About The Locked Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam fisher

Website
blog.peter-r.co.uk
Me and Fluffy argued as we both assumed something. That POINTLESS OFF TOPIC argument was over.

Then I and ASN were having a debate RELATED to the SUBJECT MATTER. It was ON TOPIC. We were talking about how we interpret the "missing frequencies" in digitally sampled music.

Then Badtoad starts a topic about it being locked and claimed his question was answered. It was not a question that can just be answered. This is called a DISCUSSION BOARD. Not a Q&A board. You don't just get one answer, it for discussing and debating!

I know i'm going to get banned for this but i don't care. Fluffy insulted me as even more than I did her in that topic. All because she incorrectly interpreted Magus's post and didn't want to admit that the great overload Fluffy could make a mistake.

Furthermore, rather than allowing us to discuss the closure of the topic she locked that one. Claiming that you "shouldn't question the mods". That is a DICTATORSHIP. In the world today, even if you are sentenced in court, you can STILL APPEAL. Thus i see no reason why Badtoad should not be able to "appeal" for that topic and absolutely no reason why that second topic should be banned other than Fluffy want to dictate.

I got in trouble before for calling Rico a "Nazi like mod" and guess what, I think Hando agreed as he isn't here any more. Fluffy didn't like Rico then but in my opinion she has now become what she most despised.

Which rules were broken?

I can't seem to find the rules anywhere.

edit: okay found them (at the top). It would appear that that many posts in that thread did in fact break the rules, but the rules are incredibly strict

eg "Posts containing personal attacks on another user will be edited or deleted with no warning or consent" - well this is the rule that was broken - but the enforcement procedure was in contradiction of the rules.

This is why whenever all these inane topics crop up with people nominating everyone who ever written a line of code for an emulator to be a mod, I always say we don't need more mods, we need less... there's only a few topics that get 'heated' and 99% of the flaming (and actual raw posts) are in the "New Machine" topics.... I said it time and time again, it needs its own forum so when a flamewar crops up it can be isolated and dealt with and not ruin the whole thread, like we saw with that first one and now this MP3 thread.....

The moderators here act inconsistently and the rules are very vague and oppressive... they basically say you can't debate anything that might cause a heated argument, like religion or politics for that reason..... well guess what, not everyone is a bright ray of sunshine all the time and sometimes people get a little more vocal than the mods might like and while I think you can discuss wave superposition without calling someone an idiot moron from the kingdom of dumb the topic locking has still gotten out of hand.

And when a moderator comes forward and says she's tired of this place because she has to do her job, moderate, well that's a good indicator that person probably shouldn't be moderating if they have that much of an emotional aversion or investment in the forum that it is such a big deal to perform basic moderation tasks, without kneejerk reactions of locking topics to avoid having to do real actual low level moderation, like going after the source of the problem and not stifling open conversation.....

OK I'll get off my soapbox now. But give it some thought.

That thread degenerated from a nice discussion to a never-ending battle of the egos. Stop bitching left and right about how the mods don't properly do their job (how much do they get paid for doing this, btw?), and get on with your life.

The blunter solution would have been to delete sam's insults right when they started, but then you'd all gasp in horror at the CENSORSHIP :eek:

Conversely, if you do a job for free you are volunteering and you don't get to complain when you have to do it.....

Stealth Bagel said:
Conversely, if you do a job for free you are volunteering and you don't get to complain when you have to do it.....
Erm, no? You can quit any time you want, with no obligations, because it's volunteering?

By the way, reading your previous (long) post, you lead to believe that fluffy closed that topic, well she didn't. She also complained about moderating after she announced her request to hando to be demoded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stealth Bagel said:
This is why whenever all these inane topics crop up with people nominating everyone who ever written a line of code for an emulator to be a mod, I always say we don't need more mods, we need less... there's only a few topics that get 'heated' and 99% of the flaming (and actual raw posts) are in the "New Machine" topics.... I said it time and time again, it needs its own forum so when a flamewar crops up it can be isolated and dealt with and not ruin the whole thread, like we saw with that first one and now this MP3 thread.....

The moderators here act inconsistently and the rules are very vague and oppressive... they basically say you can't debate anything that might cause a heated argument, like religion or politics for that reason..... well guess what, not everyone is a bright ray of sunshine all the time and sometimes people get a little more vocal than the mods might like and while I think you can discuss wave superposition without calling someone an idiot moron from the kingdom of dumb the topic locking has still gotten out of hand.

And when a moderator comes forward and says she's tired of this place because she has to do her job, moderate, well that's a good indicator that person probably shouldn't be moderating if they have that much of an emotional aversion or investment in the forum that it is such a big deal to perform basic moderation tasks, without kneejerk reactions of locking topics to avoid having to do real actual low level moderation, like going after the source of the problem and not stifling open conversation.....

Not sure if you noticed, but I have already asked for my mod status to go to someone else!

Trooper is one of the better mods here. Notice he locked it at the request of Nova. Otherwise, it would still be open.

And Nova is the only one who admitted reporting it. I'm sure Peter and Clare caused many people to report that thread ;)

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Trooper is one of the better mods here. Notice he locked it at the request of Nova. Otherwise, it would still be open.
My point is had the thread been moderated correctly it wouldn't have needed closing.

OK I just made this post twice and both times it vanished soon after. Almost like someone deleted it. case in point maybe......

to explain my prior post, which was misconstrued, I didn't mean a mod can't quit, I meant a mod who volunteers his or her time to something that they hate doing, like moderating, doesn't really have a right to complain about doing it, they may as well just quit and find something that they like to do ....

Agreed that there is much more to effective moderation than deleting posts I don't like, locking threads that show any sign of unpleasantness or banning people who made them etc. If the moderators we have now aren't up to that they probably shouldn't be moderators.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Stealth Bagel said:

Not sure if you noticed, but I have already asked for my mod status to go to someone else!

Can I have it??

Stealth Bagel said:
OK I just made this post twice and both times it vanished soon after. Almost like someone deleted it. case in point maybe......
I've caught one of your stray posts hiding in another thread. You should keep a better eye on them, so that they don't go stray again :p

Christ, if you all (that is, everyone involved) stopped bitching and looked at what your posts actually were, you'd probably see that it degenerated into a great big flame war with lots of capital letters. It was painful to read. If you really want to talk about wave superposition, try not to (ab)use a thread which is related only tangentially to that.

My two ¤.

nickspoon said:
Christ, if you all (that is, everyone involved) stopped bitching and looked at what your posts actually were, you'd probably see that it degenerated into a great big flame war with lots of capital letters. It was painful to read. If you really want to talk about wave superposition, try not to (ab)use a thread which is related only tangentially to that.

My two ¤.
Agreed! I think the mods here are pretty good. The right people are banned, for the right reasons and I have never seen an interesting thread being closed. And even if that happens, you can always start a new one.

Oh.. btw Alex for Mod! He is perfect for the job. Of course Alex could turn into an evil and mean suppressor, we all know absolute power corrupts. That's a risk I'm willing to take :D

I'm sure Peter and Clare caused many people to report that thread ;)
I am pretty sure I left the thread quite early on, Pete went on for the duration.. I was not interested in the "I know physics from school" aspect in the end.

And Nova is the only one who admitted reporting it. I'm sure Peter and Clare caused many people to report that thread ;)
Nova wants to be a moderator, that is why.

I posted near the start of that topic and while I'm not really into the physics side of music, I found it informative to say the least. However, I read all of the posts on the last page and was baffled with why it had come to such a mess. It really is disturbing to think that tht is the state that these boards have gotten to: where people bitch and argue while taking pot shots at everyone else. Yes, everyone has an opinion but it must be respected, whether it be right or wrong.

And I for one think that the mods do a good job sorting this place out. The only problem with these forums are the people who are too stubborn and opinionated to see beyond what they believe. And Fluffy, if you do end up leaving, you did a good job modding the forums while you had that status.

CABBAGES said:
oh my god. I cant remember much about physics except that V=IR
And Thus as P=IV, then P=I²R . I actually don't remember much of the physics until i'm put into a situation where I have to use it. It is worrying :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back