What software do you use to read the sim cards

Krux

I have a linux laptop that has an integrated sim card reader. But I have absolutly no idea how to mak that thing useful. So since you are planning to support a sim card reader, what software will have by default to make use of the sim cards.

The PHS8 has a fairly comprehensive list of AT commands. Software could be as simple as opening the serial port and sending an "AT+CPBR" command and displaying what comes back. More complex software can be written for whatever is needed.

SIM manager software already exists but they seem to all work with specific hardware, USB and serial readers, so I don't think any of that will be useful.

Point is that it is easy to access the SIM card through the module with even a simple com program (eg: minicom) but more user friendly software could take a while as it probably needs to be written from scratch.

Can I import contacts from it with minicom? Or make telephone calls with minicom? I imagine yes, which makes me happy.

Minicom Is just a serial console... I suppose you could copy and paste to and from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I import contacts from it with minicom?
You can connect to the module with minicom and export withAT+CPBF=MOM

and it'll return the number associated with "MOM" in your SIM's address book. Or you can import back with

AT+CPBW=5555555555,MOM

to write the provided number to the address book with the text "MOM".

And there are more complex commands as well, allowing you to read and write saved SMS messages, or even arbitrary data into the address book, if that's what you want.

Or make telephone calls with minicom?
Technically yes, once everything is setup and connected to a network (another bunch of AT commands that I haven't fully investigated) you should just be able to sendATD 5555555555

and it'll dial the number. There's a little bit more to it than that, you need to also redirect audio from the Pyra's sound system to the module's sound system, but fundamentally this is all that should be required.

If you want to take a look at the commands yourself and see what it can do just read through this: http://www.seapraha.cz/download/phs8-p_atc_v02003a.pdf

Is anyone else old enough to find it hilarious that we're still using AT commands 30 years later?

AT&F&A3&B1&H1&R2X4Q0M1

ATDT555123456789

Buzzz Boing Whirrr Shckhchkchk dong dong whirrr 

Connected

Minicom Is just a serial console... I suppose you could copy and paste to and from it.
That is what I plan to do.

Is anyone else old enough to find it hilarious that we're still using AT commands 30 years later?

AT&F&A3&B1&H1&R2X4Q0M1

ATDT555123456789

Buzzz Boing Whirrr Shckhchkchk dong dong whirrr 

Connected
No, but I do find it a bit amusing, considering they're that old.

But like others have said, they work fine, so no reason to replace them. Plus, if you remember the commands from the old days, you're already set.

Can I import contacts from it with minicom?
You can connect to the module with minicom and export with
AT+CPBF=MOM

and it'll return the number associated with "MOM" in your SIM's address book. Or you can import back with

AT+CPBW=5555555555,MOM

to write the provided number to the address book with the text "MOM".

And there are more complex commands as well, allowing you to read and write saved SMS messages, or even arbitrary data into the address book, if that's what you want.

Or make telephone calls with minicom?
Technically yes, once everything is setup and connected to a network (another bunch of AT commands that I haven't fully investigated) you should just be able to send
ATD 5555555555

and it'll dial the number. There's a little bit more to it than that, you need to also redirect audio from the Pyra's sound system to the module's sound system, but fundamentally this is all that should be required.

If you want to take a look at the commands yourself and see what it can do just read through this: http://www.seapraha.cz/download/phs8-p_atc_v02003a.pdf
No "security handshake" or something like that needed beforehand ?

Why would that be needed? It's all local.
I pretty much don't know anything in that regard, I just thought that the sim-card would not be "controlled" that easily without any authentication (I had a Sim card theft in mind while writing that question).

Why would that be needed? It's all local.
I pretty much don't know anything in that regard, I just thought that the sim-card would not be "controlled" that easily without any authentication (I had a Sim card theft in mind while writing that question).
I could imagine only the part needed to make phone calls is secured with the pin.

But I don't really know either.

Back