Role Playing Games

ketchupgun

Website
www.theimponderables.com
I really enjoy these lists of "what's the best"
Earlier I was introduced to a WHACK of racing games I never bothered to look at..and recently, Shmups.

So let's talk RPGs shall we (preferrably stuff that runs great on GP2X)

I'll start
- Phatasy star 1,2,4
- Shining Force 1 &2
- Crusader of Centy
- Dragon Warrior
- Zelda 1,2 (3 runs better on desktop for me, at least)
- Chrono Trigger (problems in GP2x?)
- Secret of mana

I'll even throw in Pirates!, ShadowRun (though I've only touched it once or twice it looks good).
Can anyone shed some light on the Final Fatasies...I never played them, but I've heard good things, but I'm sure all 80 of them are not a perfect 10. (Would we throw Metal Gear And Metal Gear Solid (Gameboy) in here too?

DISCUSS!

'Beyond Oasis', 'Addams family values' and 'Shining in the Darkness' are all really good on the Genesis.

Edit: Just thought of more :)

Dungeon master is a classic that shouldn't be ignored Available on many platforms.
Zelda links awakening DX, Zelda Oracle of seasons and Zelda oracle of ages for the Gameboy color are brilliant, far superior to the nes zelda games in my opionion.

ah, i get to be first to say "final fantasy". FF3/6 is in my opinion easily as good as Chrono Trigger and number 4 isnt far behind.

Earthbound is phenominal as well - a pastiche/homage to the final fantasy style games which also manages to be hugely entertaining and original in it's own right....all of these for the snes - i have a bunch of other Square/Enix Rpgs waiting to go and they're almost exclusivly what i use my '2x for.

I also am a RPG fanatic.... you had mentioned final fantasy.

I'm currently replaying the 1st Final Fantasy on my gp32 (Nes emulator)..... Oh how I loved it.
For it's time, graphics and color schemes were great.

I would recommend to anyone who likes retro RPG.

Final Fantasy's for NES.
Final Fantasy I, II, & III for Gameboy (diff than NES version).
Final Fantasy the Adventure for Gameboy.
Faxanadu (REALLY AWESOME).
Shadowgate
Ultima's
Zelda's of course (I think this is the 1st RPG I ever played).
Bards Tale
Castlevania's (II is my favorite)
Dragon Warrior I, II, III, & IIII
Another I'd recommend is Sword of Hope I & II for Gameboy.

All awesome.

Don't forget Terranigma on the SNES!
256pxterranigmabox2609bap8.jpg
It was a great Zelda-esque RPG but with a much deeper story and stronger RPG elements. It's regarded as the third in the trilogy beginning with Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia (Illusion of Time). It was never released in the US though so generally gets little notice in the West, which is a shame.

The US got Chrono Trigger, Europe got Terranigma. I think we got the better deal!! :p

I certainly second FF6, FF4, Earthbound, Zelda and Phantasy Star.

But I also recommend Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma, they're pretty good too, a loosely tied rpg trilogy by Enix, for snes.

haha, got beat by Xythen to mentioning Terranigma by one minute.

*THE* best RPG on SNES: Tales of Phantasia :D

xythen posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
Don't forget Terranigma on the SNES!
256pxterranigmabox2609bap8.jpg
It was a great Zelda-esque RPG but with a much deeper story and stronger RPG elements. It's regarded as the third in the trilogy beginning with Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia (Illusion of Time). It was never released in the US though so generally gets little notice in the West, which is a shame.

The US got Chrono Trigger, Europe got Terranigma. I think we got the better deal!! :p

Are you sure that Chrono Trigger wasn't in Europe? I know i've seen the game in French magazines & even on sale in Belgium (although that could've been in import)

Last edited by a moderator:
Amon_Re posted on Dec 13 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
Are you sure that Chrono Trigger wasn't in Europe? I know i've seen the game in French magazines & even on sale in Belgium (although that could've been in import)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's right. I have seen Chrono Trigger in Belgium in a 2nd hand retrogaming shop once but it was an import.

for me its got to be:

1. Ultima 7 and 7.5 -->thx Exault!)
2. FF3 (nes) -->although now I need to try the gameboy one(above)
3. Return to Zork III (c64) --> it was my first....

..soooo anyone working on an Oblivion port that would use a backpack of gp2x's to power?

Someone mentioned Shadowgate ... one of our favorites!!

May I suggest, in the same vein; Deja-Vu 1 & 2 ... and if you can find it, The Un-Invited

Amon_Re posted on Dec 13 2006 at 06:32 PM said:

Yep, never released in Europe at all. Check the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger; "It has never been released in PAL territories."

love love love rpgs, hate hate++ japanese console rpgs.

1 - wasteland
2 - magic candle 1
3 - ultima iii

loved the gold box stuff (pool of radiance, azure bonds, death knights, etc)

xythen posted on Dec 13 2006 at 10:46 PM said:
Amon_Re posted on Dec 13 2006 at 06:32 PM said:

Yep, never released in Europe at all. Check the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger; "It has never been released in PAL territories."

Well, not on the SNES at least. I've seen PAL PSX versions though, I'm certain... I suppose I *could* be wrong, but I'm fairly sure not...

i think the first RPGs i played where on the amiga - dungeon maser and the eye of the beholder series. i see that beholder is on the snes, but really cant imagine it being much fun without a mouse.

i recently mentioned somewhere how much i enjoyed grandia 2 on the pc - havnt gotten around to playing the original but i hear very good things about it...all we need is a saturn emulator and off i go ;)

(i know it wont happen btw...)

Back