Why Wait For Gp3x? Great $ Making Opportunity - Let Us Invest In

g8rpal

Still Fresh
Here is an open call to all readers of this forum.

We all love the GP2X. It is revolutionary. However, we have no way to voice our requests to Gamepark, we are limited by the current hardware limitations of the GP2X, and most importantly, we all would love to have some extra cash in our pockets.

What I am suggesting is this:

Let's form a group consisting of the hardware & software gurus, investors, and enthusiasts. Let us figure out fair contracts for all, and create another handheld pc capable of building on the work already done with the added improvements of 3d graphics acceleration, tiny keyboard integrated w/ the unit including (see LG-VX9800 mobile phone), mouse alternative (either touchpad integrated w/ keyboard or joystick), integrated tv-out, integrated USB host mode, and of course more CPU speed and RAM.

There are many readers of this forum of varying levels of income, technical knowledge, etc. My intention for this post is to get a list of developers, hardware gurus, and investors interested in starting something that could end up very big.

Let's use our collective knowledge, willpower, and love for gadgets to form the first 'Open source' company.

Any thoughts,comments or interest?
gp32_console :gp2x

Not to put a downer on this, But this of sorts has been tried here before, And failed miserably.

I also have three words to say about your handheld description above.

Pc ?.
Investors?.
D-pad ?.

Trooper

It's not really a bad idea, heck who wouldn't want to be a part of something like gatorpal is talking about.

Unfortunately it's not likely to transpire. Too much of it is written from a consumer perspective as opposed to a business one. Integrating everything eliminates sales of peripherals, and that alone will put smart investors off.

Second, even if we were to consider that the capital were to become available, and great ideas were put into a solid strategy, it wouldn't be long until someone incorporated or at least obtained ownership of the whole endeavor, and the vast majority of people that joined the project would be out of the loop, in the same situation as they are now.

However, considering building your own piece of hardware is a viable (and more realistic) goal. One could use existing technology and hardware to create a superior device. You list having more RAM and a faster CPU with a mini keyboard and integrated peripherals. Shoot, there's a lot of people that can do that right now, no need for investors or developers really.

gatorpal said:
Here is an open call to all readers of this forum.

We all love the GP2X. It is revolutionary. However, we have no way to voice our requests to Gamepark, we are limited by the current hardware limitations of the GP2X, and most importantly, we all would love to have some extra cash in our pockets.

What I am suggesting is this:

Let's form a group consisting of the hardware & software gurus, investors, and enthusiasts. Let us figure out fair contracts for all, and create another handheld pc capable of building on the work already done with the added improvements of 3d graphics acceleration, tiny keyboard integrated w/ the unit including (see LG-VX9800 mobile phone), mouse alternative (either touchpad integrated w/ keyboard or joystick), integrated tv-out, integrated USB host mode, and of course more CPU speed and RAM.

There are many readers of this forum of varying levels of income, technical knowledge, etc. My intention for this post is to get a list of developers, hardware gurus, and investors interested in starting something that could end up very big.

Let's use our collective knowledge, willpower, and love for gadgets to form the first 'Open source' company.

Any thoughts,comments or interest?
gp32_console :gp2x
good idea but here are the problems
You need investors and loans and you have to convince people to pay and support your item
You need to pay for the manufacturing cost of the parts and labor very expensive
this is game system would be so EXPENSIVE because your company is not nintendo or sony or etc and cant get investors like i said above
this is wat killed gamepark and the xgp... hope this make sense.. need any more clarification just ask
this is gives a better undertstanding here http://www.gpark.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=899
btw is gamepark holdings a private or public company?

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a x86 system to build a handheld? Seriously, guys you have to be kidding.

Have you ever considered the energy consumption? Even if the CPU would consume as low as 6-8watts (which is fairly realistial for lower clocked VIA cpus), the typical components as chipset & memory controllers chew up enough more. You end up having an energy consumption of a smaller notebook and the space of a handheld. Figure the rest.

Is it coincidence that handheld makers favor energy saving cpu architectures like ARM, MIPS or SH4 ? *shrugs*

I would consider some project with for example a Freescale PowerPC SoC wich burns ~1W @400mhz much more realistic btw :)

my .2c

Have you seen the work that they are doing for the openmoko, it looks like a pretty solid gadget/phone. It amazes me how cheap they are selling those compared to the iphone. I think it will have 3d acceleration when the consumer version comes out in october. Chek it out if you havn't heard of it.

I like that pico-itx board. It would be do-able actually. We would need a fuel-cell maybe. Fortunately they already make those. I bet that you could easily get 6 hrs of battery life out of a pico-itx handheld. Plus, it has video acceleration features. High def video playback woot! What I'm mainly looking for is several integrated usb ports and audio output jacks.

There are loads of projects like this, and they all suffer from one major element: They are far more costly than the gp2x (sometimes double, sometimes triple) simply due to the fact that the people making it can't afford to bulk buy the components, so don't get decent discounts, can't get the big companies to talk to us (as they want there first order to be several thousand dollars/pounds for example). etc, etc.

Just look at Project Ninja, and the Virtual Cogs handheld (http://wiki.virtualcogs.com/tiki-view_blog.php?blogId=1)

The GP2X has been a big success. Someone will come and replace it when the time is right.

Good idea :)

I'm ready to join such a project. Please PM if you are serious. We can discuss many "low cost" alternatives.

Why do we need better hardware?

The GP2X does exactally what I need, if I had of wanted 3D acceleration I would have got a PSP or DS. One of the things I love about the GP2X is just how much the wonderful developers, like Squidge et al, get out of this little machine. I reckon what we need is not better machines but to support oue developers in what the do. So they can continue to do what they are already doing, pushing the GP2X to its limits and beyond.

The problem with the computer industry today is that everyone is addicted to upgrading and having the latest and greatest without consideration for the social and enviromental consequences.

My 3c worth :p

gatorpal said:
...However, we have no way to voice our requests to Gamepark,...
That's the main problem on the whole story. A better wire to GPH would make many things easier. I mean, noone here has a clue, what's going on there and I'm pretty sure, noone there has a clue, whats going on here. And I'm asking myself, if GPH has a clue overall, when I look at the design of the Cradle for example.

Who knows, whats happening out there in Korea?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you was going to do this you should make it compatible with gp2x software already out so there is less porting and you would be able to use your favourite gp2x software

How about, a portable cradle with a keyboard, wifi etc.? Maybe try to turn the GP2X into a mini laptop.

Actually, building such a handheld is a great idea and I think it could be feasible if you don't go overboard with the specs. Screw keyboard and x86 architecture. Getting one of those nice arm boards by magic eyes, with fpu, and a good 2d or 3d gpu, a nifty touchscreen (would replace the keyboard aswell) and wifi. Now you need a stereo soundboard which I am sure can be found premade like the magic eyes (is on included maybe?). Then add support for SD cards and a SoC board to have a small linux system installed. You could easily get away with about 300$ if you assemble the prototype yourself. One thing that is complicated is having plastic cases molded. What could be done is, that lots of people throw together money if some serious plans are made and a working prototype exists. Then you would be able to buy the parts for a larger batch, maybe about a 100 each, which will still be horrifyingly expensive but at least cheaper then buyin individual parts.

Going commercial with a device like that is bull. You wouldn't be able to compete or even be able to afford it as already mentioned in the thread. I think one of the major flaws of the ninja was not only that it was going to be astronomically expensive, but also that they tried to cram too many features into it. There is already a few people building custom pdas. Touchscreens are not that expensive anymore.

Dont see the point. I think if you got a gp2x and arn't happy with it then perhaps you got it for the wrong reason. I knew what I was getting and am extremely happy with it and I expect I can get years out of iti especially if the homebrew scene keeps up. The competition has proved the potential. Games are not about graphics and fancy hardware. It's all about original game play. If you want the technlogy then get a psp. If I was being honest with myself and I had a 3d chip then yes I would be happy but this was a birthday present and my partner knew what I liked.

My current favourites:
Sqdef is an extremely addictive game but has no fancy effects or graphics (please excuse me this is not putting the game down)
Ruckman shows great polish and gameplay with nice looking graphics and sound
Wind and Water is so polished you can see your reflection and the guys have put so much work into it.
Blocks is superb and so simple yet addictive...perhaps a little short ;-)
TTDX is brilliant to take around...I will try and sort out a donation asap.

and many more. I think sometimes there are big gaps of nothing whilst projects are being worked on but there's plenty to fill the gaps with a gp2x.

Back