What would you like to see?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite some time since we have seen something new here. Just wanted to suggest testing phoronix test suite on the devboard/prototype (when available).

I have been fiddling with the program and I would like to compare omap5 results with my laptop, it's a pretty lame AMD E2 and expect to replace it mostly with Pyra.

I know that results from a benchmarking program will differ from real world behaviour, but it's just to have some numbers to compare.

Thanks in advance.

So I had this odd thought that stemmed from a request Exophase had made of an owner of an X86 tablet computer...

I may be misunderstanding Exagear again... My current understanding is that it enables running Linux X86 programs on the Linux ARM dev boards (and by extension Pyra).

Has anyone tried to install and run the Linux X86 host version of VirtualBox (or similar) on the dev board and running it with Exagear?

More of a, 'can it happen' question than 'should it happen'.

Doesn't VirtualBox need its own Kernel Module? Because Exagear forwards the syscalls to the real ARM Kernel.

Virtualbox installs a kernel module to access the hardware hypervisor. While the pyra will have one, it will be useless for for running x86 virtual machines.

I would like to see the complete prototype being assembled for the first time (not sure if ED would be willing to do that for us).

Also, I would like to see a Pyra in my hands.;)

Could you try some first person shooter games on it with the nubs now that the prototype is almost done? Would like to see those nubs in action. Also maybe some comparison with the Pandora so we know how much of a upgrade it is.

Could you run a benchmark along the lines of crystalmark showing results for the various storage options for Pyra (eMMC, USB2, USB3, SD Card, Micro SD Card) this would let people know how much benefit they would get from eMMC compared to other storage options, thus, along with cost info, help them decide what size of eMMC would be best.

Can someone take a swing at SuperTuxKart 0.9.2 please? Or is the use of 3D OpenGL going to be a non-starter at this point?

I installed this on my sons (Linux Mint) computers last night - cool update.

^You'll need GLshim, and even then, some display elements will look wrong.
Alternatively, you might be able to get a cpu-rendered slideshow working.

SuperTuxKart 0.9.2 use a custom build of Irrlicht, not the official anymore, and also require shader with the 0.9 update (I haven't took a look at it yet, as previous version where already barely playable on Pandora).

On my PC the difference in terms of performance is far from negligible, 0.9.x needs much more GPU power :-/
But then, I think Jessie sticks to 0.8. *If* it runs on the Pyra, we may have to keep this version in the Pyra repositories to keep something playable. Wait and see, I guess it's a but early for that now...

Hi everyone,

I'm new around here and I'm searching the board for information on the many questions about the Pyra I have - obviously. Don't want to bother anyone with questions which might have been repeated many times already. ;)

For now, is there a software that allows screen capturing on the Pyra (or is it planned to port something like that), similar to how you capture using Quicktime on Mac for instance?

Thanks

so there's simple screen recorder already available for the Pandora, so it should be available for Pyra, too:
http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=ssr

if you don't need video, but just screen grabs, that's pretty easy, too. this is the bash script i called "screenshot" to take screen grabs:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ -z "$1" ]
then
    filename="screenshot.png"
    if [ -f $filename ]
    then
        filename="another-screenshot.png"
        if [ -f $filename ]
        then
            filename="ya-screenshot.png"
            if [ -f $filename ]
            then
                filename="screenshot.png"
                # only allow 3 screenshots.  go back to original.
            fi
        fi
    fi
    echo 3
    sleep 1
    echo 2
    sleep 1
    echo 1
    sleep 1
    echo "cheese!"
    wait
else
    filename="$1"
fi
import -window root "$filename"

Thanks! I was thinking about people who review stuff or even create let's plays and was curious whether Pyra had a "native" solution for that. :D

Thanks! I was thinking about people who review stuff or even create let's plays and was curious whether Pyra had a "native" solution for that. :D
My devboard videos I use an HDMI recorder and before that I just recorded from my phone pointing to the screen. It may be possible to record with a native run on device solution. However I feel it would eat up too much CPU/IO performance and bog down whatever game you are playing.

Back