List Of Cinematic Platformers And Adventures

QBJECT

Still Fresh
Website
identi.ca
My question about which version of Another World I should play sparked a discussion of similar games and the lack of a comprehensive list anywhere. I'll curate one here if people want to contribute:

• Another World
  • Out of this World
  • Heart of the Alien
  • Nosferatu (SNES)
  • Hammerfist (C64/Amiga/etc)
  • Persian Gulf Inferno (Amiga/ST)
  • Prince of Persia 2 (SNES)
  • Blackthorne
  • Abe's Oddysee
  • Abe's Exoddus
  • Beneath a Steel Sky
  • Project Firestart
  • Karateka
  • Flashback
  • Heart of Darkness
  • Metal Mutant
  • Prince of Persia
  • Bermuda Syndrome
  • CastleVania Symphony of the Night
  • Mario All Stars
  • Most of SCUMMVM games (not platform, but point & click adventures)
  • Dune
  • Zool
  • onEscapee
  • Knytt
  • Future Wars
  • Maupiti Island

2010-05-18: I'm at work right now so I'm just going to toss all of the suggestions from the other thread in here. I'll clean up, alphabetize them and run down publisher info and lists of ports tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cinematic games? I'd have thought those would be mostly like the cinemaware games on the Amiga - Rocket Ranger, It Came from the Desert etc. Stuff like Hammerfist was more a platform beat-em-up/shooter, Zool was pure platform fun... Another World I'd class as a Platform Puzzler.

D.

When talking about cimematic games, you can't forget Dragon's Lair (and sequel) and Space Ace.

The old DOS Dune I have played to completion. Loved it.
Beneath a Steel Sky is free on the cover disc of PC Plus(295) this month.

Would Myst and Rivan qualify?

may88 said:
The old DOS Dune I have played to completion. Loved it.
Beneath a Steel Sky is free on the cover disc of PC Plus(295) this month.

Would Myst and Rivan qualify?

Beneath a Steel Sky has been released as freeware by the publisher back years ago; its available in full from the ScummVM website for download, if I recall right :)

jeff

Beneath a Steel Sky was released as free from its developers a long time ago. It's a great game but not a Cinematic Platformer.

Zool certainly isn't!

In case anyone missed the other discussion.

Cinematic platformers
Another World, like other cinematic platformers, featured a realistically proportioned character and rotoscoped animation

A well recognized sub-genre without an agreed-upon name, cinematic platformers are usually distinguished by their likeness to Prince of Persia, the most direct archetype for the style.[original research?] These games are distinct from typical platform games in that they focus on fluid, life-like movements, without the exaggerated physics found in nearly all other platform games. To achieve this realism, many cinematic platformers, beginning with Prince of Persia, have employed rotoscoping techniques to animate their characters. Jumping abilities are typically roughly within the confines of an athletic human's capacity, which is often compensated by the ability to grab onto ledges. Other distinguishing characteristics include step-based control (where an action is performed after the character completes his current animation, rather than at the exact moment the button is pressed) and multi-screen stages that do not scroll.

Flashback, Another World, Heart of the Alien, Blackthorne, Heart of Darkness and the first two Oddworld games are among the most successful games in this style. Since these games tend to feature characters with ordinary human abilities and weakness, they are often considered quite difficult, involving a great deal of trial and error. Impossible Mission pioneered many of the defining elements of cinematic platformers and is an important precursor to this genre.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_game#Cinematic_platformers

I still don't think BASS should be in that list. Beneath a Steel Sky is a point and click adventure.

nm, reread the topic title. Do you think you can separate the cinematic platforms and the point and click adventures?

Also some you can add to the point and click adventures:

LSL1 (VGA Version)
LSL3
LSL5
LSL6
LSL7
SQ1 (VGA Version)
SQ3
SQ4
SQ5
Kings Quest
Quest for Glory
Police Quest
SWAT

"deliverance" which is sequel to stormlord is a similar stle game on the amiga.
"Unreal" think its infogrames.platform adventure that pushes the amiga to its limits.(No,not the fps unreal)
"Deathtrap" by anco.
Wrath of the demon"Amiga
Would beasts one thru three count.
Edit,Cruise for a corpse by delphine(of another world fame)
Is definately a cinematic puzzle mystery adventure.

Like I said, I just grabbed every title that had been mentioned in the previous thread and tossed it in. So, should we throttle the list back and limit it to titles like Another World, Abe's, and Flashback, but exclude SCUMM, AGI, and SCI titles?

What should the criteria be? There was no running and no real action in the SCUMM and AGI games I played, except for mini-games, so I can see why they would be disqualified. Can folks with some more experience with these titles help me with some definitions?

Edit: Thanks, Phawx, for the Wikipedia blurb, and the list. What do folks think about two lists in this thread, one if true Cinematic Platformers, and a second of the seemingly more abundant Point&Clicks?

QBJECT said:
Like I said, I just grabbed every title that had been mentioned in the previous thread and tossed it in. So, should we throttle the list back and limit it to titles like Another World, Abe's, and Flashback, but exclude SCUMM, AGI, and SCI titles?

What should the criteria be? There was no running and no real action in the SCUMM and AGI games I played, except for mini-games, so I can see why they would be disqualified. Can folks with some more experience with these titles help me with some definitions?

Edit: Thanks, Phawx, for the Wikipedia blurb, and the list. What do folks think about two lists in this thread, one if true Cinematic Platformers, and a second of the seemingly more abundant Point&Clicks?
Another world style games are my favourite type of 2d games.Some like deliverance"are adventure hack and slash though....

i really love adventure games recently I bought "the whispered world" however I don't know any of these cinematic platformers. I only played the first oddworld game :) for the dutchies an extensive list of adventure games : http://forum.fok.nl/topic/1176861 (you can pick out the titles easily if you are non dutch) And if you are really interested in adventure games I recommend http://www.adventuregamers.com/ there you can also find a fine definition of adventure games

Genre definition
Adventure games focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework. There are generally few or no action elements. Other popular names for this genre of computer games are “graphic adventure” or “point-and-click adventure”.

Adventure games are not: role-playing games that involve action, team-building and points management; 3D action/adventure games such as Tomb Raider; side-scroller action games such as Mario or Rayman; puzzle games like Pandora’s Box or Tetris.

Alright, tonight I'll get this cleaned up. My intent is to list each game in something like the following format:

• Game Title (maybe followed by links to MobyGames and Wiki entries?)
    by Author(s)
    • Port/Version 1 (publisher) - which software we could use to run it on our OPs
    • Port/Version 2 (publisher) - which software we could use to run it on our OPs
    • Port/Version 3 (publisher) - which software we could use to run it on our OPs
    • and so on...

...and I am going to divide the list into a true Cinematic Platformer (PoP, AW, etc.) group and an Adventure Game (AGI, SCUMM) group, since people seem to be chiming in with both types.

Thoughts?

This is great. I loved the Oddworld games, so a list of similar games and how best to play them on Pandora will definitely be useful to me. Are you putting this on the Wiki?

aliking said:
This is great. I loved the Oddworld games, so a list of similar games and how best to play them on Pandora will definitely be useful to me. Are you putting this on the Wiki?

Oh, right! The Wiki! Probably will, once we get it sorted out to the point where people are generally happy with it.

Back