What's The Geekiest Thing You've Ever Done?

Titcher said:
And there's no such thing as girls on the internet, they're all 40 year old men pretending to be girls.
Wrongggggggg :p

Soo the most geekiest thing I have ever done was when I was 14:

I made a couple of pressure pads out of tin foil, sticky back plastic and cardboard. I then slid them under the carpet on two steps on the staircase. The pressure pads were connected to the Kempston joystick port on my ZX spectrum and I wrote a little program to make a siren noise for one second when anyone stepped on the pads.

This allowed me to watch my television late at night and I was always warned when my mum was sneaking up stairs to check on me B)

Unfortunately I was caught out when she popped her head round the door and my dad was coming up the stairs and set off the little alarm. I was grounded for a week and had to cancel the slumber party that weekend :(

Last edited by a moderator:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Titcher said:
And there's no such thing as girls on the internet, they're all 40 year old men pretending to be girls.

I made a couple of pressure pads out of tin foil, sticky back plastic and cardboard. I then slid them under the carpet on two steps on the staircase. The pressure pads were connected to the Kempston joystick port on my ZX spectrum and I wrote a little program to make a siren noise for one second when anyone stepped on the pads.

This allowed me to watch my television late at night and I was always warned when my mum was sneaking up stairs to check on me B)

Unfortunately I was caught out when she popped her head round the door and my dad was coming up the stairs and set off the little alarm. I was grounded for a week and had to cancel the slumber party that weekend :(

that is quite impressive :D

lately i find ive been using internet/leet speak in real life, (when i say leet i mean 'noob' and 'lol' and such)
ive been calling my cats noobs for a while and somtimes have the urge to say LOL but always manage to hold it in.

weird ?

i think so :wacko: :wacko:

WarmFluffyUK said:
Titcher said:

wow you should of married macguyver youd have the smartest kids in the world :D

WarmFluffyUK said:
Titcher said:

That's one of the most practical homebrew software I ever heard of :lol:

Speaking of homebrew, how's your version of Berserk coming along? No pressure or anything, just wondering :)

I've done some pretty geeky things in my time, and according to the wife I have started talking bash commands and about the virtues of linux in my sleep.

I had to work a weekend once, to rebuild one of our clients Windows 2003 servers.
After waiting for 30 mins for Windows 2003 setup to format the 2TB disk array me and my work mate got bored.
We removed the works LAN CCTV from the front door and hooked it up in front of the monitor of the server we where rebuilding.
We then hosted the CCTV on the internet using DynamicDns.
I then VNC'd to my home PC and checked I could see the CCTV footage, which I could.
We then proceeded to goto the local pub where they had an internet PC, bought up the screen and got pissed!

I'm sure there are more things I've done that are geeky, but that will do for the moment!

WarmFluffyUK - Like your style, I did something very similar with my Speccy but I used a trip wire. I never got busted thought :)

:D Warmfluffy!
I have made also something similar on my Amstrad cpc 6128.
I have done a program that logged the opening of my room's door in order to check if my little sister sneaked into my room.
The system was very simple. I just made a contact between to wires to my joystick port and the program logged when the two wires were disconnected.
Of course she came into my room :)
That was fun... And a bit geeky I think.

virusx said:
:D Warmfluffy!
I have made also something similar on my Amstrad cpc 6128.
I have done a program that logged the opening of my room's door in order to check if my little sister sneaked into my room.
The system was very simple. I just made a contact between to wires to my joystick port and the program logged when the two wires were disconnected.
Of course she came into my room :)
That was fun... And a bit geeky I think.
lol excellent.

And forgive me if I am wrong, did you get your forum name from the excellent virus checker on the Amiga? My god, that was a bit geeky of me lol.

Alex. said:
That's one of the most practical homebrew software I ever heard of :lol:

Speaking of homebrew, how's your version of Berserk coming along? No pressure or anything, just wondering :)
To be honest, Berzerk is on hold as I got put off with a few things:

1. I can't dev fenix on vista.
2. Fenix is still a little flakey on the 2X.

But don't dispair, I will be back on it shortly.

I also remember now that the program displayed a black screen as you can't shut down the screen of the cpc 6128 without shuting down the power.

WarmFluffyUK said:
...did you get your forum name from the excellent virus checker on the Amiga? My god, that was a bit geeky of me lol.
Not really, perhaps unconsciously as I know this program.
Virus was my nickname during my teenage, it became my artist name after that.
And, as red on this forum, the X is for the geeky "cool factor" ;)

virusx said:
I also remember now that the program displayed a black screen as you can't shut down the screen of the cpc 6128 without shuting down the power.

WarmFluffyUK said:
...did you get your forum name from the excellent virus checker on the Amiga? My god, that was a bit geeky of me lol.
Not really, perhaps unconsciously as I know this program.
Virus was my nickname during my teenage, it became my artist name after that.
And, as red on this forum, the X is for the geeky "cool factor" ;)

Ahh I see :blink: .

Reading your post about your bedroom door, I did the same with my bedroom door, but I connected the two wires to drawing pins in the door frame, the drawing pins being the contacts. I totally forgot about that!

Another geeky thing I did involved a friend (No jokes please), we were asked by a small company to produce ZX spectrum interface for their product. It was for a sort of Lego type robot thing that they interfaced to the BBC Micro. We did it, and also wrote some basic software to control it with a joystick! After that we were invited to demo it at the London Micro fare which coincided with my 18th birthday!

I did something similar, but it was before I had my spectrum, so it was more of a wind up alarm clock dismantaled and wired up to my bedroom door. :D

I also made foot pedels for my spectrum driving games, using a block of wood, micro switches, cables and parts from a kempston joystick and some card. It worked quite well and I am so proud of it that its still in my loft somewhere :)

I dont know if thats geekie or just plain sad :rolleyes:

I went to a fancy dress birthday party which theme was video game characters

I want as

Ryu01.gif

the worst thing is I enjoyed it :rolleyes:

Line O'Sevens said:
I don't know about geekiest ever, but just the other day I was driving behind another car in the late afternoon. As we rounded a bend and the shadows changed accordingly I thought to myself "Cool - dynamic soft shadows!" before I realised how very sad I was.

:huh:
I did something similar to this once. I was driving in my car (which has power steering) and had been at it for a few hours and was in the zone (you know) and I go into a turn and think to myself "WTF why isn't my force feedback working?" And then I look down and realize that I am holding a real car wheel and not a plastic one. :lol:

whiskthecat said:
Line O'Sevens said:
I don't know about geekiest ever, but just the other day I was driving behind another car in the late afternoon. As we rounded a bend and the shadows changed accordingly I thought to myself "Cool - dynamic soft shadows!" before I realised how very sad I was.

:huh:
I did something similar to this once. I was driving in my car (which has power steering) and had been at it for a few hours and was in the zone (you know) and I go into a turn and think to myself "WTF why isn't my force feedback working?" And then I look down and realize that I am holding a real car wheel and not a plastic one. :lol:

I wish I could drive at the age of 15 :)

:eek: after using Norton Commander, FAR Manager, Total Commander
i wasn't able to push "8" in an elevator...
because "F8" means DELETE in the listed commanders :ph34r:

daclassicgamingmaster said:
I wish I could drive at the age of 15 :)
Yea, I guess it's good to get an early start. I've had my permit since the day I turned 15 and I get my real license on Sept. 18th.

Back