My Dreamcast Port, Where Next?

Vanishing Point may be possible.

Tenuous paranoid logic: Vanishing Point published by Acclaim -> Acclaim bought by Acclaim Games -> Acclaim Games' CEO was previously the CEO of Activision -> Activision owns Bizarre Creations.

Although you could probably find many such links to random games if you look for them.

PS: TheGoodDoktor == TheDoktor ....

TheGoodDoktor said:
You shouldn't assume it's a Bizarre game just because I work there.
Are you the only one in the Company who will buy a Pandora ?
What must/can we do, that Software Companies like Bizarre make Games for the Pandora ?
Probably most of the Games from Bizarre are made for other Big Companies like Sega and so on.
Can Bizarre make/publish Games that the have made self ?

MfG
With best regards
Jens

There was also a "The Good Doctor" in MDK 1 and 2 from Shiny.:) and Seaman

Last edited by a moderator:
It's possible the rights to the code and artwork have defaulted back to the programmer now, thus it could be ported. It depends on how the development was done and the publishing contract.

It would be really nice to have some commercial quality stuff on the Pandora though, especially since the 3D driver is about to land.

Personally I'd love to see any Dreamcast title on the Pandora, just to see how well it runs.

MSR looks awesome. Is that the game that kinda matured into Project Gotham Racing?

MDK was always a blast to play and a very unique game on the PC when it was released. Can't ever remember playing multi-player on it though; did it even have multi-player?

Good luck with the porting Doktor, I'm really looking forward to seeing it running. Whatever it is :lol:

TheGoodDoktor said:
On a more serious note, now that I have got people's attention, does anyone know if anyone has got any code running on the SGX yet?

Not many people have access to the still-secret SGX driver yet. The Beagleboard folks put out this 3D demo a while back, but I don't know if it's using the SGX or just doing everything on the CPU. If anybody had the beta driver back then , they would have.

Luckily, I have it on good authority that this whole "secret driver" situation is going to change for the better in the very near future. If you can get your DC code converted over to OGL ES 2.0 or 1.1, we should be able to test it for you soon.

Chip said:
TheGoodDoktor said:
On a more serious note, now that I have got people's attention, does anyone know if anyone has got any code running on the SGX yet?

Not many people have access to the still-secret SGX driver yet. The Beagleboard folks put out this 3D demo a while back, but I don't know if it's using the SGX or just doing everything on the CPU. If anybody had the beta driver back then , they would have.

Luckily, I have it on good authority that this whole "secret driver" situation is going to change for the better in the very near future. If you can get your DC code converted over to OGL ES 2.0 or 1.1, we should be able to test it for you soon.

I have it working on ES 1.1 now. I take it I don't need to convert it to ES 2.0 unless I need any of the 2.0 features which I don't right now.
When the the drivers are available I guess I need to:
1. Get a Pandora
2. Get it building in the Pandora SDK
3. Get file loading/saving working (should be easy as I'm only using fread/fwrite)
4. Get it to use the Pandora controls (easy too as I'm using SDL)
5. Convert the remaining textures (I need to write some tools for this so might take a bit of time)
6. Convert my vector & matrix functions to use NEON

I still need to get authorisation but this is being worked on as we speak.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
MSR looks awesome. Is that the game that kinda matured into Project Gotham Racing?
Effectively PGR = MSR2. Always preferred MSR over any of the PGRs, and other than Jet Set Radio it was my favourite DC title.

Portable MSR would be unbelievably cool - the day/night effects would come into their own, and the level structure would suit handheld play immensely. Choose the shorter levels when time is brief, or longer ones for decent length journeys.

I'll be gald when all the leagalities are cleared and the Dok can say what this game is! We've all had a guess and bit of an internet stalk but it really is still in the air at what it could be.

MSR is one of my favourite DC game, it'll be incredibly amazing if it's ported.
I hope the music will stay the same too.

cools said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Effectively PGR = MSR2. Always preferred MSR over any of the PGRs, and other than Jet Set Radio it was my favourite DC title.

Portable MSR would be unbelievably cool - the day/night effects would come into their own, and the level structure would suit handheld play immensely. Choose the shorter levels when time is brief, or longer ones for decent length journeys.

Ah cheers for the confirmation cools.
Got to admit that I tend to prefer the quick race games myself most of the time. Especially when you get to race around towns and city centres :D

In the Spanish forums, as is habitual, they don't believe someone is porting a Dreamcast game. They say that, as is a DC game, the licence belongs to SEGA and without money, a lot money, is impossible to port it...

If it was cuestioned by some troll, ok, but there were forums administrators cuestioning it :blink:

efegea said:
In the Spanish forums, as is habitual, they don't believe someone is porting a Dreamcast game. They say that, as is a DC game, the licence belongs to SEGA and without money, a lot money, is impossible to port it...

If it was cuestioned by some troll, ok, but there were forums administrators cuestioning it :blink:
That's silly. Sega only has licence to it if they are the publisher/dev. You only need a licence from Sega to release on the DC system. This game is a 3rd Party game. They still own the source/rights etc for their own game and they can release it for whichever system they want, unless some form of exclusivity deal was made. (And those are easy to get around when you see how many special edition get released...)

PokeParadox said:
That's silly. Sega only has licence to it if they are the publisher/dev. You only need a licence from Sega to release on the DC system. This game is a 3rd Party game. They still own the source/rights etc for their own game and they can release it for whichever system they want, unless some form of exclusivity deal was made. (And those are easy to get around when you see how many special edition get released...)
But Sega is the producer and distribuitor of MSR, so does that mean that the game will not be MSR?

We still don't know for definite which game this is. :D
In any case, TheGoodDoktor is sorting out all the legalities, etc. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about. The game may undergo a name change and rebranding though.

This thread is very interesting! :) I never played MSR but enjoyed PGR on the original Xbox.

I can see it now: Pandora Street Racer: Open Street Edition. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance for your efforts, Doktor.

It ISN"T MSR!!!! (that is factual per thegooddoktor)

also thegooddoktor has hinted that it isn't even a bizarre game...

he also mentioned to me that he would like to port certain bizarre game but im not telling what that is.. muhahahhahhh

Back