What was the first game you ever played? Can you remember?

Not sure. I think Lemmings.

lemmings-title.png

I can't be sure, but it would have been one of three out of; Sonic the hedgehog 2, Wonderboy (1), or Wonder boy III the dragons trap.
Either way, i was about five years old and i can guarantee i would have been horrible at it

Current status: Beaten Sonic the hedgehog 2, Still horrible at wonderboy 1, (i get to frustrated and have to stop playing), and have beaten wonderboy III, three times (only once, using traditional passwords).

Last edited by a moderator:
Either Space Invaders, Missile Command, Asteroids, Berserk or Maze Craze on Atari 2600.

Possibly Berserk or Super Breakout on Atari 2600, but the first I remember actually playing was Super Mario Bros.

damn you guys are acient...
Damn you are a young whippersnapper - In my day pixels were as big as cats and games were as tough as walking uphill... in the snow. PS Get off my lawn *coughs and splutters* :lol:

1982, a school friend's Atari 2600, Night Driver (not that I knew the title at the time). Then nothing for a few years, then some type-in games from a BASIC book for the Casio FP-200. The one I remember most of these was a puzzle somewhere in the headspace between minesweeper and nonograms (I'm a bit fuzzy on the details).

And then, the family C64 with an ever-growing collection of bootleg disks swapped in the schooyard. First on that machine was that fly-catching frog simulator and a text-mode-3d maze, both off the same demo disk which I assume came with the system.

I played my first game on one of these http://computermuseum.50megs.com/brands/g7000.htm I must've been 5 or 6 zo around 1979 or so.

I had a cowboy and a racing game.

With the cowboy game one started in the topleft corner and one in the bottom right. There were some trees and stuff to work around but basically the one starting at the bottom always won because he could shoot the other cowboy in the foot while the other one couldn't hit him as the bullets only went horizontally.

The racing game I could play with my eyes closed at a certain point because the cars always came in the same order at the same time. And the track was just straight. So once I sussed out the rythm I could close my eyes and circumvent them all. I can remember my grandmother being really impressed by that. :)

It also came with a cartridge which allowed you to type assembly and program stuff. My father and I once spent a whole day typing in the assembly code for a sprite. We were very pleased with ourselves once it was done and we could move a little block around the screen with the joystick. Please note the keyboard so you can better understand what kind of chore it was. 

We soon ran into a logistical problem though. You couldn't save. So we either had to leave it on forever and never play anything else then move the sprite around or we had to say goodbye to the fruit of our hard labour. That ended our programming carreer on that machine :)

It all started from Soviet "Game & Watch" clones known as Elektronika IM (series of them):

elektronika_im02_nu_pogodi-260x152.jpg

Later my cousin had obtained a soviet pong clone machine from somewhere that hooks to a TV, so we played some of that. After that the NES clones finally arrived and I started my "real" gaming with Bomberman.

I think it was r-type on an older neighbour kids house.

Thats the one I remember the most. Those endbosses gave me nightmares as a six or seven year old.

Hard one to remember...

Might well have been Combat, the 2600 classic

Back