Which Version Of Another World Will You Run?

Sugar_Kane said:
Try onEsacpee, it's a complete rip off of another world, but it's reasonable. Then Benefactor, and Impossible Mission 2025. All on the amiga

Right, I played onEscapee a bit on the Amiga back when it was released, thats a nice tip as well as the other two games :)
I have also remembered another one I have not played much yet, Colony 28, a czech one but there may be an English version too. Only for DOS though. And not a great one as far as I know.

mvickers03 said:
@white falcon, The PSX version of heart of darkness is identical to the PC version AFAIK I played both but enjoyed it more on the PSX, Probably because of the controls.

Flashback should run on Residual to run native

Blackthorne was a great game! I played it in DOS and didn't know there was a SNES version.. I'll try that out too

Abe is also very good

I never got round to finish Prince of persia 2 but will do on the SNES one day, I never heard of Metal mutant.. I will be sure to check that one out

:)

And I didn't know HoD was for PSX, thats great as it may be playable much sooner than I expected! :)

I played Blackthorne in a snes emulator on the GP2X (saved a lot, yep :rolleyes: )and it worked fine until (I think it was) the final battle where it got too jerky for me to win.

PoP2 is supposed to be best on the Mac so maybe Basilisk will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmm. So much data. Very exciting... B)

@WhiteFalcon I'm a recovering machead and I didn't even know about Basilisk. Thanks for that bonus. Oids, here I come.

QBJECT said:

@WhiteFalcon I'm a recovering machead and I didn't even know about Basilisk. Thanks for that bonus. Oids, here I come.

And you got me with Oids, never heard of that game, reminds me of Defender.

WhiteFalcon said:
mvickers03 said:
Thank you very much for this mate! Out of this world/Another world is one of my all time favourite games!

Never even new this existed just downloaded it and am definitely playing this weekend!

I got the CD32 Version as couldn't see a port for GP2X

I was quite eager to play it too when I found out about the sequel :)

A bit off-topic:

Actually what similar 2D games (platform/adventure) do you all know and recommend? And which of them will probably be playable on Pandora?

These come to my mind now:

Abe's Oddysee (and Exoddus) - my favorite, my hopes rise to the PSX version
Flashback - bet this one will work even in more emulators (SNES, Genesis, Amiga, maybe even DosBox..)
Blackthorne - SNES, DOS...
Heart of Darkness - DOS, a rewrite is in progress so it might get ported when finished (I tried porting the unfinished rewrite to the GP2X with no luck :( Maybe someone more experienced at porting...)
Metal Mutant - Amiga, DOS, Atari ST so mostly probable
Prince of Persia - yes, this can be counted but then there are so many

Bermuda Syndrome - Windows so no chance

@WhiteFalcon

Dude! Awesome list. I never realized these games shared a similar aspect but you definitely nailed it. Like, I know how they control, but I would have never grouped them into a list like that.

Thank you, sir.

Phawx said:
@WhiteFalcon

Dude! Awesome list. I never realized these games shared a similar aspect but you definitely nailed it. Like, I know how they control, but I would have never grouped them into a list like that.

Thank you, sir.

Glad you found it useful! I am sure there are more (like the later mentioned onEscapee), but there is no "genre" to categorize them easily. This kind of games is the kind that kept me glued to both the GP32 and GP2X :)
Maybe even the delightful Knytt games by Nifflas could be counted in.

Yea, if I had to give them a genre it would be like "simulated fiction" or something. Because they are usually fantasy adventure stories, but are dictated by *real world* rules. Generally, the first rule in these types of games is:

1.) Gravity Kills.

We should try to come up with a proper genre name for these types of games.

WhiteFalcon said:
QBJECT said:

And you got me with Oids, never heard of that game, reminds me of Defender.

Indeed. Even more like Gravitar, which I happily discovered the last time I was at FunSpot.

I second Oddworld. I love that series. :) Along with Heart of Darkness. Hopefully PSX will be full-speed with sound soon if it isn't already.

Future Wars, it should run flawless @Amiga!

Maupiti Island, but mostly to look sunset & listen film noar blues... imho it's too hard.

Lets hope Zodttd is making good use of his new Pandora hardware! can't wait to see his PSX emu with sound. All games in this thread would be possible then

Wootson said:
The best version is the most recent one for the PC: "Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition". It's basically a mix of all the good things from all different versions, added with high-resolution textures and some fine-tuning here and there in all other departments.

However, you can't play this on an emulator, and there is no stand-alone version for the GP2X yet.

This game is one of my all-time favorites and it just blows my mind how ONE single person could have coded all this stuff.

http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/index.htm

Woosten.. that looks really cool! I just finished the demo in less than a minute, I will probably buy it tomorrow, I only get to play games 1 or 2 days a week these days :'( too busy with the band so Saturday day time and Sunday is dedicated to me doing F all and bashing my GP2X. I got more to play from this one thread than I have had in months!

Also really looking forward to having time to playing Heart of the alien!!!! Still in awe that I managed to miss that one.. Although I'm not suprised I never had a sega CD, I had a Nes, Amiga 1200, SNES, Gamegear, PC, PSX, Dreamcast, Xbox1 (Almost in order) Not really bothered keeping any of the "Next Gen" Consoles I bought, Just didn't enjoy playing them as much for some reason. For modern gaming I use the PC.. other wise mostly contained on my GP2X until my Panda is here :D

nm, naturally they have already applied a genre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game#Cinematic_platformers

Haven't searched yet, but can anyone find a complete list of Cinematic platformers?

WhiteFalcon, some more possibles:

Nosferatu (SNES)
Hammerfist (C64/Amiga/etc)
Persian Gulf Inferno (Amiga/ST)
Prince of Persia 2 (SNES)

Phawx said:
nm, naturally they have already applied a genre: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game#Cinematic_platformers

Haven't searched yet, but can anyone find a complete list of Cinematic platformers?

I doubt there is a complete list as the games are distributed among several genres and as usual, not everyone
agrees that a particular game meets the parameters. But a good find with the genre name, all the mentioned games
seem to fall into that one :)

GunPei2X said:
WhiteFalcon, some more possibles:

Nosferatu (SNES)
Hammerfist (C64/Amiga/etc)
Persian Gulf Inferno (Amiga/ST)
Prince of Persia 2 (SNES)

Hey, a nice tip! Never heard about the first three, especially Nosferatu seems to be very much like Blackthorne.

I loved Abe's Oddysee so much I considered buying an Xbox back when they announced it would be released only for
that platform. Glad I didn't though as they decided to abandon the 2D..

I seem to recall there being a version of Blackthorne for the Sega 32X CD. Though I'm not sure what the differences are outside of possibly better sound or frame rate.

Alpha2 said:
I seem to recall there being a version of Blackthorne for the Sega 32X CD. Though I'm not sure what the differences are outside of possibly better sound or frame rate.

Yes there is and after googling a bit there seem to be different graphics of the characters (pre-rendered, the original hand-drawn are much nicer in my opinion) and a whole new area - snowy mountains (more info).

You know... it took me a while to realise this was question about a game, not metaphysics.

Beneath a Steel Sky is similar to Another World in game play. Awesome game.

Back