Can You Recommend Any Homebrew Games

there is a good amount of quality homebrew for the gp2x and i think some people overlook that and instead focus only on emulators and interpreters of commercial games like doom and quake. here is some quality actual homebrew which also includes ports of homebrew computer games. games coded specifially for gp2x are numbered:

1)vektar: great shooter made specifically for gp2x. everyone with a gp2x should have played this.

beats of rage: fun beat em up engine that has many mods available. regular bor was on gp32 but i don't think openbor was on it which is also included in the gp2x port. mods available at borgeneration.com among other places.

cdogs: fun old dos game with a good port. has a good selection of user created levels though they are hard to find. I did however find two sites with mission downloads: http://cyberdogs2001.tripod.com/downloads.htm and http://www.uta.fi/~antti.hukkanen/cdogs.html

heroes2x: port of a game i had never heard of before but really fun and cool effects with certain powerups. it is kind of like a modern much more involving snake or nibbles clone at least in quest mode. there is also other modes of play too like deathmatch. cool feature is autopilot which keeps you from running into yourself or others unless they are on fire or you are trapped into a collision. this makes the game more strategic and keeps you from dying from stupid mistakes or controls not doing what you wanted. highly reccommended.

nethack: very good and well adapted to the gp2x port of the extremely old yet extremely fun rpg.
download not in archive though as it considered to early to be put there.

ladykiller: port of gp32 game that is a lot of fun. flip the tiles and avoid the enemies to reveal pictures of anime girls. gameplay is very addictive.

minigame project: port from gp32 yet with added games for gp2x. lots of fun little games for gp2x.

extender: better version of extender from minigame project with recap of how well you did and high score table.

2)levelshmup: made just for gp2x and is a pretty fun and challenging shooter. only gripe is enemies take too many shots to kill.

rockdoger: fun side scrolling game where you avoid being hit by asteroids by dodging them, using your shield or blowing them up. i think this is a pc or linux port.

kobo deluxe: simple yet fun port of shooter availabe for many platforms. destroy the cores of the bases.

spout: fun port of gp32 abstract shooter where you try to reach as high as you can using your exhaust to carve out a path for you.

3) tilematch: fun puzzle game similar to zoo keeper for nintendo ds. made just for gp2x as far as i know.

4) startrucker: very fun space taxi clone with cool backgrounds. made just for gp2x and submitted in the competition earlier this year.

freedroid: port of pc game which is an enhanced clone of paradroid. very fun and very tough yet something you will want to keep coming back too.

noiz2sa: port of abstract shooter pc game made by kenta cho. puts you in bullet hell yet is oddly releaxing because of the simple shapes and nice music. simple well made game that i keep coming back to. would really love to see more of his games ported to gp2x.

supertux: port of linux game that is somewhat of a clone of mario yet has it own look and well designed levels.

smashgp2x: port of gp32 clone of super smash bros. chaotic fun.

(Extraterrestres would be here as well and is made just for gp2x but currently doesn't work with firmware 2.0 though the author is working on fixing it. if you have firmware 1.4 give it a try. fast paced game where you try not to get stuck at left of screen. reminds me of icy tower in its simple addictiveness. one of my favorites til fw 2.0 broke it)

(many others would list beat2x as well but those games just aren't my thing so i wont count it for my list)

so there is 17 (not counting extender seperately) quality homebrew games with 4 made exclusively for gp2x. some others aren't available for gp32 or have features that the gp32 versions don't have. considering the amount of replayabiliy these games games there is quite a lot of fun to be had on the gp2x playing just legal freeware homebrew games alone. not bad considering the amount of time the gp2x has been out. there is also a decent amount of very high quality homebrew being worked on such as war chaos. i really dont see how people can say there is a lack of quality homebrew for the gp2x.

Back