TxT - they don't strike my quick visual scan as the same file.
So case-sensitive file systems encourage good naming practises (be consistent)...

'darkblu' said:
* i (and people, in general) can be bothered to write only so long meaningful filenames - having the system distinguish upper from lower case increases my options to write something meaningful in only N letters.
...and discourage good naming practises. It really isn't that hard to give files a meaningful name in a case-insensitive system, and giving files unique names saves work in the long run (easier to remember which file you need when looking at list of files).

'darkblu' said:
* the psychological barrier of recognizing filename captialization that people often refer to is more of a myth than an actual obstacle - i have seen people going from 'ugh' to being totally comfortable with different capitalization within the span of a days. so nothing that much unhuman there.
Just because people will put up with something doesn't mean it is what they would prefer.

Do you have any other reasons in favour of case-sensitive file systems darkblu?

Oh please don't bump to multiquote/derail. This is an important thread. I thought we had an important update for a moment. :-(

'Gruso' said:
Oh please don't bump to multiquote/derail. This is an important thread. I thought we had an important update for a moment. :-(
I'd like that update too. The topic was derailed long ago.

'Zeno Arrow' said:
'Gruso' said:
I'd like that update too. The topic was derailed long ago.

I don't really have anything new other than I managed to build an exe using Code Sourcery & the TI ES libraries. I can't test it because I don't have a Pandora or a Beagleboard. I have been tempted to get a Beagleboard but it doesn't appeal to me enough to justify the cost in both time and money. Also the community seems a little elusive and I haven't found many similar projects to my own (they mainly seem to be Linux distros & robots). For a released project it doesn't seem to have much activity.

I keep meaning to chase up the rights but I'm so busy in work I haven't had the chance yet. It would be a lot easier if I could show them something tangible.

To be honest I didn't anticipate all the delays on the Pandora, the main thing I'm waiting for is the device itself so I can finish it off.

I don't think anyone anticipated all these delays.

TheGoodDoktor said:
I don't really have anything new other than I managed to build an exe using Code Sourcery & the TI ES libraries. I can't test it because I don't have a Pandora or a Beagleboard. I have been tempted to get a Beagleboard but it doesn't appeal to me enough to justify the cost in both time and money. Also the community seems a little elusive and I haven't found many similar projects to my own (they mainly seem to be Linux distros & robots). For a released project it doesn't seem to have much activity.
Think of the Beagleboard as something akin to a set-top version of the Pandora, especially after their respin- they're going to be a single SD version of the Pandora intended to be hooked up to an HDTV monitor. As far as projects, you can count Caster and a few other titles from myself and a few other people. I'm about to get one of the Beagleboards once the Pandora stuff gets largely out the door.

I keep meaning to chase up the rights but I'm so busy in work I haven't had the chance yet. It would be a lot easier if I could show them something tangible.

I know what you mean there.

To be honest I didn't anticipate all the delays on the Pandora, the main thing I'm waiting for is the device itself so I can finish it off.

Heh... Nobody anticipated these delays, really.

'TheGoodDoktor' said:
I have been tempted to get a Beagleboard but it doesn't appeal to me enough to justify the cost in both time and money. Also the community seems a little elusive and I haven't found many similar projects to my own (they mainly seem to be Linux distros & robots). For a released project it doesn't seem to have much activity.

You should know that without Beagle community, Pandora software development would have been much slower (sorry for all people working hard on Pandora, but it can't be denied that the earlier availability of Beagle and the larger community made wonders ;) ).
So perhaps it has less appeal on you than a portable console, but it certainly has much broader use than Pandora and its emu/game/umpc focus will have. ffmpeg NEON was developed on it (and helped found issues with the chip); if you don't consider that as a large and of wide interest project...
As far as the community goes, come on IRC channels for beagle and pandoradev, and compare them :p

Laurent said:
You should know that without Beagle community, Pandora software development would have been much slower (sorry for all people working hard on Pandora, but it can't be denied that the earlier availability of Beagle and the larger community made wonders ;) ).
No kidding...

So perhaps it has less appeal on you than a portable console, but it certainly has much broader use than Pandora and its emu/game/umpc focus will have. ffmpeg NEON was developed on it (and helped found issues with the chip); if you don't consider that as a large and of wide interest project...

It's going to have a much larger appeal, really. Pandora's the first portable device, but not the LAST one that could gain from the same basic binary. There's already one "netbook" (tm, PsionTeklogix...sigh...) planned that will be using an OMAP3 with at least 128 (Probably more like 256/512, whatever the max is on the thing...) megs of RAM, etc. that's expecting to have initial protypes towards Q3-Q4 of this year. There's Nokia's new web tablet... There's going to be others. :D

As far as the community goes, come on IRC channels for beagle and pandoradev, and compare them :p

Heh... The community's not fully going yet on the Pandora side, it's going to be a lot "quieter" on the pandoradev IRC channel. ;)

Back