Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 2010

• April 2010

• Death - Mom didn't raise a qutter.

• Total voters

I'll wait until something better than the Pandora comes out, which is unlikely. But if a PSP2 or a next gen handheld is announced with better specs, 2 analog nubs, and good controls (and can be hacked nicely), I'll have to say my farewells to the Pandora. The open source linux aspect and keyboard are pretty interesting, but in the end I'm just interested in a handheld with the power to emulate the most systems and play them efficiently.

Chances are that the Pandora will still beat out a PSP2 or whatever though, so I'll be sticking to the Pandora for quite a while.

I will wait till the release, even if a better handheld is announced I will still buy a Pandora! I'm not a quitter!

I guess the main reason why some pandora buyers are rather infinitely lenient (or indolent?)... (aka zealots) with delays etc is because they were all dreaming of this kind of device just like the dev team was ever since and acknowledging that waiting for sony to produce the very same thing wouldn't happen and that you yourself wouldn't be able to put anything together yourself, and thus you're very happy and rooting for the team on the forum that suprised everyone by being able to pull something like this together when everyone had lukewarm to semi-hyped hopes for the next thing out of GamePark Holdings as their only hopes on the horizon for something better and more complete than the GP2X (which came with several points of lack of vision and delivery).

The mindset is like that well put car ride to London example: Would I stumble upon these hurdles (producing delays) if I were the one doing this rather ambitious electronics project? -I and my equals would probably take a whole lot longer if I could pull it off at all.

And next time around (advice: selling-point: zero-point energy powered) the open source handheld community will have lots of experience and that experience isn't going into locked drawers at Sony.

Nominally I'd wait forever, mainly because I don't think that anything better is going to come out before the P&|A does.

If something as good where to magically appear though, it would be a tough choice. I'd probably stick with the P&|A though for the community :)

I would also wait "forever" but if I don't have it until beginning of 2010 (Latest: December 2009) then I would much more like to get my money back because ARM powered netbooks are becoming more common already and they are just as open source as this if you put the same distro on them.. The only thing I would be crying about is the missing analog control. But it seems that no-one besides me really cares about that, or atleast the team doesn't care as much as about the game controls etc. which makes me think that they won't turn out too good neither.

Notice how the last date is April, 2010? I'm a little afraid now. The Mayan calender stops in Dec, 2012. But it looks like we have less time here on earth then I thought. So please craigx & co. Release the Pandora before the end of the world!

Don't think i will be giving up my order, even if it lasts till 2010. i'm pretty sure i'm in the 1st 400 (especially with ppl giving up their order) so i will at least have it as one of the first.

BUT, if i don't have it a year after i payed (30 september) i will be wery wery disappointed and start making "I WANT MY PANDORA NOW!!!" threads as well. ;)

I put down December, but that's based on the assumption that big product launches are gearing up for xmas. So, I figured that if something competitive were to come out, there's a good chance it would happen by then. However, I'm not sure that something truly competitive will come along.

However, according to Craig, we're in the home stretch, and the team is down to the last couple of final details. So, with any luck, this pole will be totally useless. :D

JayFoxRox posted on May 28 2009 at 09:55 PM said:
The only thing I would be crying about is the missing analog control. But it seems that no-one besides me really cares about that, or atleast the team doesn't care as much as about the game controls etc. which makes me think that they won't turn out too good neither.
Not sure what you mean there..? Pandora has always been a gaming console first. It's being built by gamers who care more about good controls than most of us do about breathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but still: all the talk right now is about the digital gaming controls and action buttons.
Thats the stuff DaveC fixes - thats what they really care about. The analog nubs didn't work yet (//edit: shown videos..) and were never shown working.
I'm pretty sure they have rarely (maybe even never) been tested in ego-shooters or racing games yet.

All we did hear was that they are in a good, reachable position.
About half a year ago I placed some plastic nubs on my DS to see how it would work and it didn't feel comfortable after about 2 minutes of just holding it like that - not even using it.
That was because the shoulder buttons weren't reachable anymore as I had to bend my finger all the time.
Another problem is that they are quite small (I was always hoping that they would use the bigger movement area and not the smaller one which was picked then) and probably hard to use in shooters therefore.

Its probably like the PSP one with slightly more grip in another position..

Besides "No Qutting", Looks like the biggest spike on the list is shaping up to be September '09.

The one year pre-order milestone is in September, that can't be a coincidence.

I know it's dangerous to trust Internet polls, and also dangerous to extrapolate from a small sample size, but that's 25% threatening to cancel before the end of September! I Sure hope they ship out before that one year milestone.

that is if the dev team don't boost the cancelers' enthusiasm by promising a complementary bundling with a dev team beach wear n' oiled-in photo calendar for their pandoras.

Yet another thread like this. :huh:

Personally, i'll be waiting for the Pandora till the cows come home. They worked too hard and i've waited too long to quit now. This device is so extraordinary to not have(even with the short, non-elongated key font chosen). Hooo-yaaa!!!

I'm staying in...my luck I'd ask for a refund only to see them announce shipping the next week or two after that... :rolleyes: But I'm going to be playing mostly Commodore games on this thing anyway, so it's not like those games can get any older in the meantime.

I'm sure the analog nubs will be demoed as soon as they are working...

I'm in for the long haul...

Only because this thing is a dream come true and I have faith that it will eventually come out. If I had any doubts I'd put a limit on my waiting time, but it's just too dang close.

Back