Votes: 0 0.0%
  • March 2010

• April 2010

• Death - Mom didn't raise a qutter.

• Total voters

Since I paid for it , My patience is finite, But since I am not the only one waiting I will wait for it. But not so long that it is becomes outdated in a short time. What would be the point of that.

The poll does not please me. If it is in any way accurate, in about a month, 8% will ask for their money back. In August, we'll be up to 14%. September will see 25% of orders canceled and refunds requested. I can't accurately speak for the teams finances, but I can reasonably guess based on past finance issues that they couldn't afford to refund 25% of all sales. Even 10% might be pushing it: that's $132000 US they'd have to refund, and I doubt they just have that lying around for emergency.
I can only hope this is not even close to an accurate picture; that as the time approaches people change their mind and don't ask for a refund (or are too lazy); or they actually do hit a July/August delivery, because September would definitely kill them.

I can hardly believe they hung in this long with more than half fully committed. Most commercial enterprises usually lose money for the first 3-5 years. M$ is still losing money on every xbox trying to buy market share, no clue as to the mark up but half the first pandora run pre-ordered sounds more likely a break even proposition to me which is still pretty good for any startup.

Well, about a week or so before the Pandora ships, they could do a second round of orders to replace all the people who canceled.

; or they actually do hit a July/August delivery, because September would definitely kill them.
Yea, everyone's focusing on that 50%, like it was a sticker that said "50% FAT FREE!".

But seriously, look how low the sample size is. Probably the people who are most anxious are the only ones reading the forum enough to notice (or care about) the poll.
Also : People on the Internet are all talk.

So the reality is probably not as horrible as the poll would have us believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
One should also remember who is posting to this poll - us. The louder, more strident customers. It's likely that a greater percentage aren't as vocal because they just aren't as loudmouthed as WE are - and therefore also less likely to shout "Cancel!".

Of course. after all this time they may simply have forgotten tha tthey ordered a Pandora ;)

the poll.
Also : People on the Internet are all talk.

So the reality is probably not as horrible as the poll would have us believe.
Unfortunately the first rule of customer service says the opposite:

"For every one customer who voices dissatisfaction, another ten simply walk away and say nothing". Remember the reorder fiasco? It wasn't a case of the non-members of the board needing to *ask* to opt-out. They were already refunded and then had to actively opt back in, following an extremely suspiciously worded email (in order to accept this fantastic upgrade we are refunding your money and you need to pay again). I'm prepared to bet that the amount of people who simply ignored the email or decided not to re-order is in the hundreds, possibly over a thousand.

As for weather the vote is representative, I don't know. I don't tend to vote in these polls (and haven't in this one) as I tend to change my mind quite often. As Pandora has been in the unique situation of having nothing to really compete with it I have been happy to play the waiting game, but now Chinavasion have some pretty interesting mobile phones that cover most of what I want the Pandora for, and at a much lower price so I'm starting to debate with myself as to how long I'm really prepared to wait.

. I'm prepared to bet that the amount of people who simply ignored the email or decided not to re-order is in the hundreds, possibly over a thousand.
+1

As Pandora has been in the unique situation of having nothing to really compete with it I have been happy to play the waiting game, but now Chinavasion have some pretty interesting mobile phones that cover most of what I want the Pandora for, and at a much lower price so I'm starting to debate with myself as to how long I'm really prepared to wait.
+1. Competitors start to emerge. It's debatable if mobile phones from chinavision are direct competitors, but there are other options on the market which are already there or almost there (disclaimer : almost !=current time + 2 months)

I hope the economic crisis slows technological advances down cause my biggest concern is that something better will come out. I probaly won't cancel my order unless I thought it would never come out. Btw what would happen to the second batch if the companies who supplied components for the Pandora had become bankrupt?

Btw what would happen to the second batch if the companies who supplied components for the Pandora had become bankrupt?
They would need to source parts from alternative suppliers.
If the company bankrupts without delivering the goods, in which case it will involve a long battle involving tribunals to try to claw back some money, and also a frantic search for a company that is capable and willing to produce your parts.
However, as they would have no existing relationship with any new companies, they would most likely need to pay again, and at a higher price, plus wait for said item to be fitted into the new factorie's production schedule.

Second batch would be more expensive certainly, that is if they manage to find all the required parts.
If not, then it doesn't ship out.
Basically someone has to cover the additional cost of the parts, probably halved between end user and OP team.
Whether they could afford to keep the price for second batchers, or pass the increase to third batchers is another question.

Btw what would happen to the second batch if the companies who supplied components for the Pandora had become bankrupt?
I don't think it's the biggest issue we have here. My biggest concern is Openpandora Ltd won't tolerate the amount of "I've had enough, give me my money back". We don't know anything about the first batchers by the exception of a small fraction of those who post here. What if people start to cancel their orders? We won't know because the team remains cryptic about the financial side of the project. All we know is that they took a huge risk. I also know that my money is there and I start to think that it's a risky investment.
It would have been better if they just took my money without any date at all. That would have kept people calm. But instead they keep making estimates which don't match with reality. :unsure:

I'll wait until the Asus T91 multitouch is released, about same as Winblows 7 release time.
I guess it is until October.

I think they said that one part supplier actually did go under, and they had to pay for something like a CNC case twice because of a screw-up.

I want to buy something like the Pandora, if someone can make a better or cheaper version, I'll get that instead. OP has until such time to deliver.

edit: Right, analog nubs... I thought CNC for some reason.

I think they said that one part supplier actually did go under, and they had to pay for something like a CNC case twice because of a screw-up.
I want to buy something like the Pandora, if someone can make a better or cheaper version, I'll get that instead. OP has until such time to deliver.

nah, it was the analog nubs company.

nah, it was the analog nubs company.
Specifically, the company that designed the nubs went belly up, we are told, without paying the company that actually manufactures the nubs. The result being, seemingly, that OpenPandora don't have the source code to make any changes should further corrections be necessary, and might well be up ship creek without a paddle if the manufacturer puts its little legs in the air.

OpenPandora do, however, SEEM to have the designs to the rest of the Pandora as far as I've been able to discern, and MIGHT have enough of the nub design to get them manufactured elsewhere for a second batch should it come to it. If they don't, then they might well get the nubs redesigned by yet another company but, crucially, I'd expect them to include ownership of the designs/sources in any new deal.

Since the Pandora seems to have just lost the "most powerful handheld in the world" title to the iPhone 3GS, (identical specs, and you hold it in your hand, regardless) I'm going for Oct '09.

By that point, things are getting ridiculous. 13 months since we preordered for the first time. I really hope the Pandora will materialise within a reasonable timeframe. :)

By the way, how many people actually held onto the promise of Duke Nukem Forever for 11 freakin' years? Sure, it came out, but man, who wouldnt have lost faith? It's called common sense and making reasonable decisions. "I'm never giving up" is a silly option to be honest. :)

My biggest concern is Openpandora Ltd won't tolerate the amount of "I've had enough, give me my money back". We don't know anything about the first batchers by the exception of a small fraction of those who post here. What if people start to cancel their orders? We won't know because the team remains cryptic about the financial side of the project.
I remember back when the refunds/reorders were happening that it was mentioned that OP Ltd had sufficient funds for the production despite the payment status of the pre-orders. They've lost a bunch of money from the HSBC debacle and the analog nub company going under, but they're still powering along full speed. I don't think you have to worry about your particular scenario.

Specifically, the company that designed the nubs went belly up, we are told, without paying the company that actually manufactures the nubs. The result being, seemingly, that OpenPandora don't have the source code to make any changes should further corrections be necessary, and might well be up ship creek without a paddle if the manufacturer puts its little legs in the air.
Depending on how the nubs are put together, it's not totally inconceivable for someone to rip one apart and reverse engineer it with an eye to writing new firmware. :ph34r:

Back