What software are we still missing on Pandora? (A Wish List)

I like having terminal access everywhere. Just press F12 even in the middle of a game.

I generally find a need for terminal all the time. Pop up/drop down terminal would be great. I use it on all my Linux builds.

I'll throw my hat into this ...

I would love to see a hardware accelerated Blender up in here, and kept more up to date.

I've already had a lot of fun playing with pitSeb's CPU only version. Blender's interface is customizable enough so that you can actually get some stuff done. Sure, rendering is slow, but that's not the only thing to be done. For example, I could tweak walk cycle animations while riding the subway to work. :rolleyes:

I like having terminal access everywhere. Just press F12 even in the middle of a game. I generally find a need for terminal all the time. Pop up/drop down terminal would be great. I use it on all my Linux builds.
1: Get any Terminal.

2: XFCE shortcut to terminal

3: Be happy

Here's the advantage you may define any key for it.

Why not this solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll throw my hat into this ...

I would love to see a hardware accelerated Blender up in here, and kept more up to date.

I've already had a lot of fun playing with pitSeb's CPU only version. Blender's interface is customizable enough so that you can actually get some stuff done. Sure, rendering is slow, but that's not the only thing to be done. For example, I could tweak walk cycle animations while riding the subway to work. :rolleyes:
I'll probably try to build a version against lunixbochs' libGL one day :)

I would like to see an updated emacs version preferably with the latest org mode included and Pandora configuration out of the box. The version I now use it the no X version and that works fine, but most tutorials online are based on the X version.   

I'll probably try to build a version against lunixbochs' libGL one day :)
Gah, if you do, I will do really real game dev work for a really real game company on it!
So, I tried my old PND of Blender, just updating the libGL / libGLU with lunixbochs' one.

Blender 2.49 just crashed :(

But the Blender 2.65a runs. Not usable for now, as you can see here:  blender_hw.png, some texture corruption make the GUI unsable.

but that's a start. I'll think I will grab latest version of Blender and try to get some version runing (I haven't try Player yet)

I'll go back to my previous attempt soon.. I've learnt things with the iDTech 3 port I've done, maybe that will help me finish the iD Tech 4 one. But don't expect high framerate on this one!
Honestly with a game like that I would take gladly whatever you could port. ;)  ..DOOM 3 was one of the true benchmark games for lighting/shading effects and really set a high standard.

I love that game. My top 5 PC games of all time.

Thank you for even considering it. :)

Last edited:
So, I tried my old PND of Blender, just updating the libGL / libGLU with lunixbochs' one.

But the Blender 2.65a runs. Not usable for now, as you can see here: 
attachicon.gif
blender_hw.png, some texture corruption make the GUI unsable.

but that's a start. I'll think I will grab latest version of Blender and try to get some version runing (I haven't try Player yet)
Oh, wow! That is quite a start! Did you try moving the object around at all? Was the screen redraw rate improved at all? I found that the key to getting Blender fit the Pandora screen well, is by adjusting the DPI in system preferences down into something in the 50's dpi range.

From there, Blender's UI and keys are so customizable (versions 2.5 and up, really, I think 2.49 can finally be abandoned), I didn't find myself super constrained by the small screen (much less than say, GIMP). In fact, because of the touch screen and the possibilities granted by the game controls, Blender might be more functional on the Pandora then it is on a laptop when only using a touchpad ... because normally, you need a 3 button mouse at least, when using 3D software. A touchpad really only gives you very basic control.

Man, if this ends up working out, I'm the the Blender community would have a royal freak out!

But the Blender 2.65a runs. Not usable for now, as you can see here: 
attachicon.gif
blender_hw.png, some texture corruption make the GUI unsable.

Oh, wow! That is quite a start! Did you try moving the object around at all? Was the screen redraw rate improved at all? I found that the key to getting Blender fit the Pandora screen well, is by adjusting the DPI in system preferences down into something in the 50's dpi range.

From there, Blender's UI and keys are so customizable (versions 2.5 and up, really, I think 2.49 can finally be abandoned), I didn't find myself super constrained by the small screen (much less than say, GIMP). In fact, because of the touch screen and the possibilities granted by the game controls, Blender might be more functional on the Pandora then it is on a laptop when only using a touchpad ... because normally, you need a 3 button mouse at least, when using 3D software. A touchpad really only gives you very basic control.

Man, if this ends up working out, I'm the the Blender community would have a royal freak out!
I'm fine with droping the 2.49 version...

I couldn't test the 2.65 version, because I don't lnow the menu well enough to be able to select anything...

About 2.50+, I compiled the 2.68 version. But this one just segfault at start. I haven't try to debug anything yet, so I can't say what's wrong. I have many thing going on at the same time now, I have to focus a bit on only a 2 to 3 project. So once I 've publish v0.9 of PPSSPP (it's almost ready, trying to fix a few last thing), I'll focus on Sabre and Blender for the next few days... I'll report progress here.

If I can't get 2.68 to run, Ill fall back to 2.65 again. Also, I think I'll turn Blender Fullscreen at start, to gain a bit of space...

i'd be interested in the fix if you find one for the font. i've exactly the same problem when using gles2 in paperwars that *some* fonts are not displayed correctly, whereas the gles1 version works fine

I would like to see an updated emacs version preferably with the latest org mode included and Pandora configuration out of the box. The version I now use it the no X version and that works fine, but most tutorials online are based on the X version.   
Just adjusted my post from a few days ago. It is pretty easy to install the latest org mode into the current emacs version.  Now I know a bit more about emacs/org mode I don't think a Pandora specific configuration is needed too. 

Still interested in the latest X version though :)  

Back