Gp2xbox Joystick Mod

gaterooze

Coltrane Sundia
Website
Visit site
I've been looking around for a joystick cap mod to my liking, and I finally found it.

It's the same as the PS2 stick mod, but I prefer this cap top, which has a concave area the perfect size for my thumb. It also has four nubs at each direction, and is made from a thick rubber which has great traction.

I grabbed a broken Mad Catz Xbox joypad, opened it up, ripped the analogue stick off, then used a grinder to get rid of the bottom part and grind down the shaft (length and diameter). I then drilled a hole the same size as in the original GP2X cap and stuck it on -- perfect fit! It sits a smidge higher than the old cap, but not enough to notice.

gp2xbox1op4.jpg

The "pointy" GP2X mk2 cap is pretty good, however I found my thumb slipping off too often. I also had to let my thumb slide onto the rim to move in another direction, which made the process less precise and, essentially, enhanced the throw distance considerably. Having said all that, I still found the joystick quite decent, and had no wish to have a D-Pad (after using the PSP's D-pad a fair bit lately, I found it absolutely horrible).

I didn't expect this Xbox cap mod to make a whole lot of difference, but to my surprise it really does! The stick is now more responsive, directions are still a breeze to hit, and due to the tight crater on top (allowing my thumb to remain in one spot with fantastic grip), the throw distance seems much less.

One happy camper :D

gaterooze posted on Sep 11 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
... which has a concave area the perfect size for my thumb...

You have a tiny thumb :p

Thanks for sharing your mod with us :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sehs33 posted on Sep 11 2006 at 07:02 AM said:
gaterooze posted on Sep 11 2006 at 09:50 AM said:
... which has a concave area the perfect size for my thumb...

You have a tiny thumb :p

Thanks for sharing your mod with us :)

Hehehe. Maybe I should say "the ball of my thumb?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back