Edge Magazine (uk) Jan 2006 - Full Page About Gp2x

abigsmurf posted on Dec 22 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
That said, the Edge scores for NiGHTS and Gunstar heroes are pretty unforgivable
what scores did they give them?

Last edited by a moderator:
They seem to think that the joystick is analogue (are people really that stupid that they see something sticking up in the air and automatically assume it's analogue?), and they describe Quake as an 'unplayable test' :(.

I would post a scan but it seems I work in the only multimedia studio in the country that doesn't have a scanner :blink:. I could have sworn we had 2 last time I checked.

Its a fair review, proberbly the only REAL magazine review I have seen.
All the others have look like copy and pasted information from the internet and not done by testing a unit themselfs.
I thought the opposite. I'm reading a lot of stuff here that seems to have come straight from the web (didn't that quote about the buttons being so close together that you can press all 4 at once come from liksang?)

Tetedeiench posted on Dec 22 2005 at 02:38 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 22 2005 at 01:25 PM said:
You idiot person on about the PSP. Once they change the setting in firmware you wont need to do it! They wer enot originally there you idiot!
OH RLY !

Then why not from the start, why the scanlines, why the flickering, why the diagonal lines, why do i have to mess up with settings to try to approach manually a value than can be obtained through CALCULUS ?

Mmmh ?

As for the idiot part... i guess it pretty much demonstrate how clever you are.

My unit isn't faulty, as in games, the screen is somewhat ok. Still with the scanlines, still with some lines, but less noticeable due to displaying an animated image with lots of different colors.

But in the menu... *puke*
Its not the screen, its the software. You can say 'its a buggy heap of shit' but you cant say the screens bad. My screen is *perfect*, and I can watch fast-action movies without feeling seasick, cant say that about the PSP. Shitty shitty sony ¬_¬

They have certainly written their way out of anymore adverts from us.

I think they spent about 5 mins and a visit to liksangs website for that review.

dan miracle posted on Dec 22 2005 at 03:17 PM said:
abigsmurf posted on Dec 22 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
That said, the Edge scores for NiGHTS and Gunstar heroes are pretty unforgivable
what scores did they give them?
They famously gave Gunstar 6 out of 10 and have said since that they made a mistake. Same for the original Doom, which I think got a 6 or 7. And then they proceed to give toss like Turok 2 on the N64 9 out of 10.

I seem to recall NiGHTS got a decent mark, maybe a eight? Can't remember. The one that annoys me the most is Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike got 6/10 - they made up some random shit and marked the game down for it. :angry:

Yes, I'm bitter! ;)

Edit: One of the criticisms for Doom was that you can't engage the monsters in conversation! :lol:

Mr Doctor posted on Dec 22 2005 at 02:23 PM said:
Tetedeiench posted on Dec 22 2005 at 02:38 PM said:
sam fisher posted on Dec 22 2005 at 01:25 PM said:
You idiot person on about the PSP. Once they change the setting in firmware you wont need to do it! They wer enot originally there you idiot!
OH RLY !

Then why not from the start, why the scanlines, why the flickering, why the diagonal lines, why do i have to mess up with settings to try to approach manually a value than can be obtained through CALCULUS ?

Mmmh ?

As for the idiot part... i guess it pretty much demonstrate how clever you are.

My unit isn't faulty, as in games, the screen is somewhat ok. Still with the scanlines, still with some lines, but less noticeable due to displaying an animated image with lots of different colors.

But in the menu... *puke*
Its not the screen, its the software. You can say 'its a buggy heap of shit' but you cant say the screens bad. My screen is *perfect*, and I can watch fast-action movies without feeling seasick, cant say that about the PSP. Shitty shitty sony ¬_¬

Are you going to tell me the horizontal dark lines we clearly see between pixels, refered as the scanlines, are a software problem ?

Or are definitly not worth of notice ?

What do you rpefer, a LCD screen without scanlines, or one with, huuuum ?

You add to this choice the flickering, size, resolution, and diagonal lines ( software problems yeah if you want. THey are still problems), and you can't say the gp2x LCD is better than the PSP, having all these flaws.

That review was pretty closed minded, those edge guys are too far up their own arses.

LIZARDKING posted on Dec 22 2005 at 11:07 PM said:
SONY posted on Dec 22 2005 at 06:03 AM said:
I don't care what anyone says about EDGE magazine UK, I love them! :)

This person should be banned!!

Look at this persons Name,sig, avatar...dumb comment... man o man...
lolz, what's wrong with my avatar and exactly why should I be banned? Am I not allowed to be stubborn with my views? :rolleyes:

For the definitive gaming facts and reviews, please click on...EDGE MAGAZINE

abigsmurf posted on Dec 22 2005 at 05:08 AM said:
the comment on the TFT is pretty weird but the joystick comment is fair. I've only got my joystick working well now by cutting off the shaft and glueing it to it sits 1mm higher (they thumbstick itself starts hitting the casing as the hole distorts)

Sony has a right to his own opinion, and he is not baiting anyone, just being himself.

The joystick.

abigsmurf, I have told the forum how to fix that, the motherboard is shifted in the case, you need to loosen the screws quite a bit and then move it until the stick no longer hits the case.

I have had the stick hitting the case, I shifted my motherboard and the stick no longer hit the case, kudos for going to drastic cutting and glueing for no reason.

I work with my hands, I also have a good grasp of physical objects, I have been dissasembling and reassembling things for as long as I can remember, I am 23 now and I recall fixing things 20 years ago.

I lucked out on the GP2X because it had a properly positioned motherboard when I got it. After it shifted, I knew it could go back to the proper place, and it did.

I wonder if anyone else noticed that they think it is an analog stick?
They are so amused at their own writing they must have it made into bedsheets and posters for their rooms, stuck up ignorant bastards, I wonder if they even touched one?

nubie posted on Dec 22 2005 at 06:26 PM said:
I wonder if anyone else noticed that they think it is an analog stick?
They are so amused at their own writing they must have it made into bedsheets and posters for their rooms, stuck up ignorant bastards, I wonder if they even touched one?
Like everything else, they touched it for about ten minutes and write like they're the experts on it. I notice that battery life concerns are raised, and they mention it's a disposable power source - so alkalines it is then.

Good old Edge!

AND they cuss the software for it, even though they're the very first beta releases in most cases, along with the hardware. Some more needlessly negative writing from Edge - it's like they just hate gaming in general these days, the miserable gits.

Reading the comments before actually reading the scan, I was expecting far worse than what is on paper. It may not be the most revolutionary review ever, but I don't see where they are so wrong it's 'not worth the paper'.

You surely don't expect them to write that they love the LCD when all they see is scanlines and flickering(though maybe a more technically skilled reviewer might have noted that these are software problems). The joystick is not analogue yeah, that shouldn't happen in a respected magazine like Edge, but on the other hand they do mention a lot of emu's without mentioning that most of them run at all but 100%(maybe except for DrMD). And I doubt anyone will deny that it's a real energy sucker, needing specially fabricated photo batteries to give it a usable timeframe. Plus they did mention the video formats compatibility, which I find pretty forgiving considering what it does in the current state.

It could have spend a little more time discussing the potential for the handheld, the community and the fact that most of the GP32 scene is adopting it's new big brother. But I don't think you can hold it against them if they decide to refrain from speculating on things yet to come.

Sure, the problems can be solved, but all in all I think it's a fair article.

seems they haven't even played the system after reading it, merely read what people are saying about it.

They describe Q1 and 2 as being unplayable when Q1 is perfectly playable, even if the frame rate does drop if there are more than 3 enemies on screen. It's certainly as playable as the GBA doom1 which had similar frame rates with dynamic lighting on...

told the forum how to fix that, the motherboard is shifted in the case, you need to loosen the screws quite a bit and then move it until the stick no longer hits the case.

I have had the stick hitting the case, I shifted my motherboard and the stick no longer hit the case, kudos for going to drastic cutting and glueing for no reason.

I work with my hands, I also have a good grasp of physical objects, I have been dissasembling and reassembling things for as long as I can remember, I am 23 now and I recall fixing things 20 years ago.

I'd rather mess around with a pice of external HW that's removable then unscrew the case and mess with the innards.

modifying the stick also allowed we to coat it with a rubber substance to improve the grip

What the hell machine did they play?,

Control stick spongy and stiff with a big dead zone? not that I have noticed and I've played it a damn sight more then them.

fire buttons so close you can press them all at once by accident? only if you are a cack handed Cartman sized fat arse with big fat fingers.

Quake unplayable?, Hexen better? WTF?.

I don't think they had one I think they did a search on the net to pool information and then merged it into one crap page with a few pictures they got off the net aswell.

What a hatchet-job.

"Opting to use a single analogue stick..."
- Nice to display utter ignorance so early in the piece.

"...[buttons] so closely grouped that you could easily press all four at once..."
- Sounds lifted from Lik-Sang's hatchet-job. They forgot to mention that you can also very easily hit each of the buttons individually.

"...having to step reluctantly back into that world of disposable power sources leaves a discouraging impression."
- They can't possibly be this stupid.

"...most menu options leading to differently coloured file browsers with otherwise identical functionality."
- ???

"The most capable emulators at present are for less-demanding systems such as C64 and NES, though more ambitious projects have the likes of the Neo-Geo CD and PlayStation in their sights."
- AFAIK no one was seriously talking about PSX emulation until Zodttd released his beta on Dec. 3rd. DrMD was released in all its glory 6 days later. This indicates that the reviewer is lying by omitting DrMD.

Edit: The magazine could have gone to press sometime during those 6 days, so of course I can't prove they knew about DrMD... I must've had a brain cramp.

Back