Gp2x Downunder!!!!

I saw it on the news stands today!!!

GP2X big and bold on the cover of Linux User (UK) Magazine!!!

Edit:
Having got the mag and found no article on the GP2X only a halfpage add with no info??? Strange indeed...

However James at http://www.localfoss.org is reviewing the GP2X in the near future, so keep an eye on the website.

I found the GP2x product near the beginning of the year, it looks to be an extremely interesting
toy, I think it will be fun to play with.

I have been reluctant to order from an overseas site, however I have just discovered that the
GP2xShop is selling the GP2x here in Australia. I followed their help link to this board and
discovered there have been no posts in this topic since the end of August.

I was wondering if this is an indication of a possible problem? I am trying to satisfy myself, that
if I go ahead and order from them (http://www.gp2x.net.au), I will not end up with problems.

Thanks for any feedback.

Graham

I don't think you'll have a problem - I order mine from there and found that:
  • Answered all my questions quickly.
  • From time of payment to time of delivery was extremely quick (2 business days).
  • Had no problem with the GP2X itself what-so-ever.
From my personal experience, they come highly recommended.

Thanks GP2X - Aus, I recieved my new toy and I am very happy with it, and very quick to send to me as well.

Boy have I had trouble registering here though. Registered and waited for my email to enable my registration and ..... nothing. Found the send registration email again button and .... nothing again. Tried to send an email to admin, but guess what, you have to have your email registration sent though to send them an email. So I try to register again under a new name and because I only have one email address it says that I cant register because there is already a person using that email address ie ME! GRR (and plenty of swear words later) I was about to give up when I decided to try sending the registration email for the THIRD TIME and guess what .... IT WORKED!!!

Anyway I wanted to tell you how I discovered the GP2X, a story on the last page of PC Power Play Australia - December Issue, it is called "Yellowboots" and it mentioned the GP2X, It sounded interesting, so I Googled the name, half expecting it to be made up for the story. As a new GP2X owner I think you can guess the rest.

As well they have a small review in PC Power Play Australia in the January issue.

Dragon12

I have been reluctant to order from an overseas site, however I have just discovered that the
GP2xShop is selling the GP2x here in Australia. I followed their help link to this board and
discovered there have been no posts in this topic since the end of August.

I'd like to thank Michael, he was looking after the shop while I was on my Honeymoon (3 months world trip) and I haven't been very active on the forums, hence the last entry being August.

But I do have some great news the GP2X Docking Cradle isn't a myth and fingers crossed it will be available before Xmas...

Also now that I'm back I can get onto some fun stuff and get a couple of T-shirt designs up and running. The sizes will be Small, Medium and Large. Please if anyone has a friend that would be X-Large and they would like to buy one for let me know and I'll do a couple of X-Large sizes.

cheers DOUG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

I ordered and received my GP2x within a couple of days from GP2xShop Aus.
Very impressive. Doug has been most helpful in my questions.

I just wonder if anyone has information on repairing the joystick in the unit.
When I run the key test utility, one of the joystick directions does not register
(down to the right). Can this problem be fixed in some simple way? Or do I
have a problem?

Any help, suggestions or links would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Graham

Trying unscrewing the cap just a little bit (don't twist too hard, you mainly need to pull it up), as sometimes the shaft hits the side if it's too far down.

gaterooze posted on Dec 11 2006 at 05:27 PM said:
Trying unscrewing the cap just a little bit (don't twist too hard, you mainly need to pull it up), as sometimes the shaft hits the side if it's too far down.

I have removed the cap altogether and have re-run the key test. The same down/left key on the joystick still does not work. Maybe the joystick switch is not working? :(

Graham posted on Dec 11 2006 at 09:49 PM said:
I have removed the cap altogether and have re-run the key test. The same down/left key on the joystick still does not work. Maybe the joystick switch is not working? :(

Probably should send it back for a replacement, I'd say...

This friend told me about a new PMP that allowed you to play games. He wanted a PMP but got a PSP instead. Sucker.

This was ideal for me. I was looking for a PDA at the time, but secretly to play emulators as well. I had a UIQ mobile phone which played Megadrive games well, but the controls were absurd.

GP2X turned out to be perfect that allowed me to get a PDA that could be just for work.

First tried craig's shop who really helped me try to use the mestro system. Concluded that the payment system does not recognise australian access cards.

Then tried gp32z which screwed me over by not committing to promises, never answering emails and being extreamly late. After my first GP2X was stolen, I got another from play-asia which was extreamly fast since I ordered on friday and it was delivered over the weekend getting ti early next week (awesome). I'll probably get my next one from doug here, just because he was brave enough to do a radio interview when I chickened out and he supports the community.

GP2XShop-AUS,
Any idea when/if you will be stocking any commercial games such as payback?

Normmatt posted on Dec 12 2006 at 04:14 PM said:
GP2XShop-AUS,
Any idea when/if you will be stocking any commercial games such as payback?

I have actually email the guys at gp2x.co.uk but had no response and that was about a month ago, I've kind of given up on them, they are really hard to contact.

I'm waiting for our Aussie developers to get some games/apps polished so we can start being a base for homebrewers to get some dollars back for the hard work they put in.

We will be probably be selling them as CDs and not downloads just to make sure that everyone has access even people on dialup (and I like having something tactile for dollars I spend). So keep an eye out, and if your working on something let me know we are always keen to help.

cheers DOUG

GP2XShop-AUS posted on Dec 12 2006 at 11:47 AM said:
I have actually email the guys at gp2x.co.uk but had no response and that was about a month ago, I've kind of given up on them, they are really hard to contact.

Try phoning (or a PM to craigix here), as they have a really aggressive spam filter which gobbles up many e-mails...

gaterooze posted on Dec 12 2006 at 09:33 AM said:
Probably should send it back for a replacement, I'd say...

Doug (GP2xShop) has contacted me and requested I send the unit back. I sent it yesterday so he should have received it this morning. Now I just have to wait to hear something from Doug. :(

Hopefully I will have a working unit before Christmas, so I can spend a little of the break getting to know the system more intimately. :D

Come down and checkout what the Australian Linux community is up to these days at the Linux Open Day!!!

http://lca2007.linux.org.au/OpenDay

Where: Mathews Pavilions (E24) - University of NSW, Kensington
When: 3pm - 8:00pm Thursday the 18th January, 2007 prizes announced at 7pm
Cost: Free
Food: Dinner and drinks will be available at 6pm
Freebies: The first 100 registered visitors will receive a free bag with goodies! There will also be other giveaways at the stands from information, software and other goodies.

We will have a small table there with some GP2Xs to play with so come and say G'Day :) You could win a GP2X that we have donated as prize (maybe a door prize?)

Also we have received a new shipment of breakout boards, we figured that the Breakout Boxes seem to be a long way off. Keep an eye on the website....

cheers DOUG

Just a quick note to say I bought my gp2x from these guys and they rock, very fast turn around and extremely communicative.

Well done!

Hi all,

Now that I am back from my break, just wanted to add a note about how great the service is from the GP2XShop-AUS.
I had a couple of issues with the unit I bought, but Doug went out of his way to ensure I had a fully operational system just before Christmas.

Doug, thanks for the fantastic support.

I can happily recommend buying from GP2XShop-AUS. Supply is prompt, and support is great.

Regards
Graham

i just wanted to report that I ordered the GP2X Value Pack (F-100) on Tuesday 11 December 2007 and it arrived safe and works great on Thursday 13 December 2007! :D

Back