What If...

HackModford

If they ever came out with a newer handheld what you want it to do?

3D Hardware!
A Real Joystick
2 more shoulder buttons
Maybe a couple more face buttons
Wi-Fi

List your desires and maybe they will give the company some ideas!

..lol

edit: yeah there has been many threads like this and now there is a new console with most of this stuff set to be released; the Pandora - www.openpandora.org

HackModford said:
With no one at GPH understanding english, and the community manager & western distributor being involved in a competiting product ?

Last edited by a moderator:
HackModford said:
If they ever came out with a newer handheld what you want it to do?
Nothing, I'd avoid it like the plague :)

Lets face it, we know GPH are working on a new handheld, and we know they'll screw it up as much as possible before releasing it. So why bother even talking about it?

Besides, we have a new console thats being created by people that know what they are talking about.

We have an saying in france for that, it's "having the ass between two chairs".

GPH don't really know what they want to make, an homebrew machine or a gameboy wanabe ? The result is a console being a flawed product in both markets.

The GP2X isn't a bad console for us, I'm happy I have one, but it hasn't been designed for us in the first place, it just turned out it was acceptable for our usage. With another device made by (people who know) us, and by us I mean both the simple users and the coders, there is no more reason to bother with GPH products anymore.

The GP2X is a great and unique product. It is of little importance to me that GPH designed it to be a PMP first and a game machine second, since I only use it for making and playing games and it performs those two tasks very well. Of course some proper 2D graphics acceleration and a proper stick (for the F100) would have made the GP2X much better, but it suffices as it is, at least for my needs.

The Pandora was designed for game playing and development from the ground up, as its design and specs indicate. A new GPH handheld would have to get a lot of things right from the very beginning in order to wake my interest, and it should cost significantly less than the Pandora (since its performance and capabilities would likely be lower). It would be fun to watch the alternative handheld market grow by yet another product, so I'm cheering GPH on, even if not nearly as loud as I'm cheering for the Pandora guys :)

A Real Joystick

Real, huh?
technology_104a_001.jpg

Hardly a handheld <_<

A pink console would be great!

Funny, other girls at this forum growled at the idea when I suggested it... :unsure:

@Alex.
Good post. Full Ack.

@Squidge

It was GPH's console, who feeded this forum the last 2 years and I think without the GP2x the Pandora would never saw the lights of day.
So they get at least this one right and deserve some respect.
Oh you mean they are not perfect? You are right on this. But the Pandora will not be perfect either. Even to claim this would be ridiculous.
So you, craigix, EvilDragon and the others can build better handhelds than GPH? Prove it. Show us this new and fancy console and then we can talk again.

I hope GPH build a new console, because I like underdogs. And I hope there are some coders out there who will ignore the flaws of this new machine und write great software for it. People like zodttd, franxis, notaz, slaanesh, Alex., Squidge and all the others I forgot.

Face it: Hardware is more or less irrelevant and overestimated. The software and the coder are important. And the GP2x has lots from both...

Regards,
Stephan

The only problem with gph is that they make stupid decisions, and even if they ask people for there opinion (very rare) they usually ignore all of them.

Case in point - People asked for better usb support, so GPH removed the usb support from the new GP2X completely, and then implemented a built in card reader. Way to alienate the devs, and we all know that without devs, there's no software, and with no software, the thing is dead.

The Pandora isn't perfect either, but they are asking for advice, *and* acting upon that advice. So it should be a lot closer to perfect than any GPH console.

Trust me pandora is not perfect...there are some people on this forum that want pandora to do things that are honest to god not even remotely reasonable...

Still pandora at least has things that the community have asked for. like the little things we never got like wifi and dual sdhc slots, I don't know why we got those but we have em.

If something like Pandora is developed by GPH and Pandora is not ready yet I could be tempted to buy it. More important than the hardware will be the motivation from devs to buy it and develop for it.

I ain't touching this Pandora at all unless it:

1) Drops to a price more suitable for a handheld

2) Has emulation software that is vastly superior to that of the GP2X, in other words full speed emulation of pretty much every system that isn't perfect on the GP2X (especially SNES and PSX)

3) Better video and audio playback support than the GP2X (more codecs, fully updateable)

And before you flame me for having these requirements, think about the price point being discussed for this machine. I am not sinking such money into a handheld unless it's superior to the GP2X in virtually every way; it's just not worth it otherwise. I don't produce my own emulators or homebrew software, I'm not DEMANDING that people do so for the Pandora, what I am saying is that this is what it would take for me to consider buying one. It's got to give me a lot of things that I can't get on the GP2X or it's a pointless acquisition.

If it doesn't happen, fine. I'll just look for another machine that gets the job done. I am extremely pessimistic about this new machine to say the least, so many question marks surround it.

Clad said:
HackModford said:
With no one at GPH understanding english, and the community manager & western distributor being involved in a competiting product ?

GPH does speak English. English is very common as a second language in South Korea

emulazione88 said:
I ain't touching this Pandora at all unless it:

1) Drops to a price more suitable for a handheld
Hmm, the way I think about it is that the GP2X was £129, and the Pandora will be £199. The upgrades and extra stuff is well worth the additional £70. Can't really expect every handheld to come out at the same price as the GP2X..

GPH does speak English.

Not in my experience. There was one person who spoke fluent Engrish. When she left, it was very difficult to get anyone else to reply with something that was readable (if they even replied at all).

You know that is not true. I have contacted GPH numerous times recently and I have never had a problem.

I know. GP2X.com is GPH. Additionally I have had email conversations with many people at GPH and not once have I had a problem communicating with them

Back