Color Me Impressed

DavidBowman

Gentlemen (and Ladies?),

I am, if nothing else, the quintessential "forum lurker" as I rarely find any forum interesting enough to bother with posting. I do have some thoughts that I would like to share, however. And give me a minute, I do have a point to make.

I have been following the development of this device for more than two years now, and I have to say that this device is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for for years upon years. No proprietary software or hardware, the community behind it has a viable voice, and unlike my other favorite homebrew devices, there will be no firmware / system software updates that will kill my ability to use the device the way > I < deem worthy.

As this little marvel has moved closer and closer to a finished state, my excitement has mounted to such a level that I find myself cursing my employer's web filter as it keeps me from reading these forums all day long.

I have few TRUE passions in life. However, the Open Source community is one of them. I believe that (most of) our world has reached a state of affluence to such an extreme that the only way to now move forward and create any real progress is going to be projects such as these. I think the massive success of Wikipedia and its sister projects is one great example. Linux, is of course, the best example (and I've now not used Windows in over a year. I surely do not miss it).

I even purposefully sought out a career with a company that operates on this sort of platform, and I think that I have found that in working for a credit union.

So this, my friends, is THE reason why I so want this project to succeed. But the community needs to flourish with it.

Disappointingly, I see an alarming trend developing on these forums. I that feel this trend, if unchecked, has the potential to keep this project from the level of success that it deserves. I saw the same thing happen to a favorite psp-hacking forum (that shall remain nameless) I used to frequent.

That trend is one of plain nastiness and negativism.

So take your flame wars, your insults, your petty arguments and name calling elsewhere. I don't know where it's come from, but it's got to stop.

I don't have time to read it.

If this device is to succeed, everyone needs to support and even love it. That's inclusive of supporting and showing your fellow forum members love as well. Never before has a community had the ability to influence a hand-held the way that this community has had on the Pandora. This project is about way more than another portable gaming platform.

Show me that this is a community that understands what the implications are of the Pandora. Don't show me the sort of ungrateful and immature garbage that caused some of the best developers for the xbox and psp-hacking communities to leave with reckless abandon.

So can we please be a little more like the Ubuntu forums and be a bit more tolerant, forgiving, understanding and willing to treat each other like brothers and sisters? I'd hate to lose interest in this project before it comes to fruition.

That said, my ultimate respect goes to EVERYONE involved in this project, including those very courteous ladies who patiently answer my emails and to those forum members who have shown the qualities that I admire. I do not give respect easily, nor do I usually bother with spending any of my time expressing it. You guys deserve it. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said.

I'm confident that once the first batch orderers have Pandora in their hands, things will become more like they used to be in these parts. Right now we have a lot of people who are not only new to this kind of scene, but are going through the frustration of waiting for everything to happen. Throw in a few naysayers and the occasional troll, and there can be a lot of friction. Once we all get down to sharing and enjoying the platform, things will be nicer.

Actually if you take the time to notice... only people that have completely failed to read the forums at all are flamed usually... that is XD

Every forum has trolls... and the quality of them fluctuates (some are funny... some annoying which applies here and some are rather pointed critics which we also have one or two)

Go read the Nail and Zombie threads they'll cheer you up :)

you see 99% percent of people on this forum DO understand and do care about forum quality... the rest eventually stop bothering or get banned

What an excellent post. :)

Also, +1 to what Gruso said. :p

'Gruso' said:
Well said.

I'm confident that once the first batch orderers have Pandora in their hands, things will become more like they used to be in these parts. Right now we have a lot of people who are not only new to this kind of scene, but are going through the frustration of waiting for everything to happen. Throw in a few naysayers and the occasional troll, and there can be a lot of friction. Once we all get down to sharing and enjoying the platform, things will be nicer.
I hope so. That's all I really want anyway. I spend so much time on these forums that I felt I needed to say this. I'm sure that I will irritate a few people saying something like this with my first post ("Just who does he think he is anyway..."), but I'm going to attempt to stick around and exemplify what I was talking about. Like the PSP homebrew community, there can be little doubt that this device is going to attract many fresh-faced enthusiasts who will ask the same questions repeatedly or ask completely uninformed questions. Yelling at them won't make anything better.

And yes, cb88, you are correct. 99% of this community are great people and it is mostly the n00bs that get flamed, but we all have to start somewhere. I am proud of this community. It is showing me that my dream of a complete open source world isn't just a wild fantasy. There are some great minds here, methinks.

Indeed, We all probably been at that point of frustration with all the new people here asking n00b question we forget that very notion, that everyone starts somewhere. The fact that no one honestly reads the "READ THIS POST FIRST" topics before posting is nothing the new. Many people would rather not be told what to do, and just find out the consequences of there actions instead.

At the end of the day, we all have to lighten up, maybe check the boards slightly less often so and get surprised at the lot of news that comes in. Probably not the greatest advice in the world but, you may be surprised. 2009 is a pretty important year for game developers getting together and hammering out plans for the future, In all honest; Both the Pandora and the Wiz couldn't come at a better time.

''David Bowman'' said:
That said, my ultimate respect goes to EVERYONE involved in this project, including those very courteous ladies who patiently answer my emails
Lies, there are no women on the internet.

'Auritribe' said:
Lies, there are no women on the internet.
I'll have to let Jacquelyn know that. I'm sure she's unaware that she's a man. Poor thing, going through her whole life not knowing... :D

'Game_over' said:
Indeed, We all probably been at that point of frustration with all the new people here asking n00b question we forget that very notion, that everyone starts somewhere. The fact that no one honestly reads the "READ THIS POST FIRST" topics before posting is nothing the new. Many people would rather not be told what to do, and just find out the consequences of there actions instead.
Surprisingly, my real beef isn't with the new members, but rather a few older ones who I've seen get kind of raw with each other. There's just no reason for that.

Just the way the all-male internet community likes it. ;)

[ontopic]

Also having followed this from the initial announcement until now (but not being a lurker like yourself), I have also noticed the trend of negativity that has spread through the forums recently. I wouldn't define it as much as negativity but impatience. People are waiting for the device to come, and are not satiated anymore by the slow trickle of videos that the devs are posting. Once the Pandora is released (or at least comes to the mass production stage), the mood here will revert back to the way it had been towards the beginning of development.

'Vorporeal' said:
all-male internet community
That probably sums it up :D Lots of one-upmanship and thrusting brain-cocks.
Jostling can make a forum when it's fun and light-hearted but I have to agree, there's something very bitter about the slap-downs round here. More tickle, less slap gentlemen :D

I must say I have to agree with what you said.

If I may, I would like to offer to you the reasons I believe this trend you see exists:

1) We are really stressed because we so dearly want our Pandoras, and many of us are losing our patience

2) New trolls have come and gone, trying to insult the Pandora or just the community in general

3) Many of these new users have come trampling in, and most of the ones who end up posting topics break our sacred "search function" and "ports require source" bylaws.

4) Many of these new users that post are ignorant to many basic things, and we've just gotten tired of them asking the same damn questions. (i.e.: "Why can't we have a tablet Pandora?", "Why not port WINE?", etc.)

'David Bowman' said:
I have been following the development of this device for more than two years now, and I have to say that this device is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for for years upon years.
I hate to nitpick, but this project hasn't even been known to the community for 2 years, I hardly see how you could have been following it for more.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
I must say I have to agree with what you said.

If I may, I would like to offer to you the reasons I believe this trend you see exists:

1) We are really stressed because we so dearly want our Pandoras, and many of us are losing our patience

2) New trolls have come and gone, trying to insult the Pandora or just the community in general

3) Many of these new users have come trampling in, and most of the ones who end up posting topics break our sacred "search function" and "ports require source" bylaws.

4) Many of these new users that post are ignorant to many basic things, and we've just gotten tired of them asking the same damn questions. (i.e.: "Why can't we have a tablet Pandora?", "Why not port WINE?", etc.)

'David Bowman' said:
I have been following the development of this device for more than two years now, and I have to say that this device is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for for years upon years.
I hate to nitpick, but this project hasn't even been known to the community for 2 years, I hardly see how you could have been following it for more.

-God Ginrai

Good point, maybe this is a troll in itself?

Also, I'd like to offer my own theory for the trend. Ready? Here goes.

1. The internet is a shithole and people are stupid.

There ya go.

-God Ginrai

This is not so, Pandora should have been released about a year ago and before that the project was discussed a lot, although there was no name like Pandora or even Craiginator yet. Lets not fall into calling some a troll just because they overestimate the time. I agree with what David Bowman says, Pandora would not be even half as interesting for me if it was not for this community.

I think that the saying "If you cannot say something nice, do not say anything at all" fits here perfectly.

'Auritribe' said:
Ready? Here goes.

1. The internet is a shithole and people are stupid.

There ya go.
Rubbish! You really shouldn't overgeneralise - The Internet has some really quite good stuff on it!!

Ta...

'.Gogeta§§J4BR.' said:
hello richard stallman :)
Haha!

But yeah, I have to applaud the original post. Let's play nice!

'Monk' said:
Rubbish! You really shouldn't overgeneralise - The Internet has some really quite good stuff on it!!

Ta...
I think most of you saw this comming
CODE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3C6CksyJ0&feature=related

Back