Mini Mame Cab Using An Ipac With Break Out Board

I'm building a mini mame cabinet containing a GP2X (pictures soon, its not finished ;) ) Its using a real arcade joystick and buttons through an IPAC (from ultimarc.com) connected to the GP2X via a BOB like so:

Joystick & Buttons -> IPAC -> Bob -> GP2X

yeah, that may be a bit over complicated, but I wanted it to work, and I'll simplify it later if I can. (The IPAC is 'borrowed' from an arcade controlled I built for my PC, and I'll be using a minIPac eventually, which is the same but smaller.)

anyway, I've read all the forum posts/wiki/docs about issues with powering the bob on versions of gp2x etc etc etc ad nauseam, and I've worked out most of it, wired everything up, plugged stuff in, and the joystick now works! :)

my question is: how can I setup the fire-button inputs?

the IPAC maps button inputs to standard keypresses, defaulting to Mame's setup on a PC ie:
- fire1 = 'CTRL'
- fire2 = 'ALT'
- fire3 = 'SPACE'
- fire4 = I can't remember, maybe left-shift.
- player1 start = '1'
- player1 credit = '5'
etc. and these can be reconfigured.

but... what can I map these values to, how can I set things up so that they can be used in gpMame?

I'm guessing I either need some way to map them to "X-button", "VOLUME-DOWN", "LEFT-SHOULDER-BUTTON", "START", "SELECT" etc
or, I need some way to re-map the keypresses as they are intercepted. or something. gpMame only has options for each 'real' gp2x button, doesn't seem to allow for other arbitrary keypresses.

any ideas?

Back