What Is Reesy Working On?

Alvin posted on Mar 27 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
All I could request for the Gen emulator is that Reesy changes that god awful menu, I can't navigate it.

i reckon its the best menu out there. down to scroll down, right or left to scroll forward a pages wortH (good for large rom lists).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reesy posted on Mar 27 2006 at 05:05 PM said:
I've changed my current version to only accept UP,DOWN,LEFT and RIGHT. Diagnals are ignored, this makes the menu alot easier to use. Apart from that I'm not planning on changing the menu that much. I was going to add a file browser but I've gone off that idea. I may add a function to select your own rom directory, if I can be bothered but I'd rather spend my time re-writting rendering routines rather than menus are boring.
Damn right. It's only the diagonals that make it hard to use (and that's because of the silly stick design). I really don't see that you need to change anything else about the menu.

I'm just happy that the things you find interesting also happen to be incredibly useful!

The only feature that I would want is to have an option to shut off the scrolling background. That would be a super simple thing to add. It flickers like mad on the menu with 1.0.1. And NO I don't want to "upgrade" because the gamma and brightness are shit on newer FW versions, it washes out all of the color and makes black grey, making games look shit.

I cant get reesys snes emulator to work, I get it to work once, and second time I try to open game it freezes, and I have to delete it and reload it from my computer

DaveC posted on Mar 27 2006 at 05:58 PM said:
The only feature that I would want is to have an option to shut off the scrolling background. That would be a super simple thing to add. It flickers like mad on the menu with 1.0.1. And NO I don't want to "upgrade" because the gamma and brightness are shit on newer FW versions, it washes out all of the color and makes black grey, making games look shit.
Maybe if images didn't have to be static-linked, or is it all or nothing?

So does DrMD running in 16-bit mode mean that you can emulate the water palette tricks from Sonic 2/3?

It would be nice if DrMD had TV-Out support. I convinced my wife to let me buy the GP2X on the pretext that she would be able to play Sega Genesis (big Genesis fan from her childhood days) on the TV. Well, when we got it and it couldn't play it in full screen, she got mad at me and nearly had me return the GP2X. :eek: I convinced her, though, that it will be added in a future release. ;)

DaveC posted on Mar 27 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
It flickers like mad on the menu with 1.0.1. And NO I don't want to "upgrade" because the gamma and brightness are shit on newer FW versions, it washes out all of the color and makes black grey, making games look shit.
Why don't you just add that to your sig? :)

The FM audio in DrMD seems lacking big-time next to the quite-good YM2612 emulation. For example, charging (press B) in Ecco: Tides of Time results in a painful high pitched squealing noise like a guitar string breaking, when it's supposed to be ... well, a much different sound. You can hear it close-to-authentic in KEGA Fusion with SuperHQ audio and "High Quality YM2612" enabled, or to a lesser extent, in Gens. Sonic 2's audio has a lot of tones that play incorrectly in the music, a friend of mine notes Mystic Cave Zone's music is way off. Aside from that the emulator works excellently.

Did you happen to recieve my 2 PMs though, Reesy, about a 68000 clock control? For people like me who normally run their real MD at 12 MHz or so, and who don't mind overclocking the ARM920T a good bit (I can hit 300 MHz+ with stability on mine most of the time) the speed boosts in intensive games which lag on the real hardware would be appreciable. But something more people could gain benefit from-- LOWERING the emulated 68000 clockrate to 6 MHz or so, or lower-- in my experience most games run at full speed the majority of the time at 5 or even 4 MHz-- even very stressful games like Sonic and Ecco-- and with this clockrate drop the ARM920T would likely only have to run at 133 MHz, or 100 MHz, maybe LOWER To obtain a full 60 FPS-- which could result in a fairly dramatic battery life improvement (not as big as if we could lower the backlight brightness, but still significant.)

Please tell me what you think, and keep up the great work with DrMD and your other projects! :)

Epicenter posted on Mar 28 2006 at 01:07 AM said:
The FM audio in DrMD seems lacking big-time next to the quite-good YM2612 emulation. For example, charging (press B) in Ecco: Tides of Time results in a painful high pitched squealing noise like a guitar string breaking, ..

I remember from the GP32 version that he doesn't update the FM registers every frame or something like that. The good thing about that is you gain framerate, the bad is like you say the sound is off in some games. I noticed in Thunderforce III that the music timing is a bit off. It would be nice to have a setting for how often to update the FM registers so you can set it depending on the framerate/sound balance that you want.

DaveC posted on Mar 27 2006 at 10:01 PM said:
Epicenter posted on Mar 28 2006 at 01:07 AM said:
The FM audio in DrMD seems lacking big-time next to the quite-good YM2612 emulation. For example, charging (press B) in Ecco: Tides of Time results in a painful high pitched squealing noise like a guitar string breaking, ..

I remember from the GP32 version that he doesn't update the FM registers every frame or something like that. The good thing about that is you gain framerate, the bad is like you say the sound is off in some games. I noticed in Thunderforce III that the music timing is a bit off. It would be nice to have a setting for how often to update the FM registers so you can set it depending on the framerate/sound balance that you want.

This would be a great thing to make adjustable...

I don't think there is a next version planned just yet. If you read the reesey snes hack thread you'll see that he's rather busy with snes at the moment. He did mention that he's updated his code to ignore diagonals on the menu, but I think that was the only change he had made (a good one though!)

Back