What to do with shitty rubber coatings?

elw3

ƐʍlƎ
I just received a new controller, quite the fancy thing but dirt cheap due to its rubber coating all sticky.
I intent to take the shell appart and clean it, but with what?
Anyone know which substance to use on these stupid "added grip" coatings?
To either remove/disolve it completely without damaging the plastic or to get the stickyness out.

I have some radios like that. They need to stop adding that coating, because the items become nearly useless once it starts degrading

I used cleaning alcohol (96%) but it will remove everything including paint etc. So if you just want to clean off all the sticky stuff and don't care about the surrounding material it probably is fine.

isopropyl alcohol. also known as rubbing alcohol. I have used it to clean quite a few controllers and other things with sticky rubber coatings.
The higher the concentration the better 99% is best but i have used 70% , it just takes a couple of goes.

You should return it on principle. It's a shit product and a scam. No one would think to check the description for stickiness they (you?) just want a low cost. Return it and buy a product that is at least serviceable. Boycott companies from countries that don't honour intellectual property.

The Win Mini also got 2 Strips of Rubber on the Sides to get a bit more save Grips, but at least theyre are not the whole surface..
On the other Side: Because this Thing can Emulate PS2 just fine, i dont have to use my Sticky Dualshock 2 on my Original PS2 .. the Nubs are quite sticky there, i think from dust, and the sun..

Update:
So ive tried several alcohol types, ethanol to iso, soaked some parts for some time, i got zero effect.

I already got good results with ethanol 96%. The caveat is that the coating needs to be totally degraded for it in order to work. I let it soak over night. That way I get the best results. Ultrasonic cleaner is also an option if possible. Last weekend I cleaned Rubber using a steam cleaner and a pressure washer, also good results.

PS: Written from my funky new Pyra :cool:

Honest question: What kind of inbreed kapitalist consumer Karen returns stuff for a little fault?
Societey would collapse if all people where so wasteful.

Honest question: What kind of inbreed capitalist consumer Karen returns stuff for a little fault?
Society would collapse if all people where so wasteful.
Depends, is the sellers sells them for cheap with the reason they are 'faulty' due to this sticky coating, I wouldn't expect people to return them for that reason.

Honest question: What kind of inbreed kapitalist consumer Karen returns stuff for a little fault?
Societey would collapse if all people where so wasteful.
Honest question: How about just not producing throwaway crap and thus reducing waste at the source? Isn't that a grand idea?

Guess this'll be ignored like the rest of the comments and questions you don't agree with or have no smartass answer to.

Back