What was the first game you ever played? Can you remember?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I think the first game i ever played may have been an electronic handheld, with one crap game on it, or it might have been in an arcade on a boat.

- I often played the games on the boat from dublin to hollyhead in england.

I can't be sure what the first game i played was.

It may have been defender or pacman or a game where you drove a car that fired cannonballs, and the man could get out of the car and shoot.

Its on mame but i dont recall the name.

I fondly remember hot chase in the arcade on the boat though. Ramping over a train coming past a train crossing. I thought that was the coolest thing back then.

Well can anyone else remember for sure what the first game they ever played was?

^^^^Im recalling playing daley thompsons decathlon on a speccy years ago now. matchstick figures and endless hammering on buttons.

Don't know the name, but it was some sort of reaction game on a Timex Sinclair where you had to drop bombs on a city. Although there was a kind of Yars Revenge game that I remember playing on the Sinclair too. Don't remember which I actually played first, but it was one of those two.

Probably duck duck goose, I believe in kindergarden or in my strange first half of the day cooler kindergarden.

First video game though Aladin on SNES.

Not sure since I was 4 years old the first time, I can't remember exactly at that time what was the first one I got in my hands. 

I can however distincly remember playing Xenon on ORIC 1 (8 bit computer) , which was a shoot'em up game (really nice at the time, more fun to play than Galaxian). Some of my cousins had intellvision stuff at home so I know I played pong at once point too, not sure if it was earlier or after. 

I think the first game i ever played may have been an electronic handheld, with one crap game on it, or it might have been in an arcade on a boat. - I often played the games on the boat from dublin to hollyhead in england.

Well can anyone else remember for sure what the first game they ever played was?
Isn't Holyhead in Wales? :) *GDR*

First game I ever remember playing was an old electromechanical handheld called Drive Yourself Crazy.  I also seem to recall playing with various second hand Nintendo game and watch units.

EDIT: According to the site it was recommended for ages 6 and up...  I don't think I met that requirement at the time... :lol:

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't quite know what came first. I remember being quite captivated by Depthcharge in an arcade room at a summer resort (http://www.klov.net/game_detail.php?game_id=7558), but I don't rememeber if this was before or after my dad loaned an ABC80 from work over the summer vacations, and I got to play classics like Krig and Masken. I also have a vague memory of being with mum at work and being sat down in a computer room in front of a terminal where I could play stuff like tic-tac-toe and Adventure. This must have been, I've realised afterwards, some sort of minicomputer. I was too young at the time to be able to figure out whether it was a PDP or a VAX or whatever :D

Frantic Freddy on my father's Spectravideo, I was 3y.o. and I was able to launch the computer myself  :p

(I still own the game cartridge and the computer, but sadly the computer is dead :'( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Fv7IyiCIg

Just found that… so many fond memories :')

I also played Spectron, TetraHorror, a two players top-down Lighcycles-like game that added mines on the playfield, Armoured Assault, a shmup where you pilot a hovercraft on a river and many more. But Frantic Freddy really was the first game I can remember playing.

Yeah, for me it was either Giana Sisters on C64 when visiting my cousin who had one, or it was something like.Pacman or Space invaders on the first 286 PC of my father with an amber 13" screen, 20MB hard disc and 640 kB of RAM. ;-)

Breakout - I played it in a family pub in Porthcawl, South Wales when I was about 6 (1977).

I holidayed there regularly when I was a kid and there used to be a couple of small arcades that seemed to get all the best games. It's where I first played Gauntlet, OutRun and the ultimate jaw-dropper, Dragon's Lair.

Pong! Had heard about it, but when I first saw one I nagged my parents for a go on it. 'Course, being 2 player, one of them had to be my opponent, so the game didn't last very long.

Played loads of the old electro-mechanical games in the 70s - and the early black & white video games like Boot Hill in Airport lounges.

The local chip shop had a Breakout machine that was well used, until one day they wheeled in a Space Invaders cab....

Back