Will the Pyra support AT&T?

EssoAir

(I just searched "AT&T" and nothing came up. Sorry if this has been asked before!)

I have a prepaid SIM card with AT&T. It's an unlimited data-only account. It was originally designed to work with the iPad, but it works just fine in hotspots or phones. (I have a Netgear Unite Pro that I use for connecting my laptop, Pandora, et. al to the internet.) As far as I know there's nothing in the SIM that locks it from being used in non-AT&T devices so long as the device supports the bandwidths used by AT&T. So, my question is, will the Pyra support AT&T's bandwidths?

Thanks!

EssoAir

Has he mentioned that he might still use the 3G world module, or that he is considering the 4G US one?

He has to do one or the other if he's going to sell a "mobile" version in North America. He might just not, there's the possibility that he considers it too much work and we just get the wifi only version.

He might just not, there's the possibility that he considers it too much work and we just get the wifi only version.
And that is what I don't want to happen.  My Pyra will get much more use if I can use it for calls and messages on a cell network, but I am looking forward to it even if we only get wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
He has to do one or the other if he's going to sell a "mobile" version in North America. He might just not, there's the possibility that he considers it too much work and we just get the wifi only version.
Will I then be able to order a European version?

Will I then be able to order a European version?
Unless it has the international mobile chip, though, why would you want to?

I.e. if it gets the Europe only chip, it won't be much good here.  Do you travel to Europe a lot?

Unless it has the international mobile chip, though, why would you want to?
There are some networks in Canada that are on the same band as some of the European providers not that that would help it work with AT&T or any other US carrier. Perhaps for the GPS?

So is the verdict still out about whether there will be a US version with a mobile chip? Is it a cost decision or a licensing/legal issue?

To the best of my knowledge (and I'm very much invested in EDs decision on this so I've been watching very closely but may have missed something) he hasn't said anything about the US mobile market at all.

To the best of my knowledge (and I'm very much invested in EDs decision on this so I've been watching very closely but may have missed something) he hasn't said anything about the US mobile market at all.
I have also been waiting, extremely impatiently, for anything official on this.

I guess that ED and his team cannot do much until a fully working prototype exists. And even then they'll probably need help from someone actually located in north america.

I guess that ED and his team cannot do much until a fully working prototype exists. And even then they'll probably need help from someone actually located in north america.
Not surprising! But I was under the impression (before making this thread) that it was the plan all along. I actually thought it was a done deal and was just checking if AT&T was one of the supported betworks. This whole ordeal has taken me by surprise

Back