WiFi tethering

tsh

Website
Visit site
So in a previous universe I mentioned that tethering to the Froyo 2.2 wifi hotspot did not work. Now trying again (HF4-b2 + WiFi driver update), I can confirm it does work (at least with security disabled). Currently downloading the beta3 HF using mobile data and wifi whilst charging phone and pandora individually. USB tethering also works (and is a great way to keep these power hungry smartphones charged up)

I'm using a Motorola Droid X on Verizon and tether via PDANet. Didn't pay for an additional tether plan. My phone isn't rooted. Downloaded it from the Market. I'm pretty stoked about it, phone got here yesterday. Like it much better than the Incredible already.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

This worked for me last night. Today I put on Hotfix 4beta3. Could that have stopped me from tethering now?

Frustrated that it worked and now it won't. Not using USB, it was working through BlueTooth.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

If your on android, download "wifi keyboard"...you can use the pandora keyboard to control games on your android phone. Its like having a preview of the icontrolpadTM!

:p

Anyone got tethering to work on a Droid X?

Not happy (really thinking I should have gone with a Palm Pre Plus) but hopefully something will come along.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I have an Android 2.2 handset (an LG GW620/EVE with openEtna) and barnacle wifi tether. It works very well for my netbook (I'm at the moment writing this on the netbook/LG combo) but the pandora doesn't like to play. I do believe that I have installed the wifi beta driver, but no go.

The pandora sees the access point (it is displayed if I do a iwconfig scan, and also in the netwhatsit applet), but when I try to connect, I get a long time trying and then a "...disconnected". According to iwconfig, the connection is "managed", even though I believe it ought to be "Ad-hoc", and when I try to force it with "iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc", I get an error saying that that mode is not supported in the driver. Anybody got any ideas?

So far I have made a very slight attempt at connecting to a normal wifi router (at home, a completely vanilla dlink something) and got a similar result, but that was before applying the hotfix pack and before installing the beta driver, so I'm not placing much weight on that. Will try again this evening when I get back to civilization (is at the stepparents atm).

The Pandora's driver doesn't support ad-hoc yet. You're right, it should be ad-hoc in the connection, not managed, but it doesn't know how to connect to those yet.

Is there hope for an ad-hoc able driver?

Because it seems that many 3G devices are using this kind of networks to share internet connectivity.

The android 2.2 wifi hotspot is not ad-hoc. You shouldn't need any extra software, it ought to just work. If you have an extra app on the phone, that might explain the problem.

Ad-hoc is in many ways rubbish. Most importantly, ad-hoc mode cannot support power saving mode, so while you're connected it'll suck juice like there's no tomorrow.

Back