What will a Pyra be able to do that the OpenPandora can't do now?

For the last month i have been following the progress of the GDP Pocket. Was seriously considering getting one as i've been very pleased with my XD. I've been following the progress of the Pyra for longer. Unfortunately i managed to break my Pandora somehow. I loved using it before hand. Now that the Pocket is released i can get one but i think i'll forget it and hold off for the Pyra, (will only be getting one). I had one major annoyances with my Pandora though and i hope it will be resolved with the Pyra and that's the nubs. The quality of the nubs is apparently improved which is good but will they be configurable? On the Pandora it bothered me that on 2d games or retro emulators i was not able to configure the nubs to be used instead of or as well as the D-pad. for games where diagonal movement is possible such as Zelda, i prefer to use nubs or analogue sticks.

For the last month i have been following the progress of the GDP Pocket. Was seriously considering getting one as i've been very pleased with my XD. I've been following the progress of the Pyra for longer. Unfortunately i managed to break my Pandora somehow. I loved using it before hand. Now that the Pocket is released i can get one but i think i'll forget it and hold off for the Pyra, (will only be getting one). I had one major annoyances with my Pandora though and i hope it will be resolved with the Pyra and that's the nubs. The quality of the nubs is apparently improved which is good but will they be configurable? On the Pandora it bothered me that on 2d games or retro emulators i was not able to configure the nubs to be used instead of or as well as the D-pad. for games where diagonal movement is possible such as Zelda, i prefer to use nubs or analogue sticks.
using the software QJoyPad you can set the nubs in joystick mode and the map buttons to them like the Dpad. I think there is a compiled version for the Pandora on the repo. I remember doing it when I had my Pandora. This should be possible for the Pyra too if someone ports it or if it is already in the Arm Debian repository.

Will fullspeed 60fps with sound CPS3 emulation be possible on this device?
Hmm... cpu seems to be 1 generation behind Naomi/Dreamcast.
Would be possible through Mame emulation.
Good question, not out of the box. Software wise the 3d acceleration still needs to be added to Pyra, afaik, and that could take a while.

Most of the games for the system are fighting games, a-la-StreetFighter3, so those are not heavy on the 3D... so maybe one of the dev's has time to test one out?

I've been unable to find the source for any CPS3 emulator; only windows builds of a beta. As the other thread says, no source==no port.

I was thinking of fullspeeed CPS3 emulation through a general arcade emulator like Mame or FBA?

I was thinking of fullspeeed CPS3 emulation through a general arcade emulator like Mame or FBA?
I found a video on youtube of someone emulating CPS3 on a galaxy S4 (via FBA I think) so it should be just fine on the Pyra.

the question is still not quite answered: cps 3 emulation is very likely possible, but I doubt at 60fps. which might not be a problem, because the cps 3 runs at 30fps max, as far as I know (at least the SF3 games).

Just played SFIII in FBA. Yes it plays pretty well on GHZ edition, still not perfect but I bet that will do on Pyra.

Could it run WINE compiled with an x86 emulator? (forgot the name of emulator)
Yeah I've played with both Exagear Desktop(Commercial) and Qemu with some success on the OMAP5 Devboard. I could get some early to mid 2000 windows games running without issues with Exagear. Qemu at the time didn't have as good performance, I haven't played with it in a while.

Last edited:
I wish to play hack-modded Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (WoG/ERA) so I hope it wil fit :)
But I am not sure if WINE could bear with the way they modded the engine (it's hacky)
Yeah I thought about Qemu. How much costs Exagear Desktop (if Qemu is not enough) ?

I wish to play hack-modded Heroes of Might & Magic 3 (WoG/ERA) so I hope it wil fit :)
But I am not sure if WINE could bear with the way they modded the engine (it's hacky)
Yeah I thought about Qemu. How much costs Exagear Desktop (if Qemu is not enough) ?
Last I saw it was around $30.

Does pyra have DAC function? I have never seen pandora but site says it had Burr-brown dac.

Back