When Is The Real Release Date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
craigix said:
Well I meant we could just use the test cases if they are perfect.
MWeston takes a few of the initial 105 boards, combines them with the cases that are by this time perfect, and ships them directly out? I guess you could very well ship out a few before November hits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the software all complete though? Is it going to be ready by the time the moulds arrive? Because according to the pandorawiki website, there are several dozen projects still underway...

(in regards to operating systems, graphics, games, programs, and most importantly, the EMULATORS!!!)

aesir911 said:
Is the software all complete though? Is it going to be ready by the time the moulds arrive? Because according to the pandorawiki website, there are several dozen projects still underway...

(in regards to operating systems, graphics, games, programs, and most importantly, the EMULATORS!!!)
Well, if you've been keeping up, the operating system is coming along very nicely, all the base stuff seems to have been working for quite a while and the only issues were drivers, generally. Games, programs, and emulators all rely on people unaffiliated with the official project, and do it on their own time. Emulator authors are very dedicated to what they do, so I would imagine there will be emulators available on release, however for planned ports and games and programs, you will probably have to wait at least a while the devs do testing or just finish them up. (that's not to say that there arent dedicated port and game coders, it's just that very few of them had access to dev boards and the like)

PoisonedV said:
aesir911 said:

Well, if you've been keeping up, the operating system is coming along very nicely, all the base stuff seems to have been working for quite a while and the only issues were drivers, generally. Games, programs, and emulators all rely on people unaffiliated with the official project, and do it on their own time. Emulator authors are very dedicated to what they do, so I would imagine there will be emulators available on release, however for planned ports and games and programs, you will probably have to wait at least a while the devs do testing or just finish them up.

I know it is coming along, I was just curious if it would be ready... especially before the end of the new year.

aesir911 said:

There will ALWAYS be projects underway. If there is ever a time that someone isn't working on something, then the whole project should be considered dead. Even many things that are flagged as "complete" will probably still be worked on to some extent.
I really don't understand your desire for software to be ready so soon. It demonstrates an ignorance of how the software is being written. Seriously, patience. There's only a handful of developers that got prototype boards, and of those even fewer actually used them. You can't get software until people get the consoles to test with, so what you are asking is, in fact, nearly impossible. There will be some stuff ready, for sure: quake 1/2/3, probably a few emulators, a large selection of other software and games; but the vast majority will appear over the month or two to follow, as the developers that did not get prototype boards finally have an environment to test their software on.

WizardStan said:
aesir911 said:

There will ALWAYS be projects underway. If there is ever a time that someone isn't working on something, then the whole project should be considered dead. Even many things that are flagged as "complete" will probably still be worked on to some extent.
I really don't understand your desire for software to be ready so soon. It demonstrates an ignorance of how the software is being written. Seriously, patience. There's only a handful of developers that got prototype boards, and of those even fewer actually used them. You can't get software until people get the consoles to test with, so what you are asking is, in fact, nearly impossible. There will be some stuff ready, for sure: quake 1/2/3, probably a few emulators, a large selection of other software and games; but the vast majority will appear over the month or two to follow, as the developers that did not get prototype boards finally have an environment to test their software on.

yup, don't know too much about how they are developing the software. just a bit curious if they would have the main portion of the software ready in time for the arrival of the moulds. (and some of the perks, like a few emulators...)

aesir911 said:
yup, don't know too much about how they are developing the software. just a bit curious if they would have the main portion of the software ready in time for the arrival of the moulds. (and some of the perks, like a few emulators...)
You still don't get it. The base system is basically workable. You will be able to play movies and music, go on the internet, play solitaire; all these things have already been shown in videos. These are things being developed by the OpenPandora team themselves (with input from others, I believe). Everything else is being written by regular users!
A few of these regular developers, like Pickle, received prototype boards to test on, but not very many. Those that did have tested a number of games and emulators, but not all of them, and not exhaustively: they can't work on getting everyone's project working; the developers should port their own software, but for that they need their own Pandora. It could be months before some of the projects are good enough, and if that bothers you, then you're in the wrong market.
If emulators are what you want, we've seen PS1, we've seen SNES, we've seen Dosbox. That should be more than enough to keep you busy for a month or two while some of the other emulators are worked on as devs get their own Pandoras to test with.

WizardStan said:
aesir911 said:
You still don't get it. The base system is basically workable. You will be able to play movies and music, go on the internet, play solitaire; all these things have already been shown in videos. These are things being developed by the OpenPandora team themselves (with input from others, I believe). Everything else is being written by regular users!
A few of these regular developers, like Pickle, received prototype boards to test on, but not very many. Those that did have tested a number of games and emulators, but not all of them, and not exhaustively: they can't work on getting everyone's project working; the developers should port their own software, but for that they need their own Pandora. It could be months before some of the projects are good enough, and if that bothers you, then you're in the wrong market.
If emulators are what you want, we've seen PS1, we've seen SNES, we've seen Dosbox. That should be more than enough to keep you busy for a month or two while some of the other emulators are worked on as devs get their own Pandoras to test with.

i know i don't get it, that's why i asked about it... thank you for informing me.

aesir911 said:
i know i don't get it, that's why i asked about it... thank you for informing me.
But there's no reason for you not to get it. All this information can be found in the various stickies at the top of the forum. Every question you've asked has been answered in one of those stickies, albeit some of the data is out of date. And yet even when someone did answer your questions, and then you carried on with the same questioning using a different phrase, it's no wonder people thought you were trolling. This is a very fundamental part of the project, the fact that everything is being written by the community, and will continue to be written for many months and years to come, and the idea that you may have purchased something without understanding what it is really about is shocking to me and everyone else. It'd be like buying a car because you heard they get you around faster, only to find out you need a license to drive them. Basic stuff that should have been part of your purchasing decision was glossed over.
Go back to the stickies, read the information. I'm sure that by the time the second batch comes around, it will be what you want, but that's only because it has had 7 or 8 months for software to build up. The first batch will, by necessity, be limited.

@aesir911 - In short read before you ask.

While the fact that some of the information that's available is considered out of date, does validate your reason for asking many of your questions in the first place. At almost every other answer that was given to you, you respond with "I know, but..." That's no objectively seeking an actual answer that is justifying a purchase. Not saying you don't have the right to, but we are all practically on the same boat; and the only one that can justify the purchase is you. We can't do your work for you.

I have quote of my own...

@aesir911 - In short read before you ask.

While the fact that some of the information that's available is considered out of date, does validate your reason for asking many of your questions in the first place. At almost every other answer that was given to you, you respond with "I know, but..." That's not objectively seeking an actual answer that is justifying a purchase

hope that helps in case you missed it exactly one minute ago.

aesir911 said:
WizardStan said:
aesir911 said:
the data is out of date

Out of date doesn't actually mean invalid in the majority of the time, it just means it could be updated with new timescales etc. Pretty much everything about the whole project has remained the same since the start(or at least over a year), apart from dc & n64 is very hard and wasn't being looked at, well it's still hard, no idea final speed but it's now being worked on.
You took that 1 quote and not the rest of what he said. I'm sure you'll say something about it in a couple different threads....

@aesir911
What you are buying is essentially a computer in a very small box with gaming controls.
The only software OpenPandora are obliged to have ready is the Operating System, which is pretty much ready.
Other software will be made or ported by other developers in their spare time.

All this does raise the point that we should probably update the wiki and other resources a bit.
It would be a lot easier to say "Go away and read the Stickies" if they definitely answered people's questions accurately.

In fact, someone should go through the history of aesir911's posts and use them as a baseline for updating the FAQ, he is a Frequently Asked Question asking machine. :p

EDIT: I'm going to have a quick run through the FAQ actually, and try and make sure nothing is actually wrong.

The first thing the software will want you to do is to download and install the latest image. This might not be a feature on the first 4000, but it will be on the next batch.

Also note there will be *NO* real media playing abilities built in - you will have to download mplayer for that as we can't afford to pay the licences for all the codecs. All those Chinese/Korean PMPs just get away with not paying - we would not, someone would make sure we were found out.

However I'm sure there will be a PandoraFirmware++ with everything built in, ready to download, from day one.

craigix said:
Also note there will be *NO* real media playing abilities built in - you will have to download mplayer for that as we can't afford to pay the licences for all the codecs.
Not even open formats?

craigix said:
However I'm sure there will be a PandoraFirmware++ with everything built in, ready to download, from day one.

So we all know which torrent to be searching for now? ;)

Think this has been discussed a few times. Doesn't vlc use its own codecs, and can it be compiled to ARM, I'll have to check their page out once I'm home. Any word on the dsp accelerated codecs?

aesir911 said:
WizardStan said:
aesir911 said:
the data is out of date

And that is why you fail. If you're not going to do any thinking for yourself and just want all the answers handed to you on a silver plate, then I am not going to answer any more of your questions.

craigix said:
The first thing the software will want you to do is to download and install the latest image. This might not be a feature on the first 4000, but it will be on the next batch.
Hmm.. I really should find a faster way into the Web instead of a 56K Modem...

craigix said:
Also note there will be *NO* real media playing abilities built in - you will have to download mplayer for that as we can't afford to pay the licences for all the codecs. All those Chinese/Korean PMPs just get away with not paying - we would not, someone would make sure we were found out.
What's the trick of all these "illegal" PMPs not to be harmed for not paying licenses? And could we also benefit from this trick if there is one? Just in case... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back