Wikipedia Article Update

Sammi

Still Fresh
There're have been quite a lot of good updates of late, but the Wikipedia article has been severely neglected IMHO. So I took it upon me to show it some love and update it. But I'm a Wikipedia noob and a non-native English speaker, so I was hoping that other people might look it over too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_(console)

Show Wikipedia some love :wub:

The Wikipedia article is still broadly correct, and every time somebody tries to expand it, the nazipedians come and delete the additions for lack of "proper sources". They continue to insist that forum and dev blog posts are not legitimate sources, even though it is the people creating the device that are making those posts.

Once the Pandora is shipping and there are reviews on third party sites then we can add more info with references.

I just don't see how a the information is only valid if it gets carried through a "third party."

I think we should stop referring to the blog and forum posts as "posts" and instead call them press releases or simply transcribed quotes.

The links go back to a forum, and by wikipedia standards, that makes them unreliable as sources.

Call it something other than a forum. Let's rename it as an "information delivery system" or something.

If the stupid editors would just open their eyes, they would realize that their policies clearly aren't universal.

Chip said:
The links go back to a forum, and by wikipedia standards, that makes them unreliable as sources.
The community blog might work then? maybe move some of the "unofficial" of it to a less prominent place on the page ;) Small chance if links to dev posts are not good enough... But you could try though

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish. I wonder if there is some way to make the blog conform more to Wikipedia's standards. The only source of information about the Pandora that I know of that isn't a blog or forum is openpandora.ca, which only has the specs.

If Wikipedia wants a third source, wouldn't that mean the third source could potentially put opinion based information in the wiki page?

there's a lot wrong with wikipedia, but it has its heart in the right place.
it's just the idiots enforcing the rules to the letter that make it suck.

Chip said:
The Wikipedia article is still broadly correct, and every time somebody tries to expand it, the nazipedians come and delete the additions for lack of "proper sources". They continue to insist that forum and dev blog posts are not legitimate sources, even though it is the people creating the device that are making those posts.
I've had the Pandora article on my watch list for months and I haven't noticed this happen.
In fact there are three references in the article right now that are links to this forum. Another is a link to the blog.

Mostly, over the past couple months mostly what I've seen is various types of vandalism. (One guy was banned last month for repeatedly inserting the (false) fact that OpenPandora was intentionally ripping people off for a lark.)

Not trusting my own memory, I've just glanced over the page history as far back as August, and I can't find the phenomena you're describing. (In the article or in the discussion page.)

I don't understand why all the hate for Wikipedia's process. I'm not sure what the heck all the WP haters want to put into the article that hasn't been stated officially by Craigix or someone else on OpenPandora's staff. (Where else would you get facts?)

Chip said:
This is also false. Forums and blogs are considered "Self-published sources". Which are considered valid sources of information (only) about the poster, projects the poster running, etc.

As long as no one is disputing the authenticity of craigix's posts, there's no problem.

Wikipedia:SOURCES

The last (And aparently only) time someone even tried to argue that forum posts weren't valid for the Pandora article was back in April and he was immediately argued down by a bunch of different editors.

Chip, You can't assume that one lone jerk speaks for the majority. Moderating these forums should have taught you that! :)

VRAndy said:
Chip said:
I've had the Pandora article on my watch list for months and I haven't noticed this happen.
In fact there are three references in the article right now that are links to this forum. Another is a link to the blog.Go back to Feb-April and you'll see quite a bit of it. Whole sections have been cut out, put back, and cut out again because some people insist that the information is "unsourced", despite being on the wiki and openpandora.ca. It's also been tagged for deletion a couple times and still has a "citations needed" tag.

Chip said:
VRAndy said:
Chip said:
In fact there are three references in the article right now that are links to this forum. Another is a link to the blog.Go back to Feb-April and you'll see quite a bit of it. Whole sections have been cut out, put back, and cut out again because some people insist that the information is "unsourced", despite being on the wiki and openpandora.ca.
Well, I'm not going to go over all four hundred or so edits just to prove a point, so I'll concede that I might be missing something important, but the only drastic reduction in file-size that I can notice is this edit by the lone jerk I mentioned above. (I'm probably being too hard on him calling him a jerk. He also removed allegations that the whole thing was a hoax dreamed up by EvilDragon. And once the citation issue was discussed, he backed off.)

Maybe I am missing something. I've certainly been wrong in the past. But, in any case it hasn't happened recently.

It's also been tagged for deletion a couple times and still has a "citations needed" tag.
It was certainly tagged as spam back in December 07, But it was not deleted, and at the time, the article was admittedly pretty pathetic. (Wikipedia gets a lot of spam, as you might expect. Editors have become naturally very wary of anyone showing up and telling them about the Next Big Thing being produced by an unknown company, with no third-party references at all.)

Well, the german wikipedia entry was deleted because there weren't enought serious sources and the device is not out jet.

Wikipedia has several times now deleted the article for DJ Sharpnel because of 'lack of notoriety'.

It'd amaze me if they accepted the Pandora article without at least 5 citations for every sentence.

VRAndy said:
Maybe I am missing something. I've certainly been wrong in the past. But, in any case it hasn't happened recently.
How gracious of you to concede that something may have happened many months before you signed up. :p There was indeed a period of excited wiki editing and subsequent "edit wars" before it all calmed down again (but not before Godwin's Law was invoked once or twice :D).

All that aside, the page is currently looking pretty good. Credit to all involved thus far, it all flows together nicely. There are one or two tiny spots where it could be a little more objective (such as the word "revolutionary" - it seems a little hyperbolic in the context) but it's nothing we need to rush to fix.

Release day should be the next major update of course, then we can set about sourcing some third party references. In the meantime, best we lay low lest we raise the ire of the wikilords once again.

Reading back over the thread, I realise I've just posted a long winded version of what Chip said in post #2.

I did a slight edit and added a sentence on wikipedia. but still.. what is up with these nazi's that can't handle that developers can tell news on forums?

Kloplop321 said:
I did a slight edit and added a sentence on wikipedia. but still.. what is up with these nazi's that can't handle that developers can tell news on forums?
Because the bulk of the rumor type crap that comes up bogus also comes from "news on forums".
(Note, this is not defending their craptacular behavior here- just that this is their reasoning, which, unfortunately is fairly sound under most circumstances... ;) )

Back