Dsp Video

cbp said:
Exactly why some developers should test around with videos and give us some benchmarks. And if they can optimize the player to work with any encoding, the :pandora1: will beat everybody's arse, from Archos, Cowon to $3k umpcs. Think of the marketing that can be pulled out of this? HD with super long battery and portability. Sold.

Latest Archos are using OMAP3530, and they probably have bought/developed some well optimized codecs for that platform, after all it's their main market :)
So I would not bet on the Pandora beating them at video decoding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it a couple times already (1 2 3), but I guess I need to say it again. The hardware is more than capable of HD playback. TI has a well-optimized codec that will do 720p playback, but it is not free or open source. The Pandora already plays back everything except h.264 without issue, and even h.264 is close. All it needs is a codec optimized for the hardware - which is actually a lot more complex than it sounds.

Right now there are only a handful of dev boards available to work on, and other projects (UI, web browser, etc) are more important.

Chip said:
TI has a well-optimized codec that will do 720p playback
That's what they said about Da Vinci. :rolleyes:

CyruzDraxs said:
Chip said:
TI has a well-optimized codec that will do 720p playback
That's what they said about Da Vinci. :rolleyes:

Well, the Archos 5 and Archos 7 (also OMAP35XX based) can do 720p h.264 playback, so we know for a fact that the hardware is capable. The Archos PMPs require the purchase of an optional software module to enable h.264 playback, which I would bet is TI's for-sale codec.

I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to have a good codec that accepts most formats and 720p.

omapfbplay is nice and all, but I can't seem to find a good discussion forum on it. :(

If this gathers a lot of interest I would be all for craigx and c. go the Archos route. Have features where they have to pay extra be an extra to the users.

with the archos, you can buy codecs, webbrowser, etc.
That helps to keep the price of the unit down for those who dont use these features.

Most software is free or almost free to produce from the developers' (craig's) view because it's already made and trivial or very easy to port. So expect browsers, mail readers, IM and a lot of other open source apps for free.

The DSP codecs aren't already made because it's new hardware. Even if at first the codecs will have to be bought from TI, it's probable that people will write alternative implementations soon enough.

Even if at first the codecs will have to be bought from TI, it's probable that people will write alternative implementations soon enough.

Hmm, not judging by the response on the Nokia tablets. In any case if the Ti stuff works, and comes for free (not sure about this though), then why worry about replacing them? At least the 8bit char should make porting to the C6x DSP easier than on the C55.

Back