Between A Rock And A Hard Place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phawx

Professional Derailer
(As much as I"d like, I can not quit these forums.)

So I just read the new blog post by ED and he makes mention that the case doesn't fit perfectly. We already knew this because of what Craig said a week or so ago. Chip has said this will cause no delay whatsoever because it's just a small part of the case, not the case proper.

But it still looks like it's going to cause a delay.

Then, the REAL deadline thread. A REAL deadline for what? Why make threads that are sensationalist? Craig already did this to spur Bank transfers and Cheques/MO two months ago. Doing it AGAIN is just lame.

So to reference the topic, why can't OP be straight with us? I am not saying to give us a deadline until you KNOW it. But why are you so afraid to just tell us that there is currently NO DATE. All information from OP is either non-existent, vague or completely ambiguous and is left for the followers to piece together information from multiple threads scattered over different timelines. As much as I love "Info-Puzzles" I think many of us who have been here for awhile just want the truth. I've only been here since August of 08, there were many other people that were here longer than I.

I understand that OP is between a rock and a hard place. But considering how long many of us have been with the project and investing in it to make it become a reality, when you are not straight with us, I find it disrespectful.

When you say nothing, it is like being in a dark forest. And when you give us vague information or information that doesn't add up, it's like you are creating the sounds in the dark. A snapped twig, an animal rustling through, whatever sounds you hear, you start to imagine what horrible things could potentially cause you harm. But if you give us a torch and light our way, we can clearly see what lies ahead. And we can prepare for our trip.

So this is how I interpret OPs situation. All 3,500 of us are in the dark. What does OP do? Do they wait for the sun to come up? Or do they supply us with light so that we can see whats in the woods, good or bad. Some will be horrified by what is truly in the woods. Some will be happy they know what lies before them.

Mostly we only get half-information. What I am saying is, We are in the dark. Either give us some light or don't make a sound.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand your frustration but all they've ever said is "this is what we have to do before it can be sent out, they gave us rough estimates because they could not give an actual day. It's everyone else saying that the estimates add up to some particular day so it's not fair to place the blame at OPs feet for your feelings of not being told the whole story.

They've told us what they need to do, all we can do is sit back and wait for them to do it, that's all we could ever do. the fact that they give us the information we DO get is a lot more than some of the biggest companies out there do.

i am not angry or upset or anything by how long it is taking but i would rather regular progress reports with turnaround for each job (with updates to each if theres a delay) than any kind of overall delivery date. for example i only want to know how long the cases are going on to be if i know the order has been put through. if we are like "oh they'll be done in 6 weeks" when we dont even know if thats been started then i think thats pointless.

things take as long as they need to and i really think most people understand that it is happening for a reason i.e. making the product better in the end, but the more long term delivery date estimates are useless.

all i am interested in (and i even acknowledge that i dont NEED to know it) is what stages are being done at any given time and if we know how long that will take to complete and what else that leaves to be done. mostly i think that is happening so i have few complaints, it is just a shame that these would be less of a problem if we had no concept of delivery dates in the first place.

'Alpha2' said:
I understand your frustration but all they've ever said is "this is what we have to do before it can be sent out, they gave us rough estimates because they could not give an actual day. It's everyone else saying that the estimates add up to some particular day so it's not fair to place the blame at OPs feet for your feelings of not being told the whole story.

They've told us what they need to do, all we can do is sit back and wait for them to do it, that's all we could ever do. the fact that they give us the information we DO get is a lot more than some of the biggest companies out there do.
I care about two things.

1) upon release there's some way I can use VOIP with a USB cam
2) I get it before the 17th May when I go away on a long holiday and want to be able to get in touch with my better half back in the UK

apart from that, kudos for all the updates, I just hope everything comes together in time, it's shaping up to be one hell of a device. I guess one way of looking at it, is that the longer it takes to get to market, the less high-tec the technology will appear so it is in Mweston et al (not to lower the influence of the other partners) best interests to get it out to us as quick as they can.

Plus I would imagine they all want to see a complete Pandora as much as we do, it is their baby after all :D

Fingers crossed!

To summarize what I said. If you are going to tell us something, be straight about it and give us the particulars. If you can't meet that, maintain radio silence.

'RenegadeChic' said:
things take as long as they need to and i really think most people understand that it is happening for a reason i.e. making the product better in the end, but the more long term delivery date estimates are useless.
Yep... I must say that some dates are really discouraging since when the expected date arrives, you find out that the product is not finished you get like :( :( :( :( :(

It happened when they said "before xmas", it happened again when someone said us "it is february", it's happening again since it's April and the pandora is at least still 30 days away...

'kattle87' said:
'RenegadeChic' said:
Yep... I must say that some dates are really discouraging since when the expected date arrives, you find out that the product is not finished you get like :( :( :( :( :(

It happened when they said "before xmas", it happened again when someone said us "it is february", it's happening again since it's April and the pandora is at least still 30 days away...

Discouraging to say the least.......Glad I didn't plop my money down like I was about to for XMAS.......and its what now.....;sigh.......

Don't get me wrong I know the whole bank thing messed everything up, but we all have to have some faith in the OP Team.

DSR

What do you want me to do, pull a date out of my ass so you can be even more upset when it turns out to not be accurate? Shall I randomly select a date so far in the future that there is no way it won't have shipped by then? You're not going to be happy with a fake date and, as I said in the other thread I closed today, there are still too many variables to set an accurate release date. Since the answer really is "I don't know", then asking the question over and over again isn't going to help.

The changes to the case are minor and probably won't hold up anything else. The Pandora is being sent for certification as-is, and final case manufacturing cannot start before that has finished anyway. By the time certification is done, we should have the new piece (one piece, not the whole case) and if all is well the factory starts cutting the molds.

I've said all this before in exactly as many words, so I don't know where your imaginary information deficit is coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back